1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distorted image on either side

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Neil Watson, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hello,
    I have just bought a 28PW6515 from Powerhouse and after two days, I have begun to notice a slight distortion on the screen.

It shows up best when the action on the screen pans slowly across it. At either end of the image the last inch or so is slightly compressed so that you get a fishbowl type of effect as the image moves off the screen.

At first I thought it was the Zoom 16:9 mode as I have NTL digital and therefore allow the tv to swap to widesceen mode when they broadcast in widescreen but otherwise chop the top and bottom off the picture when they broadcast in 4:3 mode as the TV swaps back to Zoom16:9 mode. By trying all the tv-modes it is noticeable on all of them but is hardest to see on the 4:3 setting as the distortion is 1/4 inch either side.

Is this considered normal i.e. is it worth getting an engineer out to have a look as I have only had the set two days? My old ferguson 21inch (4:3) set didn't exhibit this effect and I don't recollect the image being like this on my friends Samsung 28inch widescreen TV?

Any help or advice (including if its possible to alter myself) would be great

Regards
    Njay

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Njay

I didn't have this problem on the Philips 32PW6515 I had.

Have you got NTL set up for Widescreen? There are 3 picture settings available on NTL - 4:3 / Letterbox / Widescreen.

If that's set up right then you probably need an engineer.

OG

3. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Yes, I have got the NTL digi box set to 16:9 mode as that was one of the first things I did as it was set to 4:3 pan and scan for use with my other TV.

I am sure that the same effect occurs with the terrestrial channels but will confirm it just in case and post my findings back here.

I'll also see if the effect appears with a DVD and a video feed.

What I do know is that is not an RF vs Scart issue as viewing NTL digital on Channel 6 through the aerial lead has the same effect.

Have been reading through the threads on this site since my original post and saw that others have commented on ripples. I did notice yesterday that I can see this on my one. The reflection of my window on the glass does indeed ripple as I move my head from side to side although the TV image does not??? It is like the glass and the display are matched so that the image remains constant even though the glass potentially isn't!!! This isn't what is causing the side to be compress though as the ripples seem to be across the centre.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Njay - how you describe the Ripple is exactly what was happening on mine, it seems to be a manufacturing fault.

Sounds like you need to reject the tele and get another one.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    All CRT-based TVs (the vast majority) suffer, to a greater or lesser degree, to geometry errors. These may show as curved lines or edges (that should be straight), uneven scrolling of eg film titles, and uneven lateral movement.

They are notoriously difficult to correct, even with a Service Menu and hours of patience.

It's an unfortunate symtom of things being built down to a price rather than up to a standard. What makes it more frustrating is that most of the same manufacturers can produce a PC monitor, for a similar amount of money, with almost perfect geometry, and a wealth of user adjustments.

You can try another TV. Take a tape or DVD with some test signals on it into the shop and don't leave until you've found a set without problems. You need to look closely at vertical and horizontal straight lines, circles, and diagional straight lines.

Or, you could go the (more expensive) LCD or Plasma route. Neither of these technologies will suffer from Geometry problems (or, indeed convergence errors).

[ 26-06-2001: Message edited by: LV426 ]

6. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well, I have had a night in checking everything out and my findings are this:-

4:3 mode is hardly noticable as the distortion is 3mm all the way down the right hand side. What's more noticable is that the picture pulses in and out which I know all TV's do and is usually covered on true 4:3 by the casing and so no probs here.

16:9Zoom on a 4:3 image has a 1cm strip down the left hand side and a 2cm strip down the right hand side that is compressed which makes the picture look like it is bending back towards the back of the TV.

Widescreen: same as above.

Superwide: No as noticable but the image is not the correct ratio obviously (people squashed etc) as this size is clever stretching of the 4:3 image.

14:9zoom in between the others, i.e not so obvious as 16:9zoom/Widescreen but more so than 4:3 mode.

What is very frustrating is that I have several NTSC dvd's and on Fight Club is a THX suite of test programs. The Set is almost perfect with these as the image with equally spaced dots and lines has only the slightest of deviations. This just goes to show that its setup is wrong for PAL as its fine for NTSC

By the way the findings are the same regardless of input. i.e. Scart RGB, Scart Composite, RF all have the same deviations.

By the way I have been reading the service mode manual for philips TV's and it says that in order to access I have to enter the code and press the [i+] key on the remote. Which key is that as the 6515 doesn't have that key on its remote????

7. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these TV's and instantly spotted the fishbowl effect especially on the right hand side. Unfortunately I noticed this after I had bought the set. Did you ever get your problems sorted by an engineer and is it worth me getting one called out.

Also in 4:3 I have curvature at the sides is this a known problem or did you manage to right this aswell.

Please respond as the issues raised are driving me mad.

