Dissapointing Prints from Photobox

Sleepy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I decided to take advantage of the 70 free print offer from www.photobox.co.uk all i had to do was pay £1.50 postage which come the next day what i thought was excellent.

After looking through the prints every photo has been cropped by them meaning theres bits missing off each side making the photos worthless.

The quality seems good if a bit dull and dark. i cant really argue as i paid £1.50 for 70 prints but i wouldn't use them again i dont think. and would be a bit annoyed if i paid full price.

Heres an example of what i mean

2632193518_04d42064fe.jpg

2638818027_3293b2f1bc.jpg

2632147636_5552db1a2c.jpg

2638819449_b8ea912ac7.jpg

anyone else had a bad experience of photobox?

What is the best online photo place to use?

Mmm, i dont this this is a Photobox fault to be honest!

Neither of the two pics posted have a 6 x 4" or a 7 x 5" aspect ratio!! If you dont tell Photobox during the ordering process how you want it cropped based on the print size you have selected they will apply the default crop! This is generally a central crop maximising the amount of detail. To me this is what appears to have happened.

Regarding the colour/contrast etc its probably more of a calibration issue! I have always had excellent results from them after I got them to send me a test print to compare with their calibration image.

Hope this helps!

BTW Crackin shots!!!

Have you told Photobox about this? It is only fair that you do so to give them a chance to make good on your photos and to help prevent the same thing happening to sonebody else.

agree this isn't a photobox problem, its just their attempt to get a nonstandard ratio into a standard one. something has to give. You'd have had the same results taking the shots into a lab to get processed.

I think they may have an option to not crop but then you'd have had white bars top and bottom.

photobox do do other sizes which may suit your aspect ratios better. In the past when I've had odd sizes I've selected an oversize print and chosen not to crop. Then when the photo arrives I cut off the white bars to give me the print at the right shape.

If you ask nicely thry wil also tell what printer they use and you can get the colour profile for it.

I had issues many years ago with Jessops, found out they were using Fuji Frontier printers, and was able to get the profile and colour space needed for photoshop , then when you take the prints in mention to them to turn of all the autop colouring and sharpening etc, the results were 1000 times better.

Also just to add what others have mentioned if your buying 5 by 7 then make sure you crop to 5 x 7.

I've been caught out in the same way with Photobox - having photos cropped. They do alert you to it as you pic the photos but you may not notice. Once bitten, twice shy. I always check now before I get anything printed by them. Otherwise the results I get from them are great.

I used Photobox for first time myself last year and i have to agree that i noticed the colours wasn't as bright and the photo was darker overall , I've used Truprint before hand and never really had same kind of problems with them when i had photos developed.

Mod comment: Ive altered the title for clarity

The consensus seems to be that for colours :
Getting a test print from them to compare with calibration image (Im not sure exactly how that works though)
Using thier printer profile ( if possible)
may help

To avoid cropping, Sending them images sized as you wish and letting them know to not crop would be the solution
I would imaging this is not peculiar to Photobox though
ASDA, Tesco and several other online priters use default crops unless asked not to

Lest we forget: great pics:smashin:

PhotoBox are excellent, and I've used them often.

It appears you did not check the cropping/framing when selecting the pics for printing. You need to be careful on that page, but it lets you set it up just how you like for non standard sizes.

I'd ask them about the colours though :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom