• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Distributing HD inputs from receiver to other rooms

Rob_Meister

Established Member
Hi all,

I have read numerous other posts on distributing Sky HD to other rooms (as not short on them that is for sure).

I found that most of the posts I've read are most interested in splitting the Sky box only and suggested connecting to the splitter before going in to the amp.

However, I would prefer to connect the splitter to the output of the AV receiver in order to use PS3, Xbox and Sky in either the bedroom or dining room depending which is switched on in the lounge. Therefore, eliminating the need for a splitter with multiple inputs.

Is this achievable with something as simple as this, or am I going to need something more expensive?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Where you choose to Split/Switch the Sources is usually governed by how you want to use the system – only one Source available at any time in all Zones or multiple Sources available simultaneously to all Zones.

HDMI audio is another factor – assuming you connect the PS3 and Xbox360 to the AVR via HDMI only you are likely to have those devices delivering video + 5.1 audio via HDMI to the AVR; which in turn requires that all devices connected to the Output of the AVR (via a Distribution Amp) handle video + 5.1 via HDMI or you will have to manually toggle the PS3 and Xbox360 between 2.0 and 5.1 if the Display devices in the secondary Zones only cater for 2.0.

Unless your AVR has HDMI Standby Passthru you may find you have to have the AVR powered On to view the selected Source in the secondary Zones.

Joe

Rob_Meister

Established Member
Joe, many thanks for a very useful response. I'm not sure what I will do regarding the sound issue, but as you guessed both other rooms will not have 5.1 available and it seems rather unlikely that the other TVs will handle 5.1.

I had already identified the AVR would need to be powered on when using it in other rooms, but that wasn't a problem.

Just to weigh up the options, how else could I go about distributing Xbox, PS3 and Sky HD to two other rooms. Could I get a distribution amp with 3 outputs and send them to other rooms and AVR?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
All three of your Sources will deliver Video + 2.0 LPCM via HDMI and Simultaneously deliver DD/DTS via direct Optical connections to your AVR.

If you use a multiple Input Switch/Distribution Amp you can select the required Source and Output that to your multiple Sink devices (Inc. the AVR).

With the AVR n the ‘Distributed’ HDMI signal path you still have the option of ‘toggling’ the HDMI audio on the PS3 and Xbox to one of the HD Codecs when your only viewing/listening on the Primary Display (via the AVR).

Your still going to be limited to one Source to all Sink devices – you would need to consider an HDMI Matrix if you require the ability to view multiple Sources simultaneously.

3x4 HDMI Switch Splitter Distribution Amp. Switch 3 HDMI video audio streams to 4 HD displays. Full 1080P resolution.

Joe

PS How long are the cable runs to each of the rooms?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom