Distortion in surrounds

H72

Novice Member
Hi,

New member here.

Having a minor issue that I have tried to Google but no luck, wondering if anyone here has any ideas.

Have just upgraded most of my modest 5.1 setup in the living room. I have a Marantz NR1609, with Q Acoustics 3010is/3090Ci at the front. Due to limited space for the surrounds I bought 2 Cambridge Audio Minx Min12s.

Generally all is well but last night I was watching The Sopranos on Sky and the Receiver was using Dolby Surround to upmix the stereo source. At certain points I noticed distortion from the surrounds when people were shouting etc.

Speakers are set to small with a crossover of 150Hz.

Strangely the issue went away when i switched to Multi Channel Stereo and replayed the same scene.

I have also never had an issues with 5.1 encoded content either.

Any ideas, could it be an issue with the upmixing?

D

Deleted member 39241

The crossover is a slope, rather than a dead stop, so maybe try increasing it to 200hz, as the speakers may still be being sent some audio below 150hz that is causing them to distort.

H72

Novice Member
Thanks for your response. I actually tried that last night and got the same result unfortunately.

Its a strange one...

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks for your response. I actually tried that last night and got the same result unfortunately.

Its a strange one...
You could try a different upmixer? Presumably DTS Neural X is an option. Does the distortion happen even at a low volume?

H72

Novice Member
Exactly the same with Neural X, happens even at low volumes on exactly the same bit of soundtrack.

Switch to Multi Channel stereo, whack up the volume and the same section on the same speakers sounds fine.

I'm no expert on upmixing, is it possible that the process itself could be corrupting the audio?

Anyway, its not a huge deal, only happens occasionally, just wondered if anyone else had come across similar.

D

Deleted member 39241

It is odd. I do notice that when upmixing a stereo soundtrack to multi channel, on some AVR's there has been a strange sound from the rears, it wasn't distortion though, sounded more like a gurgly sound, and could only be heard if I put my ear right up to the speaker, not from the main listening position.

If it is that, which you are hearing, maybe your surrounds are too close to the MLP?

H72

Novice Member
Very possibly. Due to the small size of the room, the listening positions are right next to the surrounds.

Appreciate all your responses!

D1gita1

Mixing stereo into surround often results in what sounds like digital garble coming from surrounds, especially on normal TV content. It's been that way since day one and I try avoid using it because of that.

Dean

I would say it's more to do with the poor bandwidth/quality on some cable channels. I even notice it on freeview on some channels, so it's not really a fault with the upmixing. The reason it goes away with multi stereo is each channel is duplicated to each speaker and there isn't as much processing being applied. For upmixing to work well it needs a decent source.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom