1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distortion Sony KV36FS70

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Andyman, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Andyman

Andyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My KV36FS70 suffers a picture distortion on the left side of the screen. This is most noticeable in the top left corner where the black border of the screen thickens, although the same distortion is noticeable at the bottom left or along the bottom of the screen where when distinct horizontal lines are displayed on the screen.

Can anyone advise on how to rectify this problem? Or how I can confirm the severity of the problem (perhaps using a test signal or DVD?)? Any help would be greatly recieved.

Andrew

2. Luke Emmott

Luke Emmott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean the picture is not 100 percent straight? If so you will struggle to find a wide screen set that is. Most manufactures allow a certain amount sloping etc, i.e. with Philips sets you can rotate the picture in mthe menu settings to adjust any movement that may have happened in transit.
    The only way to have it adjusted properly is to put it on a cross hatch and go into the service menu and adjust the geometry. This is not something you could do personaly though.

Luke

3. Andyman

Andyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this advice. I'm amazed that manufacturers expect consumers to accept what is obviously a defect, especially having paid for a range topping model from, what IMO, is the most prestigious and reputable mainstream electronics manufacturer.

Since making my original posting I have found articles on the internet on adjusting the picture on Sony TVs using the service menu. Bit worried though as most only advise entering the service menu with great caution as apparently you can do a lot more harm than good.

Does anyone know where a DVD containing a test grid signal can be obtained or whether it is possible to download a mpr/avi file containing this info and copy it to a VCD?

The picture (mis)alignment is driving me crazy!

4. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that to pay all that money and then find your TV can't display a straight line is madness and a scam it never gets mentioned BEFORE you buy a set, but every single set I have tried is the same. Sony seem to be the worst - the edges of a picture looking like a wobbly jelly in 4:3 mode. How manufacturers get away with this when we all want to use PS2, digital text, menus etc is beyond me.

It does not seem to matter how much (or little) you spend. I have tried every set in Currys and Comet and local independents and they are all as bad. Sadly, most retailers simply don't know there is a problem - one told me that only digital signals are straight - he didn't seem to grasp the fact that the distortion is in the tube so everything will be wonky!

I returned two sets for bad geometry - engineer could not make any better. We now have to accept that all sets are like it or do without. Its not as though one model of set is better than another, it varies from individual unit to another.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    THX optimiser can be found on many dvd's.You may have one already.
    A word of caution. Write all the settings down that way if it goes belly up you can get the set to the state it's in at the present time.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sounds like a wager to me.
    Why do you state this ?

7. Andyman

Andyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for letting me know about the poor manufacturing tolerances that electronics manufacturers allow to pass out of their factories. I'm debating whether to make a warranty claim for the geometry misalignment. Has anyone tried? What are my chances of success? Or should I just take a deep breath and start to delve in the service menu?

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    There is every likelyhood that you will be told the set is within spec or a feild service guy makes it worse.Personally i'd have a go myself but as advised above **Write all the settings down for the geometry first**.

9. Luke Emmott

Luke Emmott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to do it is on a cross hatch, you could risk making it worse if you do it yourself.
    Yes, chances are you will be told it's in spec, one test to do is get a large rubber band and put it round your set, measure how much it's out by and get onto the supplier. Ask them what the tolerances' are and if yours is over get someone out to look at it.

Luke