1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mal, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Mal

Mal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you have a room as big as you like, is there an optimal distance from the screen to the seating position or will it depend on the projector?
    any experiences you have had when setting up a new room on this subject would be apprciated.

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mal,

I think from previous discusions, the ideal distance from the screen is at least 1 and a half times the width. IE if you have a 7foot screen, you should really be around 10-12 foot at least. Of course it may not be possibe if you havent got the room. Remember the closer you sit the more you will notice line structure, chicken wire (some LCD projectors) Also the type and quality of the projector makes a big difference. The better the projector the less you will notice any discrepancies.

Cheers
    Rob

3. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 7'6"" screen with a 7' projected image and I find that even at 13' back, the size of the image can be difficult to take in especially in fast moving scenes. Any closer and you feel overwhelmed and unable to see the whole film.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your talking crt's then the projector should be 1.5 times the width, and you should sit 2 times the width. I sit 14 ft back on a 7 ft screen which is about as close as i can get without it killing my eyes

5. Mal

Mal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks Rob, thanks MJWhitehouse.

6. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps different circumstances to most of you, but there are no scan lines visible with my HCPC system, so with an 8 foot screen, we're sitting about 12 feet back and it looks wonderful. And it's possible to sit 6 feet back and it still looks great.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The answer to this actually depends on a few things. Type of projector, resolution of projector and then screen aspect ratio.

If you use a dlp/lcd or non-line mutiplied crt then you want to sit far enough away so that you don't see the pixels/line structure. This distance is varies from projector to projector.

A 7FT wide screen of 4:3 aspect ratio has a lrger field of view than a 7 ft wide 16:9 one. So, I'd suggest that you get a sheet and fold it to the desired aspect ratio and size, then get two folk to hold it up roughly where you'd have it on your wall. Then just move backwards till you feel you can see the entire screen comfortably without having to turn your head all the time. That'll be the ideal distance and you then have to check that your chosen display device's ideal distance is the same. You should be able to do this in a shop.

Same idea, just throw the size of image you're after then walk away until all picture structure (ie pixels. scan lines) disappear. Hopefully both distances will be the same... If not then better further away than too close I think.

The distance the projector goes from the screen is dependant on the lenses used in each unit, this includes CRT's

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

8. Mal

Mal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your replies