Distribute sky q via hdmi

Ajj18

Novice Member
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations for a system to distribute my sky q box around the house.

There's only me so I don't need the mini boxes, I'd just like to watch the same thing in different rooms and don't have the UHD so not overly worried about high definition. I have 2 cat6 connections to each TV and will be getting my main sky q box relocated to a central Comms cabinet. I was thinking of getting a hdmi to cat 6 distribution system but wondered if people had any recommendations of what to use or avoid. I also have a dual coax socket at each TV location too but believe that hdmi would be the better solution.

Ideally I would like to distribute to 5 different TV's bit could go to just 4 if costs start to get silly. Thinking of the future it would be good to have the ability to get another hdmi source distributed to and switch remotely from any location but I imagine that will start to get costly.

What systems are people using?

Thanks

AJ

logiciel

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I’d be interested to know why you’re so keen on TV, but it’s your own affair of course.:)

Ajj18

Novice Member
It's more about convenience. If I start watching something in my lounge then I want to cook and continue watching it then I can't at the moment. The same when I go to bed and want to continue watching something I was watching downstairs.

Also got to admit I do like a bit of technology

logiciel

OK, thanks, so do I.:D

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You have a couple of options.

HDBT - you can look at a HDBT Distribution amp with HDMI Input and RJ45 Output and HDBT Receiver unit at each TV. Five is an odd number for HDMI Distribution - most systems tend to be 4 or 8 Outputs, you may find a 6 zone solution.

HD over LAN - you have 1 x Transmitter, a Gigabit Network Switch and then add the required number of Zone Receivers. Our Octava HDLAN system supports HD and has an IR Return path.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Joe

winston2010

HDMI modulator into a coax distribution system. Then tune in each TV, as many as you like. Single input modulators around £100, Antiferiance do a dual input one for around double.

Ajj18

Novice Member
HDMI modulator into a coax distribution system. Then tune in each TV, as many as you like. Single input modulators around £100, Antiferiance do a dual input one for around double.
Thanks for this Winston. Any recommendations on how to use the remote control? I assume some sort of IR blaster might work but any recommendations on solutions that people are using would be great.

splinternet

Novice Member
This one appears to have that facility.

Amazon product
@winston2010 I'm interested in this Technomate as a potential replacement for my Edision Modulator for one which has less than a 1-1.5 second delay for each button press of the Sky controller. I note that the product description mentions a "magic eye" for remotely controlling the Sky box; will this need cables laying or does it operate wirelessly?

I'm about to get Sky Q. I'm assuming (or at least hoping) the HDMI output (HD) from a Q minibox can be distributed in the same way as the output from my current HD+ box (i.e. Edision, coax, powered splitter)? Otherwise I'll be looking at £50 a pop for two or three additional miniboxes round the house.

If I wanted to distribute the output from the Q box itself, would the Edision*/coax setup handle UHD? (* or the Technomate)

andy_48

If I wanted to distribute the output from the Q box itself, would the Edision*/coax setup handle UHD? (* or the Technomate)
I've not yet transitioned to Sky Q but I do distribute digital HD RF signals (from 2x Sky HD boxes and a streaming PC) to all my Freeview HD TVs around the house. One problem I encountered is the consumer modulators (mine are Triax) do not transmit Dolby audio. Therefore you either have to watch everything in stereo or keep switching the Sky box digital audio settings if you want surround sound locally (but no audio distribution). The solution I found (someone else's genius on this forum) involves distributing stereo via optical Toslink and Dolby locally via HDMI.

However, there's a snag! The converter boxes are hard to find in the UK. I've used Monoprice 105369 DVI & S/PDIF to HDMI Converters that I sourced from USA.

None of this eliminates the 1 second lag over HD RF when using the remote that you mentioned but I've learnt to live with that.

One final caveat: it's some years since I set up my system! My knowledge is amateur at best and probably hopelessly out of date. There may be more recent and/or better solutions out there but mine works for me.

Attachments

• Satellite Distribution.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 6

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom