1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

distributing sky and terrestrial signal to other rooms - amp/loftbox?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by loungefly, May 18, 2005.

1. loungefly

loungefly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that you can send the sky signal to other rooms in the house using a amp or loftbox, but does this also send the terrestrial signal to other rooms as well ? From the info I have read it not that clear how you can view sky and terrestrial on the tv as you only need a single aerial point in the additional rooms. Also can use this feed in the additional rooms be connected to an freeview box/tuner?

2. raevbv

raevbv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yup I'm trying to do this too. I've just run some cable (advertised as suitable for SKy digital) from the signal out socket on my sky+ box to the ariel in socket on my 32" LCD screen in the next room. But I've noticed a real loss in picture quality. Anyone know why???

3. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are just using aerial standard coax and comparing to a SCART signal them you can expect big differences in picture quality

4. raevbv

raevbv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so is the best option to reverse things and connect my sky+ direct to my LCD screen (via Scart) and run the coax from there to my smaller TV.

Or are there any other options as this will mean a lot of rewiring?

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your best option is to avoid coax where ever possible. I don't know the sky box, what outputs do you have?

6. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Loungefly,

THe answer is yes, the freeview signals should pass through your loftbox/amp and the sky box without any problems. Which would then allow it to be distributed throughout the house.

raevbv, does you cable have a CAI number on it? This is the only real signal of a cable being approved for Sky digital. What sort of distances are you running and what are your connections like at either end.

Coax is good, but as the Dr said, no replacement for even composite scart connection. The other alternative could be to run mini coax between your sky box and the 32" screen. This would at least present the signals in their composite format, the same as a basic scart connection.

Chris

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Could go S-video over cat5 using baluns, Costs alot more but will look a lot better....

8. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just moved and have the sky+ fitter coming soon to upgrade my new place from sky to +. I was hoping to set up as follows:

Inputs
    Dish to sky+
    Arial to sky+

Outputs
    Sky+ to Main LCD (32") via RGB Scart
    Sky+ to Bedroom CRT (14") via coax from RF2.

I am assuming that both tv's will then have access to sky+ and terrestrial. Is this correct?

How is the bedroom tv tuned in? When tuning will I just find the 5 terrestrials and an additional signal from the sky+ box.

Many thanks,
    Rich

9. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    RichA,

Basically - Yes.

Although you would need to have a uhf feed from the sky + box to your main lcd tv to allow it to tune into the standard off air channels.

You could use the sky box to select them but that would limit you a little.

10. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Try this thread "Two sky channels in everyroom" in this forum. it describes mmy sky+ and mutiroomm but should answer most of your questions

11. butchershook

butchershook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will definately work. I recently installed a "Global Loftbox" system in my house and it works perfectly with no detectable RF interference patterning. For satellite TV in every room with remote control you will also need their multi wall plate (MSWP) and as many TV link devices as you have TVs for satbox remote control extension. See their web site for a wiring schematic (www.tvlink.co.uk/loftbox.htm) and all will be clear. If you only have one freeview box you may need separate wireless remote control extenders, however, since the full UHF spectrum is delivered to each outlet, and freeview boxes are just as cheap, it may be easier to use a separate one for each legacy TV. In the NW of England (Winter Hill transmitter) I used UHF channel 38 to pipe the satellite TV round the house then tuned a spare channel on each TV to channel 38.

12. EdRooney

EdRooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I too live in the Winter Hill Area and have gone through the process of checking what frequencies are used and choosing 2 frequencies away from that channel etc etc to select a suitable frequency.

I AM using an SLX distribution unit whereby the RF2 from the SKY digibox goes back up to the loft... slight variation to the loftbox setup I know...

I am seeing a large drop in picture quality from the main TV (connected directly to SKY+ box) as well as very noticeable interference patterning (TVI) on my second TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

13. spb1967

spb1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i've just installed a triax ddu and it seems to do a great job:thumbsup:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/loftbox4.htm

hope this helps

14. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Yes - don't use Philex products! ;)
    Triax or Global are likely to be more reliable and better quality, judging from various reports.