Dissapointed with new Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by WillT23, Dec 29, 2006.

1. WillT23

WillT23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey everyone,

I've finally put together my system, and basically I'm pretty darn dissapointed :( . It's as follows:

Wharfedale Evo2-10 Speakers on Atacama Speaker Stands
    NAD C542 CD Player
    Denon PMA700 Amp
    Mark Grant Interconnects
    Chord Odyssey Speaker Cable

I just thought that I'd be getting much more from this system, as I've been scrapping all my cash together to get something that would make my music collection come to life but it just sounds like it does through basic TV speakers only I hear a few more details and a little better clarity. It just sounds too fatiguing and bright/harsh. I was listening to a Libertines Cd earlier and I could barely turn the amp knob past the 9'o clock point without all the instruments getting overly muddy and bright (maybe this is all the amps fault, i'm just not sure :confused: ). Could anyone offer any advice or help on getting more out of it (or possibly even tips on replacing some of the cables or components) please? It would be a massive help :)

Cheers,

-Will

2. av-phile

av-phile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way you described your predicament sounds like you're getting a lot of mulitple reflections off untreated surfaces in a rather lively room. Accoustically untreated rooms tend to muddy what otherwise would be a detailed soundstage presentation. Your gears seem top rate to me, unless they've been poorly modified or repaired. I suggest you take some time to learn more about room accoustics. What you hear is basically 50% your room accoustics and the rest from your speakers. At the other end, what is termed as an accoustically "dead" room gives no reflections or at least gets susbtantially decayed to reach your ears, so you get essentially 100% the sound of your speakers. A liveable room with acceptable accoustic quality would be somewhere in between. I would suggest you get your room acoustics up to the task before suspecting any of your gears as being a culprit to your disatifaction. Bear in mind that the finest sound system can sound crap in an accoustically untreated room, while a mediocre system can sound gorgoous in an accousticaly engneered room.

3. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the Items are all new it can take several days for the components and especially speakers to be run in. This may smooth some the excess treble and improve bass.

4. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    jeez - if your Nad 542 is anything like the 541 I had it was warm warm warm - far too warm infact so those speakers or amp must be seriously bright !!

Daft question, but I've fallen down the trap many times, even after double-checking, are the polarities of your speaker cables definately right ....
    worth a check.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Theres your problem, right there............good equipment does not guarantee better sound, infact it can be worse depending on the recording.........dig something out on an original CD that is well recorded.

6. WillT23

WillT23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This sounds like it could be the problem, as although the bedroom it's in has a carpet, there's not really anything else too soft. There are a few wardbrobes, a metal bed and a wooden cd storage unit.. oh, and a few posters on the walls. Is there anything simple enough you can do to make the room acoustics better?

I've had the speakers and the amp since around July, as well as all the cables. It's only this Christmas that I got the C542, although perhaps that needs to be run in more.

It's not that it's not warm.. as it is, it has a warm-ey muddy harsh sound. It just doesn't sound clear at all. All the instruments are kind of blurred together, it's quite piercing when you turn the volume high up and I generally don't get only feeling out of it. I was listening to Radiohead earlier, one of my favourite songs by them, and it just kind of sounded un-emotional and quite boring. I just couldn't.. well.. feel it, ya know. It's very unninvolving and makes music that doesn't sound like anything else.. sound like everything else.

When I listen to something on my ipod with it blasting in both ears you can generally hear pretty much every detail and generally feel what the artist you're listening to is trying to make you feel. While my new system that's cost me around 800 quid over the past 6 months(!!) just doesn't give me that urge to listen to music.. at all. I've been thinking that if the NAD and the Wharfedale are both very warm then that could be what's giving it the muddy sound, and the Denon amp has been giving it the harshness (well some of it, as my room won't help) and possibly the unninvolving sound due to it being the cheapest and maybe not working well with the british designed NAD and Wharfedale..??

Any replies will be very much appreciated :)

Cheers,

-Will

7. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    in the era of turntables, there are no such things as 'room acoustics', or such...we bought TT, spend some cash on records and enjoying music. bright and harsh and fatigue were unknown words.

than came CD and I think there is no cheap cure for this. you can try with 'room treatment' but on the long run you'll be dissapointed as well.

my advice to everyone who can't stand 'digitalis' is to buy tube amp. i'm on my second, and it's the last chance to inject some humanity into CD's. if you know the feeling of impatience to came home and turn On your music and literally eating CD's one after another, then you know what i'm talking about.

8. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I disagree with that, whilst a system can't make purse out of a sows ear, it can at least cover it's tracks, if it's been well put together in the first place.

A number of issues needs to be focused on here for the OP..

Sorry to see that you're disappointed with your new system WillT23. Did you demo the gear in the first place ? Did it sound like it did in the shop ?.

If you did, then it's a matter of tweaking things around a bit and running the system in for a couple of weeks ( as stated by Harv )..

Firstly check that it's all been wired up correctly. Experiment with angling the speakers in a bit, and/or move them nearer to the walls and between each other. Sometimes people have their speakers to far apart, which can rob the sound of solidity and focus. Next make sure the speakers are mounted to their stands correctly, without any movement fore and aft. Use a spirit level to level them, then make sure the stands are ankered to the floor, without any movement.

If you got other cables, interconnects stashed away somewhere, try those... Make sure there isn't any glass, mirrors, picture frames near the speakers. Buy some small rugs and strategically place them arond the room and indeed on the walls - if it's practical to do so ?!.. It'll soak up any high pitched standing waves etc.. Little tweaks like these could help no end..

Lastly if all fails, then you might have to just conceed defeat, bite the bullet and try an alternative set up. Maybe trying out a few different amps or speakers... The NAD CD player in my opinion is far from bright and quite a lovely sounding little machine.

Goodluck

Tim :)

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I think there was a lot more to it than that........amplifiers were very warm and had poor bass control due to transistor quality, going on about tube amps is not the answer, they are not the panacea for everything and are mostly good at producing 'nice' distortion.......thats why I like to use them for guitar. Modern transistor amps can better valves in virtually every way, you can even make them sound like valves (which is what is happening with modelling guitar amps these days), Sugden amps are very valve like. Im not knocking valve amps by any means, I have heard some great valve amps, but it really is not the only way to get a system to work.

Reading between the lines.....the speakers are described as warm and detailed but lacking in bass with a harsh top end, they are descrinbed as good speakers for solo and classical performances......Denon amps can also have a similar nature although I have never heard this particular model. The CD player looks OK.

So, kick some badly recorded indie rock CD through it and its going to sound bad. This is where it gets really difficult choosing HiFi, because a revealing system, reveals the shortfalls in the recordings and then adds its own little character.

You can listen through an MP3 player that removes the detail from the recording, add some extra bass with the inbuilt equaliser and with no room acoustics to worry you, it sounds marvellous........your listening to something that is inherently none hifi, but sounds good to you..........this does not happen with a hifi system, you get the whole, warts and all recording.

Try something mellow and well recorded and see how it sounds, something like Tool's 10 000 days might give you an idea of how it could sound or get a copy of Cyndi Laupers 12 deadly cynns or Nirvanas unplugged album.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Not in my book..........I have found that as you move up the chain of hifi components it makes a good album sound incredible and a bad album sounds awful. Hifi is exactly what it says, it does not 'cover its tracks' it reveals the exact nature of the signal it is given RI/RO I'm afraid.

I can remember buying some Cds for my first CD player (A&R A60 amp, Arcam Cd Player and Mordant Short Pageant II speakers on Linn stands) the sound of the very first Cds was nothing short of an abomination and I quickly resurrected my Turntable for the next two years while the Cd player gathered dust. Then someone bought me a couple of Cds for Christmas.....Belinda Carlise and Bryan Adams (yuk yuk) so I played them, in those two years suddenly they had learned to make those shiny discs sound half decent ! But I have noticed that a lot of new music is either mixed flat and compressed or just like a muddy garage mix, I dont think the artists care too much as they expect them to be ripped and burned and fed to an MP3 player.

11. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I suspect the room acoustics are playing an important role here but did you listen ie demo this equipment before buying it.

As for a good HiFi system making a poor recording sound awful, within reason a decent system should be able to make any recording enjoyable. To my mind, any HiFi which restricts the choice of music is missing the point about HiFi being the mechanisms for listening to music. I do fully accept there are some dreadful recordings out there particularly in some modern or pop records but there is very little the consumer can do to change this desire to compress music or for the negligent standards. A decent system should still allow you to enjoy the music

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Unfortunately this isn't the case. A modest system will mask many of the flaws in a recording while a decent system won't. The higher up the hi-fi chain you go the more this is the case. A high end system will really show up what's been produced by someone who either hasn't bothered, or is tone deaf, every time. I don't see how it can be otherwise, as the best gear is, by it's very nature, the most revealing of the recording and recording process.

