Distributing Two Skybox Signals to Other Rooms

Tosh McCaber

Standard Member
Reaction score
PLEASE SEE MY NEW QUERY BELOW

I have two Sky boxes- front room and back room.

My original back room Sky box, which was the first that we bought, has an aerial leading from its RF2 output, leading into a four-way by-pass amplifier hub, which carried the signal from that box to televisions in our front room and three other rooms in the house, sharing the signal.

We now have Multiroom, with a Sky+ box in the front room. I would like to use the original lead runnin g from the old Sky box amp to the front room, and use it to connect an RF2 output from the new Sky+ box through to the backroom hub distribution setup, to supply a second Sky channel to the three remaining other rooms, on two diffrent frequencies.

I'm scratching my head as to how to connection for such a setup. If I use the aerial input to the original back room Sky box, I won't have Freeview to any teles served by this. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I only have basic technical skills. As I mentioned, if I connect into the aerial input on the Skybox, we lose the Freeview input facility- no aerial. RF1 is marked "Output", rather than input- do I still connect my feed from the front room Sky+ box into RF1, notwithstanding?

So. it's terrestrial aerial to Aerial In one one receiver, RF2 Out from that receiver to Aerial In on the other receiver, RF2 Out from that receiver to the distibution device. You specify different output channels for the two receivers, and tune a programme on the extension TVs to each of those.

"Job" done.:smashin:

As you say, Stevenage Neil, "Job done!" Thanks very much for the heads up, logiciel- eveything works as you described it!

You're welcome TMcC, and S N I couldn't have done the job without you. :laugh:

Aha- One further question- I now have each of the two skybox signals available on two separate stations on each outpost tele. (Also a much better Freeview signal and range of channels, since the terrestrial aerial going into the front room is a high gain one!)

I have a magic eye on one of the outpost teles, which controlled the hub Skybox. I can still control the hub skybox sky channels via the magic eye, but not the front room box channels, when tuned to that station on my tele.

Is this because it is passsing through the hub skybox, or is there a way to control the front room box, when I'm on its tele station?

You'll need to use a wireless IR extender for one of them.

Thanks for the previous advice- it all worked out perfectly. Channel I on TV gave the rear room signal, and Channel 2, the front room HD box signal

However, I've a new question. You'll note that I wrote “gave”.

Unfortunately, the original rear room sky box has just gone on the blink (it was 10 years old). So my daughter has passed me her Sky box to replace it. However, I have found that, whilst I can get a great picture from each box, it is only when the other is switched off. On checking, I find that both boxes are transmitting on the same frequency- Channel 68.

I am going to now change the frequency of the replacement box. Two queries.

The first- to which channel should I change it?

And secondly, (sorry, I'm a bit of a novice at this), I presume that, whenever I do change it to a different channel, I will no longer have that channel visible. Presumably, a simple case of auto re-tuning the TV?

Last edited:
We sorted that question earlier: "You specify different output channels for the two receivers" and you commented "everything works as you described it".
Whatever channel you changed the previous receiver to you change this one to.
It's called that, changing the channel, rather than changing the frequency.
On each of your TVs you tune an analogue programme number, usually 6, and in your case also 7, to the channels, such as 68 and 60.

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience!

I have taken the plunge, and retuned the replacement sky box to channel 62, then auto re-tuned the tele.

Results: SkyHD box (Channel 68)- Channel 1 on tele: Replacement sky box (Modified to Channel 60)- Channel 2 on tele.

Unfortunately, both channels when viewed, have a slight “fuzz” to their picture. But the strange thing is, on viewing the replacement sky box, which is on tele channel 2, when I switched the box off and then on again whilst leaving the tele on that channel, the picture became absolutely sharp. It will stay that way, until I select the other skyHD box- channel 1. Then, on switching back to channel 2, the same thing happens- I've to momentarily switch off the sky box with the remote, then switch on again, for an absolutely sharp picture.

Unfortunately, the front room signal on Channel 1 remains slightly fuzzy, no matter what. With the previous box, the skybox signal was rock solid all the time. The skyHD box signal was a little less sharp, but much better than now.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Last edited:
62 and 68 are obviously still fairly close to one another. Why don't you retune one of them to somewhere in the 20s, miles away from both 62 and 68, so they won't be interfering with each other at all?

Yes, try other channels - and don't the TVs also have direct connections to their own receivers to give perfect reception?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom