1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissapointing 4:3 > 16:9 scaling on Panny 42PA50

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bengbeng, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Still not decided which Plasma I want. Watched again the Panny today but there is one very annoying point (imo); the 4:3 broadcast > 16:9 scaling is bad if you compare it with Philips, Pioneer, Sony, etc.
    Human heads are too wide, not natural. Other brands i've mentioned do a better job. They cut slightly more from top and bottom of the image so heads remain their natural appearance.

I've tried the 'juist' setting too on the Panny, but this doesn't help, looks the same as 'auto'. Why oh why Panasonic? :lease:
    (even a el cheapo Vestel does a better job on this)

2. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want to watch the picture all stretched anyway, even the best sets look horrible to me. If you're paying good money for a top notch picture why compromise it, put up with the black bars and watch the correct aspect ratio.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I have my freeview PVR connected to my PW7 via the JS Tech RGB to VGA box, and I never get any black bars, the setting on the panel is 16:9 and the picture always fills the screen and never looks squashed..

lisa

4. theios

theios

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe he's scared of burning the sides of the tv keeping the black bars forr too long

5. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A good set does the scaling acceptable, for me. Ofcourse not perfect but acceptable, i'm used to it over the years. I prefer it over 4:3 watching.
    Looking at the Panny the first thing i notice is that they use a scaling method which does remind me of the very first crt widescreen sets, from let's say 10 years ago. :rolleyes:
    Plasma's from Philips, Pioneer, Loewe, Sony, JVC and many other (cheap) brands
    do it acceptable, only exception seems to be LG, Samsung and... Panasonic. :suicide: