Distributing TV over CAT5

W

wintermute

Doods

I need to get a TV signal into a fitted wardrobe what is holdin all my kit in me new house. The missus has had enuff holes and carpets up and so i need to do it with the infrastructure i have. Basically that leaves me the choice of running a UTP Cat5 through existing holes. Has anyone distributed TV over CAT5? Will it work or am i whistlin dixie?

WM

vex

Novice Member
You can only run a single channel at a time over cat5e.

Basically the UHF Tv band is way out of the band CAT5e so we need to convert the signal down to a composite format before it is sent off to the tv locations.

If you are only feeding one chanel at a time to one or multiple screens this is fine, that alternatives are a centrally located freeview / sky box for each tv/screen, a switching matrix like Nexus (ww.avnex.co.uk) or wire using Cat7 rather than Cat5e which can pass the full UHF Tv band.

W

wintermute

Thank you all.

While waiting for my BALUNS i have taken a "suck it and see" approach. I terminated the cable and connected to the antenna. Low and behold it works great. TV signal well strong enuff for freeview. I dont know what the BALUNS will do but i will give them a try since they are bought now.

Nic Rhodes

A single CAT5e lead will take three component cables down it and would be my solution. Just rewiring a cat 5 I have done and it asking for problems. It CERTAINLY needs to be screened bare minimum and even then there are issues!!

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews
Top Bottom