Distributing Live TV over an IP network

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NaTT, May 18, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Surely this is the killer app we're waiting for at the moment...? HCPC digitising (or just processing in the case of the Nebular) live TV and PC clients on a home network being able to watch these.
    No more wireless video senders (but possibly hello more CAT5 given the poblems with stutter when I've streamed Divx over 802.11g)

But I'm having probs seeing how to do it.
    I've got a Leadtek Winfast capture card, for experimentation and have the sweetspot at the top of my list for when I can network TV. But the sweetspot web site is a bit vague and it looks like the sound has to be captured seperatley. But how?

Any ideas anyone?

I've looked at SageTV. SageRecorder and SageClient sound like they do just this but don't support the Sweetspot or Leadtek cards.
    I've also tried http://www.videolan.org/ but it also won't work with my current capture card.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    The Nebula card already supports this, and it even works over a wireless network too. It's cool!

But I can't help with your winfast issue, though. Sorry.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you just want to network terrestrial TV, you can't beat the Nebula card. Can't wait for it to support more than one card, hate not being able to watch one multiplex when recording another!

Also another point, if your 11g network is having hiccups streaming a Divx movie, something is definately wrong with your setup somewhere, given that most streams are about 0.5 - 4mbps

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    some good news then.
    I have to admit that the streamed divx was to an Xbox running xbox media center and so the hiccups may have been due to the software there....

How does a client access the Nebular stream by the way?

But I'm still searching because I can't have satelite, so a satelite PC card won't help, and the Nebular only does free to air, and a lot of my viewing is of Sky1 and MTV etc.
    So are there any analogue capture cards / apps that support network distribution? cheers

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    You just download and install the Nebula software on the client, and then configure it as a client, and it takes care of the rest.

6. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks Mike.
    I'm getting more and more tempted out of my reluctance to go Nebular (because of there being no premium channels).
    The last barrier is getting a decent indoor attena, I tried an onDigital box and a DAB tuner and had to send them back, even though my area is well covered. I can't get a new exterior arial for my flat, so coould anyone suggest a good arial/signal booster for digital TV that can be used indoors?