1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distortion on 3802 left channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by john-boro, Jan 14, 2003.

1. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a denon 3802, connected to 656a using coax, and two castle 900s. On the front left channel, there seems to be a very slight distortion on certain tracks, "brown sugar" on forty licks and "tsunami" on forever delayed are the ones I notice it on. Both contain distorted guitars, and the problem occurs where the sound is quite "thick". I have swapped speakers, cables, tried the disks in another system, and it is always on the left front channel.
    Thanks in advance
    john

2. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help? :( It's really bugging me, and is virtually constant from the first chorus of "tsunami" onwards.

3. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried listening through headphones to eliminate your speakers?

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    The Manics discs are very poorly recorded and mixed IMHO.

Have you tried the discs on other systems with the same problem.

EDIT: Just had a blast of "Tsunami" on my 3801 and no probs to report, It was excellent when they did that song live at the Areana at Newcastle, bet you can't guess what they changed the chorus to?:rolleyes:

EDIT: System i used. 3801,pioneer 444, M&K 750thx and CHT15

5. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right cheers I'll have a go with a pair of headphones. Tried the manics CD on one of those stereo/cassette/cd players and I did notice the same kind of problem. I'm not sure if it's just me, but when anything is playing around that certain frequency, it seem a bit "thin". Probably psychosomatic :D
    i'll tell you what happens
    john

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Another thing you could try is to connect the DVD to the amp using the analog phono connections. See if the same effect is present, then reverse the phono connections so that the left channel signal is routed to the amp's right input, and vice versa.

If the distortion moves to the right, then the likely culprit is either the disc itself, or the DVD player (unlikely). If it doesn't move, then (given that you've already swapped the speakers) you can begin to suspect the Denon's left amplifier.

7. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good idea nigel :). With headphones, the problem was still there on the left channel. I will now try what nigel suggested.
    keep you posted :)
    john

8. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right sorted. It's not the DVD player, because other CDs are fine. It's not the amp, because the distortion changes as I swap the RCA plugs around. So narrowed it down to a crap recording :).
    Have just been listening to beethoven's moonlight sonata. I love this new system :D
    cheers everyone
    john