1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distortion - Sony amp and BW602S2's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Orbitalzone, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Anyone here using a Sony TAFB940R amp (just a stereo amp) with some B&W 602S2's?

I'm sometimes listening and sure it sounds everso very slightly distorted.. more like too much signal being preamplified ...this happens at low or high volume levels....

It's not terribly annoying and no one else notices! But I'm sure it's a slight fault... or am I imagining things!!?!

It seems to be on any source, I use a Sony MD player JB940, Sony 336 DVD and Sony XE220 CD player. The results are much the same. All connected with fair quality audio leads and some 79 strand speaker flex. All connects are good.

I'm fairly sure it's not the speakers, they've never been run hard. So I'm assuming it's the amplifier... preamping the inputs too much perhaps?

Anyone got any ideas or comments on this amp / speakers?

Thanks!

Orbitalzone

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Thats sounds like one hell of a bright system to me. Cheap Sony stuff usually is on the bright side, as are B&W speakers - result = grainy, harsh treble.

3. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well £300 for a stereo amp and about the same for the speakers isn't too cheap... I know it might be bottom of the range compared to a lot of equipment you guys here use but I would think my amp should be half decent.. still I suppose it's all a matter of opinion!

:smoke:

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The sound might be a bit on the bright side as suggested, but i doubt it would be described as distortion........ i suggest that the cd player is the most liely culprit....... certinaly i would have described certain sounds that are player dependent that way.

ad

5. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Rotel RSP976 pre/pro had to go back for repair because it was distorting towards the higher end of the treble range - regardless of source/input/volume it was really, really noticeable with a Norah Jones track - put my teeth on edge (her music prolly does that to lots of people though.. :p)

No problems since.. :smashin: