1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distance From 42 ins Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Barry Shaw, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Barry Shaw

Barry Shaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the correct distance you should see a 42 ins plasma. I would like to put this on the wall but the only outside wall I have( with breeze block cavity) is only 10 foot wide to the opposite end. I am also concerned that the sound will be too high especially with the centre speaker. The other option I have is to put it on a stand as the other wall is just plasterboard so will not be strong enough to hold a 42 ins plasma.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    From seeing Tony's 768 resolution Pioneer 433mxe plasma, I'd say 2.5 picture widths away or 2x with a good scaler and a DVD source.

I calculate a 42inch 16:9 plasma screen is about 37inch wide, 0.925 meters.

I'd assume 2.3m away keeps it looking nice, you probably wouldn't want to be much closer than 1.85m even with a good digital video scaler, but then again, that's pretty close!

You might find the 480 resolution panel plasmas need a bit longer viewing distance to avoid looking pixelated.

It's about balanding how engrosing by the more of your eyesite the screen fills (subtended viewing angles), v.s viewing the pixellation, film grain or noise in the display. There's a good paper on the dolby site, but it's more for projection screens, all about : http://www.dolby.com/movies/m.in.0009.screensize.pdf

Oh, and I don't like viewing more than 4m away as I'd then need my glasses on as I'm slightly short sighted.

How's this compare to reality living with a plasma?
    Rob.

3. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I sit about 7 feet away from my 4 series Panny, and good sources (Freeview and DVD) look fantastic. Composite feed from the vcr is a bit ropey, but I don't really watch videos anymore anyway.

DVD is connected via component, and Freeview via SCART to VGA cable. No scalers in use.

I'm very pleased with it, and find you get a good 'cinematic' feel at this distance.

4. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi tman,
    You mention that you are watching freeview via Scart to VGA. What make and type of cable is this. I have Panny 4, and Panny Freeview box, and would be interested

Cheers, Lee

5. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Iscolman, I use the Keene Syncblaster cable. Picture quality is excellent from my Nokia 221T. It cost me about £70, but it's been well worth it.

6. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Which model syncblaster are you using? Is it the standard box with cables extra, or an all-in-one? I'm using a CSY-2100, which is available from lektropacks and maplin. It converts RGB Scart to Component Video. I would be interested to hear if you get solarisation on the screen with your configuration. I get a lot of this on plain colours, ie. all white, yellow etc.

Cheers
    Lee