Distributing Virgin Media Cable to multiple rooms?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by jam_gol1, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jam_gol1

jam_gol1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

is it possible to use a distribution amplifer normally used for satellite and terrestrial broadcasts to distribute either:
    - the output from the set-top box to other TVs
    - or the input... to allow me to have additional set-top boxes in other rooms

I was imagining using something like a standard home distribution unit with triplex wall plates?

What I don't want is to have to get Virgin back to re-run cables... i can do that easily myself at the minute while I'm running cables in on house renovation.

Any ideas where I can find more information or what I can search for on the web?

regards

J

2. essjay

essjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    - the output from the set-top box to other TVs

Yes you could use the output of the STB to provide pictures on other TV's but you will only be able to watch the channel that the STB is currently set to.

or the input... to allow me to have additional set-top boxes in other rooms

Yes again but you have to rent further STB's from virginmedia

3. jam_gol1

jam_gol1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I did it using something like: Labgear Home Distribution Unit would I connect the incoming cable coax as SAT1 input? Take it to my main room and put one of these on the wall: PSW242T ? Making the return feed available on all the TV outputs on the remaining room wallplates?

An if I wanted multiple set-top boxes could I use this kind of thing in each room: PSW132
    where I'd plug all my cable STBs into the satellite output?

I suppose the basic question here is can I distribute the cable signal as if it was satellite.

regards

J

4. essjay

essjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The Labgear Home Distribution Unit that you mention would be no good at all looking at the specs. The UHF downlink only goes down to 470 Mhz where as most of the cable networks start at around thw 120Mhz mark.

Also the return path is far too low for cable networks which are usually between 30 - 60 Mhz

5. KillingTime

KillingTime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from Maplin for a fiver, and I've had two set top boxes, one analogue feed and my cable modem running off it with no problems what so ever.
    [​IMG]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=47195&doy=27m9

Edit: actually mine was QQ70M 4-Way Splitter 5-1000MHz but it should still work tho...

6. rcsmith

rcsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Want they distribute additional boxes at the time of install for a nominal fee ??

7. philr40

philr40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use a loftbox (http://www.tvlink.co.uk/loftbox.htm) to distribute the output from the NTL reciever to 6 other TV's in my house.

My TV aerial and home security system also connect to the loft box, so all TV's in the house have NTL, Terrestrial and camera feeds - the only limitation is that I can't change the NTL channel from another room in the house like you can do with Sky receivers.

I looked at other distribution boxes, but decided to go with this one there are some useful add-ons you can buy to expand the solution.

8. Maz21

Maz21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can the terrestrial feed receive digital & NTL?

Is there a box of magic tricks in the wall plates or is it just 2 UHF signal that interfere with each other?

9. paceman101

paceman101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly apologies for hijacking your thread!

I have a similar issue.
    Ariel in loft, into a passive 4-way splitter which goes off to sockets around the house (all in when I bought the house).
    What I would like to do is connect the RF feed from my Virgin box to the other sockets around the house. So, I have a nice reel of coax and though I could run that from the cable box, up top the loft and connect it in to the existing splitter. However, I don't want to disconnect the main ariel feed from the splitter so I guess I need to combine the signals somehow.

I know I can't use a UHF/VHF combiner, so I need something else (don't want to spend a load of cash). Would the unit from Maplin that KillingTime suggested work? From looking at the site that seems to be a splitter and not a combiner.
    Would I also need to amplify the signal at any point (e.g. as soon as it leaves the cable box?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

10. paceman101

paceman101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

11. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yep, a splitter fitted in reverse should work - obviously you'd only need the 2-way version though.

Listed as a splitter, but should work as a combiner. Other sites list the same item as a splitter/combiner. It's also confirmed a couple of times at the bottom of the item's FAQ :)

If you run into any problems, then a diplexer should do the job for a little bit more money (less loss too) :)

Hopefully not, try it without first.