Distributing Sky - Am I being silly?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Igwiz, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can someone tell me why this would be a silly idea?

I have a distribution box in the loft that sends analogue signals around the house. I also have a skybox in the lounge.

Could I relocate the sky box into the loft, use the RF2 out, pump this into the distributor input and thus have sky throughout the house (with magic eyes everywhere!)?
    And would the same be applicable if that box was a sky+ box?

Seems to simple to be true....

Many thanks,
    Ig

2. -DT-

-DT-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Err I think it would work except you'd all be stuck watching the same channel?

I guess then you can make sure Junior isn't watching 10 minute free views on those mucky channels late at night :suicide:

3. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably more like the other way round! :devil:

So effectively, there is no difference between putting the sky box before or after the distribution box if I want to take advantage of the RF2 two signalling...?

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    You need to ensure your distribution amp allows the use of magic eyes.
    Some of them don't due to the voltages involved.

FYI, I have had 3 properties where the Sky box was located in the lounge, the RF2 output was fed into the loft and an 8 way distribution amp and then a separate feed was sent to each room.
    It worked fine but bear in mind the quality isn't going to be great.

5. SadR0bot

SadR0bot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems as good a place as any to ask a question on similar lines.

Ive two aerial points in my house, a bedroom and living room where the sky box is. Is it possible for me to feed the output from the sky box back into the wall socket and be able to watch the sky picture in the bedroom? If so, are there any wall plates that do this sort of thing I can buy?

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I assume you're not using the aerial point in your lounge for feeding into your sky box or TV as obviously you can't re-use the same bit of coax for both jobs.

The other problem you've got is the lounge and bedroom feeds will originate at the antenna in the loft or on the roof.
    So if you feed the RF2 output from the sky box into the lounge RF point, all you will do is send the signal to the antenna.

To get a feed from the lounge to the bedroom you will need to join the lounge and bedroom coax together.
    This won't be too difficult if the antenna is in the loft and you can disconnect each cable from the antenna and join them together.

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Yes. You would watch too much TV as a consequence. :)

My set up is

Sky Dish feeds Sky box in lounge
    Aerial on roof connects directly to the RF input on Sky Box.
    RF output (now combining channels from aerial and Sky) from Sky Box goes back up to loft into distribution box.
    Distribution box feeds all rooms.

I have been using wireless infrared extenders rather than "magic eye" to change channels from other room, but plan on using something like this instead SLX Gold Tv Aerial - Amplifier The user guides you will find here will show you what you need.

I also have Sky boxes in 2 other rooms, but don't have a mirror sub, hence the RF distribution is useful even if not ideal quality wise.

8. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just moved into my new house I have to say I am baffled with how the previous owner had it set up. It looks like the TV aerial has been plugged into the UHF input on the distribution box and hence doesn't output anything! Sky is fed into the skybox and then back up to the loft and pluged into the RF input and nicely distributed throughout the house - but without any terrestrial signal! All very odd.

I think what i will do is connect what is currently going into the UHF input (although god knows where the UHF cable actually is given there is a UHF aerial on the roof!) to the lead that is currently coming out of the distribution box to the lounge. Then plug this into the RF input on the skybox. The RF2 output then should have combined the signals which can pass around the house. I can then use the sky RF1 to connect to the TV.

I am just perplexed on how the previous owner had it set up!

I am trying to understand it so that when I get Sky+ installed, they don't try and con me by saying it isn't a standard installation!

9. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    What you may have is a loftbox type system.

The aerial input on the amp is combined with other inputs on the amp e.g. dab / fm / sky / cctv. This is all fed down one cable to the living room. At the living room there will be a diplexed / triplexed wall plate with individual outputs for sky / tv / fm etc.

The aerial output from this wall plate needs to go to the aerial input on the sky box. The rf2 output pn the sky box is then fed back to the amp.

In these systems if the aerial input is not connected to the sky box then you will only have the sky channel being distributed via the amp and not terrestrial channels.

Check if you got the wall plate in the living room that has the aerial feed coming from the amp.

If you dont then look on your amp for a output normally called living room. Connect a cable to this output and loop it directly into the input the rf2 output is connected to (use a y splitter).

Alternatively you can do as planned and connect the aerial direct to the sky box.

Nickp.

10. IanWilky

IanWilky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  11. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The previous owner sounds like he had it setup correctly. Perhaps there is a break in the UHF aerial coax or something wrong with the UHF aerial? If you have moved then your new house's UHF aerial may be pointing at a different transmitter, this means all your TV's will have to be retuned.

12. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have managed to ascertain that the amp in the loft is a labgear MSA282. The sky aerial definitely does not go to the amp before it goes to the sky box. What I guess is confusing me is that the MSA282 is "dual input" and the inputs are marked FM and UHF. But it look like the Sky RF2 output is going into the FM input. Surely that won't work! I assume I cannot put TV signals through the FM output so will a combiner into the UHF input with the aerial and sky RF2 cables suffice? If so I am off to Maplins!

Ta very much.

13. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just updated my previous post to make more sense and change some of the detail that was wrong. Any opinions appreciated.... Ta