1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed video and video serving

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Operandi, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, however, here goes....

Our house is being totally re-wired, with the work starting today, and as part of this I am planning on installing Cat5 (or Cat6) network cabling to each of the bedrooms and the downstairs study and, possibly the lounge.

It's just occurred to me that I may have an opportunity to distribute video (TV, Sat, DVD, even music) via the network. Is this possible and if so what extra components would I need, both at the server and clients?

I have a room allocated as a dedicated HC which contains a great cupboard which could be used as a comms/technology cabinet. This could be used as the hub for the network and video serving but could this also deliver video and audio to the PJ and HC processor at the same time?

Would the clients be able to switch channels/sources remotely?

Do the clients have to be PC based or are there CAT5/analogue interfaces that can connect to conventional TV's?

Is this the best way to distribute video or should I use conventional coax in parallel to the data network?

Sorry about all the questions, but your help is really appreciated as the electrician will be arriving any minute!

Thanks

2. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    At the high end both Extron and Crestron have products that allow for the distribution of audio and video over cat5 cable.

3. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Or you could get Keith Doxeys well respected KAT 5 TV - well known throughout home automation land :D

Kat 5TV

£40 for a transmitter and £35 for a receiver.

Cheers

Kevin.

4. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys for the speedy advise.

That Kat5 stuff looks great and exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm still pondering on how to remotely switch channels on the AV source.....

Thanks

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Channel Plus and extron do similar gear. and bettter prices than AMX cRestron. are you intereted in multiroom audio or just viseo?
    Easiest way to run cortol ie Sky/cable is to run RF as well as other cables see Channels Plus 5558 system etc has control for 4 sources remotely

6. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you want to go the DIY route (i.e. Cheap :D )

There are lots of IR extenders, from the (rather crap, IMO) Powermid transmitter/receivers to the much more reliable hardwired Xantech stuff.

Have a look Here for more details

IIRC, the Xantech harwire stuff can be run over Cat5 as well.

Cheers

Kevin.

7. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audio would be nice too :)

The ChannelPlus products look good too, but their web site states that they should be professionally installed. Is this the case? I am network qualified (MCSE, CNE, CCA etc) so I should be able to cope with the network topolgies and interfaces - where does the complexity come in?

I'm still trying to get my head around switching sources. For example, I can create a patch panel connecting sources via Kat5 senders, but how would a user in the bedroom switch from Sat to DVD - these sources are not allocated IP type addresses presumably.

I wish I'd thought about this sooner as I'm now worried that I might miss a great opportunity through poor planning and product knowledge.

8. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This is something I've been thinking about for when we move house :devil:

A lot depends on how much you want to spend, and what you want to acheive.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a DVD feed, you can pick up a half decent player for less than £50 now.

As time is a issue for you, I would suggest running the cables and worrying about what to use them for later. You can always leave them behind plaster or in an empty pattress.

I'd run twice as many Cat 5 runs as you think you'll need :D , some speaker cable and a couple of lengths of CT100 coax.

Any one else want to add to this poor mans cabling list :clap:

9. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be poor after all this!

However the electrician is charging me trade prices for the bits and pieces and I'm only paying for his time, so this is a wonderful opportunity!

I agree with you about the DVD feed. I suppose I want to distribute TV via the Cat5 so that I'm not running coax to each room from a multi channel video amp in the loft.

I like the idea of hooking up some CCTV cams which can be monitored and switched via the network.

Audio is a nice to have.

Can video transmission co-exist with data (Ethernet packets) over the network, or do I need to run two Cat5 networks - one for the video and one for data?

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I wouldn't have thought so.

Run as many Cat5 cables as you can fit, space and money wise. They'll definately get used.

I've got 4 running to my back room at the moment and they're all going be taken when I put a new phone in.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No should be able to do it all your self for Auido look at QED Tevra do there proucts and they have a new audio system called modular due latter this year all over cat 5 ver simple to do and really cheap to wire for a 300m of cat 5 is £40 ish!!!!
    As for video channels plus will give you composite and IR control back to the source as well as Territrial distribution I have been looking for a a remote S-Switcher for some time and have only found manual ones.great for multiple displays in pubs etc but not for home use. It is a releively easy process to automate the swtiching but no one has done it!Retro this could be your final year project!!!

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Oh to still be at uni. Down the pub every night getting lashed... :rotfl:

Sadly not anymore, well kinda sadly anyway...

... I can now actaully afford to go to the pub. :D

Working full time now at this fine distributor of integrated goodness.

www.marata.co.uk

You gonna be down Event 2, Mr Dragon?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Retro mate what happened??? No unfortumatley not too far away for me and busy that weekend!
    CCTV cams can be easily added in to the Channel+ systems you can run audio systems and video seperatley, it would be Very expensive to do this AMX/Crestron system. But systemlnie Modular is single audio source to 6 zones Musiq is 2 source 2 zone and S4.4 is 4 source 4zone, however there is a planned upgrade for Modular that will use the existing wiring but will be 6 source 8zone!!!!! If you want info on wiring for this system LMK

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Lost interest at the end of the year, and spent my time job hunting and going to CEDIA instead.

It worked mind, cos I had a great week at CEDIA (cost me next to nothing :D ) and I got a job! :clap:

So here I am.:smashin:

15. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After yet more research, I'm now thinking of running Cat6 cable to give better future proof protection.

Is cabling Cat6 pretty much the same as cabling Cat5 and will the Cat5 products mentioned above be compatible?

I'm thinking of running two runs of Cat6 to each room - one for data and the other for video - would this be OK?

Thanks for all the help so far

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its the twisted pair geometry that means cat5 can be used for much more than just ethernet. cat 6 and cat5e are just rated for higher speeds.

17. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i would run more runs if i were you. Telephony, data, video and Audio. all it would cost is the cable really.

18. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice thanks. I'll see if its possible to run four cables into each room. Cat6 cable only costs about £60 ish +VAT for 305m so the cost isn't prohibitive.

19. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just found IpHomeNet via LetsAutomate - has anybody tried their products?

20. Mike Dickeson

Mike Dickeson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Install as many cables UTP as you can to as many positions as possible. Dont forget the garage (remote diagnostics & tv), The kitchen lot & lots here for the internet microwave, bar coder fridge and all the other network appliances.
    Cat 5e is fine for Data, Telephones and tv (www.iphomenet) and each socket can be used for any service. Regards Mike