1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distance from plasma questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by carefactornil, Apr 3, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new here, looking to get a wall mounted plasma soon. Did some research a few years ago and compared various models, of course everything has moved on now.
    I'm planning on sitting about 5.3 metres away from the screen - this isn't really negotiable 'cos of the room dimensions.
    Looking at the difference between 42" & 50" there's quite a price jump for those extra 8 inches (usually well into 4 figures). With me being so far away (relatively) from the screen, the 50" would make sense but do people think the price is worth it?
    Also, when I looked at models previously I noticed quite a lot of 'artefacts', even on DVDs. By this I mean colour banding and images having trouble keeping up with a fast moving image. But that was when I was about 2.5m from the screen. Do you think the greater distance would mean I won't notice some of these things like the banding? Does anyone else sit this far away and have any experiences of seeing undesirable effects?
    Any thoughts appreciated - normally I'm very fussy about image clarity/quality but I'm wondering if it's going to count when I'm over 5m from the screen, even if it's 50".

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Things have moved on a lot in the past year or so. The best plasmas now suffer from far less of the artefacts that you saw in their equivalents some time ago and some of the cheaper ones now will match the best from a couple of years ago (with some notable exceptions - starting with a T !)

Viewing from over 5 metres would make a 50" preferable to a 42" but as you say, extra cash. 42" will still look good. Some artefacts will be less obvious from 5m+ , others, particularly "banding" won't. Get a top quality screen and if that means going for 42 rather than 50 to keep within budget that would be my advice.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a 50" is 40% bigger than a 42", amazing the difference 8 inches can make... ;)

I don't see colour banding or trouble with fast moving scenes on decent DVDs even at 2.5m on today's 50 inchers (namely Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony).

At 5.3m, I would want a 50" if I could afford it, and I doubt that I'd notice much of a worse picture compared to the 42", and only then it would be on very poor source material. It's the problem of the source material rather than the plasma - as a high-definition demo will show! I think it's safe to say though that for me, yes, the close-up problems disappear at 5.3m. If you're going the panel route, then a scaler may be worth looking at to help if you feel it necessary...

If I were to save my pennies and go 42", I'd want to get closer to the screen to be honest! Ie moving sofa and putting the plasma on a stand away from the wall...

Go to a shop with a measuring tape, and make sure if you want! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, though.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    It would be cheaper to get a 42" and a pair of binoculars... :D

5. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    or you could just pull your chair up :devil:

6. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Piers - I'm surprised about the banding being visible from over 5m+. I only noticed this in the past when I was about 2-3m away, so I was figuring that with technology advances plus being further away it might not be an issue. I guess the thing to do is get into a place that can demo with 5m away...

Whilst I will use DVDs for all films, my main watching will be TV. I've had Sky Digital in the past but currently have HomeChoice which isn't quite as good a picture but has other advantages. I won't watch analogue at all.

I wish I could move the TV or sofa but it's not going to be sensible - it's too difficult to explain in words why, but other furniture and a gigantic mural play a large part!

Hopefully my budget will stretch to a 50". Reading the forum there's talk of new models coming from the big guns. Is it really going to be worth waiting for them? I hate waiting for technology stuff as there's ALWAYS something better coming and I can't cope with my small screen any more! :mad:

If anyone has a particular recommendation for a 50" that I'll be using for Homechoice Digital TV, DVDs and displaying digital photos (through a laptop) based on the 5.3m distance then I'd appreciate them. :lease:

Also, are there any electronic shows coming up where there might be some plasma bargains? I know I've just missed Bristol...

Cheers.