1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissecting an SVS (small 56k friendly pics included)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rOAdeh, Sep 4, 2003.

1. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Finally it arrives - over 2 weeks since i first blew the driver and now i have a nice shiny new one in my hands. ...MUAHAHAHAHAA ../me continues evil laughter

First of all its huge (well obviously it being 12" in diameter and all.. and weighs a ton - i think the parcel was about 9kg :eek: - there's no instructions but it looks pretty simple, just a few screws from the looks of things.

Couple of pics of said driver:

[​IMG]Driver Front (with LOTR box for scale)
    [​IMG]Driver Side (with LOTR box for scale)

Next remove the 3 feet at the bottom and unscrew the screws to remove the bass plate.

[​IMG]Bass Plate

This reveals the driver in all it's glory. Then remove the 8 screws surrounding the driver.

[​IMG]Old Driver Still in Sub

Proof that an SVS actually looks like a ported loft (think it's the same material... my hands all itchy after brushing against it :eek:) also it shows the amp and just long those ports are.

Inside an SVS

This must be what a PB2 ISD is like :/ - imagine the B4 Plus :eek:

PB2???

Sub was then reassembled - found it impossible to replace driver while the sub was on it's side - too heavy to hold it in place while attempting to screw it in plus theres no way to grasp on to the driver without pushing on the cone so in the end i resorted to turning the whole sub upside down. This allowed me to rescrew it in far easier. However, i had to use a flat headed screwdriver to prise the driver up a bit to allow me to position it over the screwholes (as I'm a numpty and managed to miss them completely when i first placed the driver).

Then a quick reassembly of the bass plate with feet and everything was done. Plugged in and switched on and hear that reassuring 'thud'

Job's a good'un! :smashin:

Total time taken: About 30 minutes, though i was being cautious and also obviously photographing my way through. I was surprised by just how simple the sub is inside really - i was expecting a vast amount of gadgets and PCBs and things - though the amp looked quite interesting.

Anyway thanks again to Mr Tom and his band of merry men for providing it so quickly and painlessly.. means a lot nowadays. I just hope it doesn't break again this time...:lesson:

Cheers,

rOAdeh

:clap:

p.s. who made the stupid rule saying you can't have many pics in your thread?!?!!?!? It's driving me insane (i originally had all the pics as part of the thread but that stupid rule has made me just link them all now)

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    there is no rule i am aware of as i use images all the time in the reviews, although if you overdid things by letching other peoples bandwidth there might be problems.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of having higher quality pics? I'm on DSL :)

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    yeah for some reason you are limited on images that can be shown, i tried to change the thread for you, but the last two links will have to stay as they are.

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers THX, at least i'm not going mad - though it is sort of frustrating.

And yes normally nathan i would be able to oblige but i managed to overwrite the original pics when i did the resizings...

Damn adobe photoshop batch processing - makes me not concentrate properly i tell you! ..Wait till next time i break it though k? ;)