I know some marques (naming no names) do aim to produce an 'all round sound' which hides some of the 'warts' but by doing that they are only introducing compromises and doing the very thing they shouldn't be - altering what you hear.

A good quality system should be completely 'invisible', or as near to as possible, and as such the recording and the music will stand, or fall, by its merits, not the hi-fi's.

Yes, I'd say the room is having a lot of bearing here. However, the system synergy is out somewhere. I don't like the sound of the system getting confused over a certain volume level. That sounds like the amp is working to hard............. which it shouldn't be with those speakers.

13. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    A good track to show off a system sounding nice and mellow in my opionion is have a nice day by Stereophonics.

Even on a seriously rough day - the combination of this music with my setup leaves me beaming :)

14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Enough of the generalisations! :nono:

A good system should make a CD (or LP) sound as bad as it really is. That is it's job.

Try Jethro Tull's "Heavy Horses" or "Songs from the Wood" on CD (digitally remastered). If these sound good to you then trash your system immediately! It is a worthless pile of XXXX exactly like the XXXXX who engineered these CDs!

will's comment about his Ipod sounding great in comparison with his hifi may be the core of the problem. He is used to "blasting his ears". Presumably with earphones?

The latest addition to the hifi system is the NAD CD player.

What source was he listening to with his amp and speakers before the NAD CDP arrived? Was the Ipod his source?

The room sounds fine for average absorption. A carpet and a bed are ideal. The bedframe is unimportant as long as there is a mattress and bedclothes to absorb some reflections.

So, will23T :)

How big is your room?

How far apart are your speakers?

How far away are you away from your speakers?

Are the speakers evenly arranged in the room or is one tight in a corner and the other somewhere else?

How far are the speakers from the opposite wall?

Are they up against something other than a wall? Like a wardrobe?

Are your speakers near or at ear level when you are listening?

Have you tried listening to something nicely recorded even if the music makes you want to chuck?

Can you play well recorded music loudly without it sounding bad?

15. av-phile

av-phile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, the higher one goes up the hi-fi ladder, the more reavealing a system becomes and the more miserable most compressed and artifically equalized pop recordings start to sound. Low end systems with their ubiquitous phase-distorting tone controls and equalizers might seem to make a lousy recording sound good, but actuallythat's more a perception because the listener probably had not listened to a truly uncompressed dynamic recording the way it should have been made and played on a truly revealing transparent system, and knows no better than to think boosting the bass and the highs make for great listening. But no matter, people have varying taste in how they like their music served and that is what this hobby is about.

The combination of NAD CD player and Denon integrated and Wharfedale speakers may not be the most revealing set-up there is but it's certainly no thrash. If you're not happy with the set-up and not getting the emotonal involvement you expect when listening the way you do with MP3s on Ipod, there must really be something wrong with the set-up. Either that, or your ears are more acclimatized to earphones fed with MP3s. I'd think it's more the latter.

See if you could get a decent Sennheiser, Philips or AKG headphones connected to your Denon's headphone jack and confirm that the sound you're getting from CDs doesn't match the same aural invovlement your are getting frm iPods. I would suspect it does. Very often, listening through a good set of headphones can be a more rewarding experience than listening from speakers. Especially if the amplication, speakers and room accoustics are not in their synergistic best. There are so many variables affecting what finally reaches your ear with speakers. Not so with a decent pair of headphones.

16. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this. If i walked into a hi-fi shop to listen to a new hi-fi system and it rendered some of my music useless, i just wouldn't buy it. I prefer to listen to the music and not to the hi-fi system. There is a big difference ;)

This isn't generalizing either but a matter of careful system matching. A revealing system might expose some compression of certain pop music, but it shouldn't make the music any less than nice to listen too. If it makes your music collection sound worse then there is a lack of coherence, timing and more than likely a tonal balance mis-match. As indicated by the OP. :) Londondecca is spot on !

Now lets look at the OP's set up !

Wharfedale Evo2-10 Speakers on Atacama Speaker Stands
    NAD C542 CD Player
    Denon PMA700 Amp
    Mark Grant Interconnects
    Chord Odyssey Speaker Cable

Not the most expensive high-end system in the world. So i think we can discount it as being the most revealing !.. In my opinion it'll only take a few tweaks here and there. Or a change of hardware, and I'm betting that the OP should at least hear some of the benefits of his new system....

