1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John Watts, May 10, 2002.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Well folks again thank you all for all your replies with my thread about the servo 15.
    I want to let you know what happened.

Yesterday RS were supposed to call me when the sub arrived in store. They never called so i called 5 times only to not get through, so today i visited the store and asked where my phone call was yesterday, "sorry we were busy"
    Ok so where is the sub? "RS dont have any left sir"
    Ok but when i ordered one last week you said you had 6. "there all faulty sir and now were not dealing with Paradigm anymore"
    Great thanks for letting me know.
    So there you have it i need to look at other subs at least there was some good debate with my thread even if it lead to nothing.

At this point have any of you heard a Paradigm PS1000? also is there much difference between the REL Q150 and Q200?
    that should open another can of worms with any luck ha ha.
    thanks folks in anticipation,John.

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john, i had a similar problem with r/s at prestwich on weds. they said none were left but some were going to come in and they phoned o/branches for me suposedly. thurs a.m .seeing my chances of one dissapearing i started to phone their branches, first time lucky i found a display model at liverpool and went and got it. phone branches up and ask if they have a display model in make sure they check, good luck its worth it.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Richer Sounds up to their usual incompetent standard.

A month or so ago, a mate in the UK tried to get a couple of Paradigm PDR 10´s for my Fathers setup. They had none in stock but told him they could get some in, Ok he said, can you order them for me. No, cant do that as they´re on special offer, we´ll just have to wait and see if any come in. Three weeks pass, after several phonecalls, still have none in.

Finally, my mate phones them again. Yes, we have some in but they are only in Cherry, dont want Cherry we want black ones we say. In the end we bought a PS1000 (mates bringing it next week to Spain).

Funniest thing is my mate got a phonecall the other day from RS saying they now had two black ones in stock, bit late as we bought another sub from you last week, my mate says!!:rolleyes:

Wont tell you the farce we had trying to get a Servo 15!! Gave up on that one.

It seems if they have it in stock in the shop then no problem, as soon as they have to order anything, they either dont want to know or balls it up completely.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This seems an ideal opening for one of our many IT members to go see Julian and pitch for some work.

John Wilks

All of your questions have been covered many times before so please use the forum search facility and read the old threads

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some of r/s staff dont even know what a servo 15 is, so i still think its worth phoning round their branches, they could have a display model or one buried in boxes and not know it. i must say that some of their staff are excellent and really helpful-pity not more of them are.

6. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See, I said they were no good :D

Chip

7. PHY.com

PHY.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip,

I think that you're being a little harsh as Paradigm is one of the biggest names over the pond and if there were problems with the Servo they would have been ironed out a long time ago as this is not a new model.

Unless, of course they are dumping the faulty stock onto the Uk which I think is hardly likely.

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chip, you seek the truth according to you. so here it is-you are wrong about the servo 15-still entitled to your opinions but still wrong, maybe you had one of those faulty ones?

9. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come to think of it, the driver did wobble a lot :D

Chip

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As I and many others have repeatedly said, dealing with Richer Sounds is a pain in the Butt, if only they didn't have some great bargains floating around. My experience buying my Paradigm are much the same and were fully documented here. Luckily Paradigm are a great company to deal with. But to those who persist, the rewards await....;)

11. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I was buying a couple of weeks ago my local branch suggested trying the mail order line and sure enough they had one. It was delivered on the correct day and worked.

So far no one has suggested listening to an MJ Acoustics Pro 100. If I couldn't have sourced the Servo 15 that is what I would have been trying next. The MJ 50 I tried was nice and tight but not low enough or loud enough for my room. The MJ 100 is supposedly better than 2x50's and gets equally stunning magazine reviews, though I suspect that the HiFi press have dumbed down recently. I believe that the twin 8" speakers have +/-1" movement which may make up for their smaller size.

12. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Chip, thank you for your thoughts on this thread untill now you have offered a different perspective on all the other posts however i think you are wrong now to suggest that Paradigm are a bad company or that the servo 15 is a bad product.
    You have been objective thus far but now it seems you just want to gloat,well the fact remains that RS let me down not Paradigm and im not beat yet,im still looking for a servo 15,i wont stop untill there is no chance whatsoever of getting one because for 500 quid its worth that kind of dosh just to know what its like,you see im interested in this sub.
    I was very gratefull to you at first but now instead of helping me like everyone else here,all you want to do is gloat,im happy your happy mate,good for you but i think the whole point of this place is not to say hey im better than you its to help all of us especially people like me who dont know too much,and be humble-like we all should be.
    Thanks again folks,John.

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    John wilks,
    I tried to order a Paradigm Servo 15 for a neighbour who is disenchanted with his REL today from RS. (Sat 11 May).
    I was told by the person who has sold me many items including a Paradigm Servo 15 for myself, that there are no more of these within Richer Sounds anywhere.
    He stressed that it was not a discontinued item, they have not finished dealing with Paradigm, and more will be available shortly.
    For what it's worth, I believe him and would urge you to wait.
    It is fantastic value for money.

14. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you folks know the Paradigm PS-1000 sub in on offer again at RS for £149.99 but only if you qoute that you saw the AD in what-hifi June Ed. This is a great sub for the money and I'm well pleased with mine.

15. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks mandlebrot,
    RS have a PS1000 in stock here,for the sake of 150 quid i think i'll buy it tomorrow and then keep searching for a servo15,at least i'll have a decent sub to put me on.
    The only thing that im thinking is"you gets what you pay for" and 150 pounds is next to nothing for a sub really.
    Oh well we'll see its got to be better than the module sub that i have with my Bose accoustimass.

16. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Need I say anymore........I rest my case...:D

Chip

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Paradigm prices are interesting in their own right. US price followed by RS price

PDR-8 $299/EACH RS £99.95
    PDR-10 $349/EACH RS £119.95
    PS1000 $519/EACH RS £149.95
    PW-2200 $799/EACH RS £??.??
    Servo15 $1500-1750/EACH RS £499.95

Use exchange rate at about $1.4:£1 currently and north american gear usually is priced at £1:$1 here or even worse (M and K).

Interesting isn’t it.

Don’t forget Paradigm does some great speakers as well. I re heard a CC370 centre in RS the other day £180. Great centre, they also had bookshelf Paradigms as well.

I think Chip has made a valuable contribution to this debate. I may not agree with what he said but he made many here think about what they were doing. That is valuable in my book. We need more posters like that here, I think.

18. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    If I had 5% of your patience I'd be a better man. You are indeed a gentleman.

Eric

19. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    stranger, Am I right in saying that you bought the display Servo 15 from Richer Sounds, Liverpool???

I have had my hands on that very one so many times and nearly bought it!!!

Can you remember which member of staff served you? There are two people in that store that couldn't do enough for you and then the other 4 are the laziest b******s in the world, I have had so many arguments in there and it took the help of one of the assistant directors who was 'checking up' on the store to sort my problems out (with a Mission 77C1 & 771e's)

Cheers

Chris

20. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Chip,
    is that the chip on your shoulder or what?
    you may not like my kit and i may not have your budget but that dousn't mean you should go aroung "dissing" other peoples stuff.
    Just be gratefull that your happy.
    Apart from that thanks again for your input, Nic has a good pointbut he usually dous exept he's humble with it.

21. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thudspud, the guys name was peter, he couldn't do enough to help from my first phonecall to him helping to carry it to the car, excellent service from him and fifty quid off for the surface scratches.

22. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    WHAT!!!!!!!

Peter was helpful?!?! He is the one who i have all the trouble with! And he gave you £50 off?

Obviously i just have a personality clash with him!

Cheers

Chris

23. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just him?

Chip

24. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm sure I'll find more when I start to visit other richer sounds stores ;)

Cheers

Chris

25. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thudspud, don't get paranoid, i've just remembered there was an r/s director on duty! one who is a real pain in the bum when he's at the prestwich branch. seems to think he knows what you want better than you do and tries to insist on you buying it. you know the type, anyway i luckily got the service and a bargain on that day. p.s. if you scratched it, thanks, ken.