distance determines signal strength?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by wbabbington, Jun 7, 2008.

1. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Is distance from the dish to your tv a factor in determining signal strength/quality.

My flat is quite far away from where the dish is positioned, so the cables must run a fair distance to my socket. Ive noticed that my signal quality bar is about two thirds full and the signal strength about a quarter. While ive not noticed any difference in picture quality, most of the time I cant get the digital radio stations and Channel 4+1 keeps breaking up.

Would a signal booster help?

2. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,599
    Yes, if the cable is very long there will be attenuation and a booster might sort out your problems. These are not too expensive so worth a try.

However, it is worth checking with that the dish is aligned properly and folks who are closer to the dish get a good signal first..

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Probably, but make sure it's a satellite signal booster similar to this link and not just simply a TV aerial booster amp.
    You'll need two for use with Sky+ or SkyHD.

4. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    At the moment ive only got one feed working (so cant record 2 channels at once) guessing that means i only need one?

5. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Depends why only one feed is working! If it's because you only have one line connected, then you only need one amp. If you have both leads connected but only one is getting a signal, then an amp in both leads might sort the problem!

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Actually, Maplin have made a mistake there. That's a linear amplifier which is designed to boost the signal before a splitter. It is NOT suitable for compensating for a long cable.

The type to look for comes under various names but is usually something like "equalised slope LNB amplifier" and it is marked with a lower and upper gain figure such as "12 - 17dB".

The reason is that the attenuation in a cable is greater for higher frequencies than lower so the amplifier has to "equalise" them by boosting higher frequencies more.

7. nobby1963

nobby1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi,
    I dont know if this is relevant but here goes anyway.....

I live in a house on a development with communal satalite systems ( there are both flats and houses and a number of communal dishes ).

I had a problem with the signal strength that I was getting and confirmed with a neighbour that his signal strength was better than mine.

I got intouch with the management company who inturn got the system installers out to look at what was wrong.

It turns out that a number of properties are connected to a `pit` where the feed from the satalite is split to individual properties. All they had to do was `turn up` the strength of the siignal in the pit to our house and everything was fine.

Could it be that this may be the case with your system ? worth a try perhaps.

As it happens in December last year I went for HD and as our communal system is only a single feed I had a dish put up on my garage wall at the bottom of the garden ( even though this is not strictly allowed ) but I wanted the full functionality of the box.

Sorry if this is not an option but you dont know till you try....

EDIT. Just remembered if you only have a single feed and want full functionality then there is a stacker / destacker thingamy that you can get to solve the problem of a single feed system.

8. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Thanks guys, gives me something to look for.

Only have one feed working as just have the one feed as it was set up for standard Sky. Have had quotes for the stacker system just need to get round and get it organised.