1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distorted picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Pulsar, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello.

I purchased a VGA board for my PW6 off this forum about 2 months ago. It looked brand new when I got it and it installed fine. I did a quick test with it to make sure it worked, and it seemed fine at the time. However, I have recently started to use this 2nd VGA input as I now have a DVD player running component through the standard VGA input, and a digital TV box going RGB to VGA (JS box v.2) into the new input board. Now that I have watched a picture on the new input for a decent amount of time, I have noticed a strange problem. The best way to describe it is that the picture looks like you are looking through curved glass. The image is compressed horizontaly in the centre of the screen and stretched at the edges. :confused:

I have tried running the DVD player through the new VGA inpiut, but the problem was still there, so I am quite sure the problem exists with either the new input board or the plasma itself (on that input).

What course of action do you guys think I should take, considering I brought this second hand (even though it looked new). Should I take the matter up with Panasonic? BTW the plasma is only 6 months old, and still under warranty.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

P.S The input board I have is the dual slot one with VGA passthrough.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    sounds like the aspect ratio may need changing..have you tried playing around with the various settings both on the digital box and screen?

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi.

The digital box doesn't have many settings, only 4:3 and 16:9. 16:9 has always worked perfect, and looks perfect on the standard VGA input. I don't think there any settings for aspect ratio on the plasma, but I have used the picture size/position functions to get the image fitting well.

Anyone else got any ideas? I was hoping that someone may have experienced a similar problem and can tell me what was at fault.

Cheers

Rob

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    thought it would be like pw7 which has aspect ratio in the remote (just, 16:9, 4:3, etc)

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Have never seen them, but maybe I haven't looked. I shall check.

Rob

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The problem you are describing sounds like the effect you get with the "Panasonic Auto mode" .This is one of the settings in the aspect ratios along with 16:9 wide and 4:3. Check to see what setting you actually have the pananl set on . With automode it will stretch a non anamorphic non wide screen picture to fit the screen and make it look like a standard wide screen picture. Unfortunatly you get this effect with this mode.

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    David, Mep.

You were both correct. I didn't have the screen set to 16:9 for that input, it was set to a different mode that was doing the stretching. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Rob

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    thanks Rob, pleasure :)