Distorted sound output from cd

jpm123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm getting distorted sound output from one channel of my Denon cd receiver only when the CD is playing. All is ok when tuner is playing. Any ideas / fixes please.

Thx.

Define Distorted?

Noisy as in buzz, hum, drone, static, and similar?

A grating non-specific distortion implying that something is being over-driven?

Give is the exact Brand and Model of the unit in question?

Though I can't say, I would guess an electronic problem rather than mechanical problem. That is the drive transport mechanism and laser are probably OK, though again, I can't hear what is happening. So, likely a problem in one of the amplifier stages or coupling stages.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi thx for your reply. Model is Denon RCD-M35DAB. I can hear the audio but is 'scratchy' / I have added an audio file.

Attachments

• recording-20150913-105613.mp3
    351.8 KB · Views: 109
Curious, what does the Headphone Out sound like?

That's a difficult problem. I'm torn between a connection problem and a bad speaker.

This would be so much easier if these were separate component. You could then switch cables around and determine if it was the CD or the Amp.

About all I can suggest is, swap the speaker wires. If the sound follows the wire, then the problem is the amp. If the sound says on the same speaker, then the problem is the speaker.

Steve/bluewizard

Headphone output is fine. I did a speaker swap a while back but I can't remember the outcome. I seem to recall that the same channel was distorted ... I'll check again.

Thx.

On the speaker swap, if it is always the same physical speaker that is the problem, then indeed that speaker is a problem.

However, if the problem moves with the amp channel, or in this case, CD Channel, that is a sign that the CD is the problem.

Steve/bluewizard

It can't be a speaker or cable problem if the inbuilt tuner doesn't exhibit the same symptom.

It may not be using the circuity path which is causing the issue.

Just in case no-one has mentioned this.

1. try a different cable from the CD to the Amp
2. Swap the speakers/cable around to see if the problem moves.
3. Make sure the interconnects are securely connected and that they do not feel loose.
4. If you have an optical option, then try this to see if the problem stays.
5. try a factory re-set on both electronics.

Once you have exhausted these areas then you should be able to identify which is causing the problem.

Regards, Shane.

I feel the question needs to be is it worth repairing then. How much did it cost. If its the mech that will be a costly component and that's without adding the time of the engineer. It maybe better to find a second hand head unit and replacing it than getting the repair carried out!

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom