Dissapointing image quality on Philips 9986

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mediastation, Feb 17, 2005.

1. mediastation

mediastation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - finally got my new 32" philips 9986 LCD TV - But somewhat dissapointed with the picture quality! I was prepared for perhaps a bit of difficulty displaying blacks - but the quality overall quality of the image is very poor - colour is blocky and graduated. especially noticable on skin tones. Makes everyone look very ill or dead!

See the picture here...

The set is getting a scart signal through EXT1 from a grundig digibox.

Is this common on these sets? or have I got a dodgy one? I have tried most of the settings metioned in these forums but no real improvement. Why is this set getting such rave reviews?

Any comments, help, advice or similar experiences?

2. sbheaven

sbheaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried a dvd through Ext2

That will help you decide whether it is the TV or the digibox.

Also try switching cables to see if that will help eliminate the problem

If the problem is the TV post your settings here and I am sure someone will help

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what I've seen on demo models, and read on the forum, LCD's and plasmas need a good quality feed to show their full potential. Unfortunately, LivingTV is likely to be more compressed (lower bitrate) and will show up the inadequacies of the TV. As suggested above try a DVD to eliminate the TV from the equation.

Wackojacko32

PS perhaps it just doesnt like Lawrence :D

4. mediastation

mediastation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips - wish it was just a "Lawrence" allergy! - I have just tried changing the scart /removing the digibox and just having a direct scart connection to the set from the DVD playing "Troy" - Tried both EXT 1 and 2 and it is still the same. - in fact in Troy there is a lot of "creamy" colours - sand - similar colour ranges to skin - it is definitely this it is having serious trouble with.

5. mediastation

mediastation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Tried it using the DVI in using the same DVD from the PC - picture is fine! - So a new question - what bit of Kit do I need to use DVI for Freeview/Digital TV and DVD?