Question Distortion from Yamaha A-S500 when at low power

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by ahhhhhh, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ahhhhhh

ahhhhhh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just pulled out my old AS500 from storage and noticed it gives quite a strong distortion effect across both speakers when it's on low volume. The distortion disappears when i increase the amount of amplification though(decrease the source volume and increase the amp power).
    I don't think this is a speaker issue (2x monitor BX2's) as i've checked their impedance and they have no distortion when i just increase the amplification with the same volume.

I'm playing the music through the phono input and was wondering it might be from the phono pre amp, although should that happen over both outputs?? Also if it is this what's the best way to fix it?
    thanks!

2. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm confused when you state that you adjust the volume of the source connected via the phono input at source , what exactly is the source device?
    The only equipment that should be connected to the phono input is a turntable that doesn't have a built in RIAA stage.
    Amps and electronics in general don't like not being used for long periods and faults that weren't there when they were put away tend to appear when put back into service.
    Normally power supply or output capacitors going bad in the case of amps.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. ahhhhhh

ahhhhhh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A macbook pro (2015). Although it also happens with my samsung s6, when playing any music through spotify or locally.

4. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thats the problem then , as i said in my initial post the phono input is designed for use with turntables only which have a very low output and need boosting by a preamp stage .
    You should connect the macbook/phone to a line level input only , cheap cables combined with headphone outputs are often responsible for a lot of the distortions and noise , you could improve the sound by using a decent DAC between your laptop/phone and amp .

5. ahhhhhh

ahhhhhh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah fantastic, that's it, i changed the input method to cd and it's got a lower volume now but doesn't have the distortion. Thanks for your help! I think i'll see how this goes but will get an external DAC if i have more problems.