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    No, well sort of.
    I took it back and got it replaced but the same thing only no so bad. I could not be bothered to pack it all up again and hence got a engineer out via the powerhouse support line. He took one look it and admitted that although he could see what I was referring to and could take it away to test bench etc, he couldn't guarantee it would come back any better.

I suppose I have got used to it now but if you do get an engineer out get him to tell you what you need to change to rectify it. i.e. menu options etc.

What bugs me the most is that my mate has the 32inch version and it is absolutely straight on all modes albeit it is not as sharp picture wise (sharpness control tried and failed)

I suppose different tube = different problems although his I could live with

9. nickit

nickit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that it is not a design feature?

I have a philips widescreen (see list below) and it has a Superwide screen mode where it progressively distorts the outer edges of the screen to acheive a 16:9 picture from 4:3 signal. It trims the top and bottom and stretches the edge of the screen horizontally, thus fitting the screen but without distorting the main viewing area ie the middle. This feature doesn't seem to be listed in the newer models and my Dad has a similar model to yours and we wonder whether this "Superwide" technology is built into the normal modes?

What does the supplier say?

10. terryb

terryb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For what it is worth you either need an engineer or you need to get into the service menu and do some carefull tine tuning. You should aim at correcting the widescreen and checking how a 4:3 picture looks with black borders.

I don't know how to get into the service menu on your set and I am still waiting for details on the Bush WS6673 as I posted recently on this board. A trip to the local library provided me with a copy of the U-View Television service manual which gives a start.

I have twigged my Sony to satisfaction:

http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/how2adj.html &
    http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/

plus a Wharfedale 890

http://www.btinternet.com/~grf/wharfedale_890.htm

When Wharfedale / Tesco's did their fix last summer to these sets with their "fire" problem, the engineers left the customers house with the set up parameters all set the same. ie. they screwed everything up - each set has it's own personalised settings which are suppose to be adjusted via a test bed. This is when I decided to take the bull by the horns and do it myself. If it's just the geometry then the use of the onscreen graphics of digital boxes, the News24 4:3 black bands on reports footage, a ruler and a plumb line is sufficient. Well you might get a better looking screen than the one that you started with. If you save the parameters and don't screw-up anything else then you can always go back to the ones that you were first un-happy with.

I think the problem now a days is that as users we use graphics and displays via the interactive part of digital services and these show up the problems of poorly adjusted TVs. 16:9 wide screens push the TVs to the limits. Before this gets into a lamenation I will stop....

11. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well, its Engineer time again for the 2nd time in 6 months as my 6515c has just decided to go out of focus!!!!!

Basically, if you look at film credits or the on-screen channel info EXT1, SVHS2 etc they are all really blurred.

It makes no difference what the source is as its the same on DVD's, VHS, Cable. The fact that the On screen graphics are blurred it must be the TV.

I remember how much sharper the picture was compared to my Ferguson 21inch TV when I bought the 6515c. Now the Ferguson is the clearer picture!!!

BTW tried altering the sharpness setting but that made no difference. Quite literally the picture did not change at all across the whole 0-100 range.

Guess the focus has gone but that's a bit poor for a 6 month old TV.

Oh, and before I forget 1/2 an hour before hand it stop auto-changing the TV picture (WS <-> 4:3) on the EXT inputs

What's the odds of getting my money back???

Regards
    Neil

12. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't seem to be having much luck with the Phillips.
    I remember reading this thread since it was posted :) as I was interested in getting this TV at the time. Thank god for this forum is all I can say as your problems along with other peoples, has put me right off.
    I think you should be entitled to swap it for a different set at least but whether the supplier think that is another matter. Keep us up to date.
    At the end of the day all people want is a good picture, its not much to ask for is it.

13. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There have been countless problems with the 28PW6515 over the last nine months. I don't think they've ever been corrected by Philips.

1)The bendiness of the screen edges exhibited in 4:3 is way above tolerance level I think (certainly more exaagerated than on most widescreens).
    2)Fishbowl effects
    3)Problems with pixellation during changes between bright and dark images

I eventually gave up after returning three of them.

The PW326515 didn't seem to exhibit the same problems for what it's worth.

John

14. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well John has just confirmed what I thought as my mates 32pw6515c is perfect. Well as good as you can currently get a widescreen anyway;)

The engineer is coming on Monday Morning so I see what he says. In any case I'm going to see if he'll agree to authorise a replacement rather than repair (its not his loss as they are a 3rd party call Servicespeed) and then its back to the shop to choose another model me thinks.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards
    Neil.

15. wiiztec

wiiztec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my new Sylvania CR202SL8 4:3 tv my old Sony KV-13M42 never had any geometry problems or uneven scrolling would a tv repairman be able to fix it If I gave him both tv's to compare?

16. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    You're replying to a post made 7 years ago.

17. wiiztec

wiiztec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it's the most revealant topic I could find

And I didn't realize it was 7 years old until after I replied

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009