1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

distributed audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by patwestlake, Apr 5, 2003.

1. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, so this is a ajor project with many different ways of doing it...

The aim is to be able to play any mp3 track from a central source in any room (of 6)

My optimum way would be as follows;

wall plate & remote access in each room selects track -LCD display helps with finding which album/track you want

mp3 stored on server is played via channel in multi channel amplifier through dedicated room speaker sets

ability to forward music to next room on command

The hardware of choice (ease of use) would be PC for mp3 storage, X-box for each room to do the playing and local instruction (this would then lead easily to a distributed video system)

I'm struggling for the human interface systems though... any ideas or overall alternatives?

Pat

2. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have thought that something like a slimp3 would do what you want (if you can wall mount it). I believe you can play the same thing to all rooms or different things to each. The remote talks to the server directly which I understand you can then reprogram to give you the functions you mention. Might take a bit of work but I'm sure it's possible.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
  4. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers guys. I'm currently looking at wireless links for this kit. That would make it portable between houses as well. The SliMP3 looks good enough not to have to wall mount, so that looks the way to go. Not sure how many rooms I'll get done at £200 a throw however.... and thats before WAP and speakers. However, prices are falling, so maybe I'll just wait a little longer.

Cheers, Pat

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    or you could use the imerge server, thats come down loads in price now.