Tim :)

17. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    H_I_G_H F_I_D_E_L_I_T_Y means just that.

"Warts and all."

It does NOT mean the exaggeration of faults by being bright or brash or clinical.

That which is reproduced should merely sound real.

Real is far more difficult to achieve than exciting or impressive or warm or clinical.

A real sounding system will make many CDs sound exactly as bad as the drugged and/or drunken, deaf moron (who used broken monitors while engineering them. The expensive equipment and studio time are often thrown away long before the shiny disk is in its cheap and nasty, plastic case.

Many CDs or LPs were and are are not of even of merchantable quality. If your system disguises this fact then you do not have a system that pretends to match reality. That, of course, is a free personal choice but not hifi. :)

18. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    lol and there was me thinking people upgraded their systems to improve matters, not make matters worse. :rolleyes: . The OP wants solutions. It's not fair or helpful to critise his music preferences :)

There are many ways to reach audio nirvana, or there wouldn't be a point of upgrading in the first place :D

19. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I don't disagree except that you seem to be approaching music from the opposite direction to me.

The suggestion that willT23 tries alternative music CDs is meant to be entertaining and educating. Not remotely meant as a criticism of his tastes.

We have drifted far from the OPs needs. I was trying to make the point that the situation needs to be examined with the skills of a forensic scientist.

Let's try rant mode:

Of the tens of thousands of requests for help I have read online only a few have tried to improve what the OP actually owns. Many see it as their chance to sell their product loyalty for all it is worth. This cable, that DAC, valves, whatever. :boring:

We are in NAD country here. Not valves. Not high end this or that. The poor chap is unhappy with the system he has bought with considerable care and limited funds. You almost always do him (or her) a grave disservice by trying to get him to spend more money on an alternative product. Not unless you have the direct experience or skill to point out the weak link in his system can you say anything about his system as a whole.

Most of you haven't heard the combination of components making up our friend's system. You may have owned or heard one or two of them in combination but you have not heard them all in the OP's room! Do not fool yourself that you know every component on the market in all types and sizes of room. Nobody can do this.

Next time somebody says they are unhappy or looking for an upgrade ask them why. Ask them about their room. Ask them about their tastes in music and their experience. Ask them about their systems layout and support.

I have read threads where the owner of a £50k system has his speakers four feet apart and listens from a similar distance but completely off axis! Of course the "regulars" were suggesting new cables, new amps, upgrading this and that. Total codswallop! They hadn't listened to the OP. They hadn't asked the right questions. They only thought they knew the answers.

So read the OPs posts with as much care as if you were solving your own problems. Diving in with shallow descriptions of a component you might have heard somewhere in a different system isn't helping the OP . No more than jacking his or her thread! Which is what you are really doing if you don't add real personal knowledge and experience to the OP's thread.

None of you asked the questions I asked. Ask yourselves: Why not?
    Probably because you did not read the OP's posts with enough care. You scanned and started typing.

About what?

He had not given you enough information yet. So you all went off on your own personal tangents. Problem solving is a two way affair.

Have we progressed in willT23's help me thread? Not yet we haven't.

Hopefully willT23 will chime in between all these irrelevant posts and tell us about his room, his speaker layout, his previous source etc. Only then we can make some progress in trying to solve his problems.

It's lucky I don't hang about here much, isn't it? :rolleyes:

20. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Thats a really bad assumption. Even modest systems can be capable of high levels of transparency.

What we are trying to indicate is that some music may indeed sound less involving than a portable player because it reveals deficiencies in the recording.

Its the same when you go and see a live band for the first time, there is nothing more hifi than the real thing, but in many cases it actually sounds a lot worse than the studio album played through your home system !

Sometimes you have to accept that some music will actually sound worse because it has now changed so much that it is totally different to the sound you have become comfortable with (MP3 player and headphones) and some music that you once hated suddenly reveals so much new information that it becomes your new standard.

Thats exactly how I demo systems........take along music that you would not normally listen to as well as your old standards.

We are agreed that a hifi system should be a step up from an MP3 player and should let you listen to a wider variety of music. But you have to accept that if you have always viewed your face by candlelight, daylight can suddenly reveal far more than your happy with :D

21. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Nimby I'm trying to give practical advice in setting up, running in and tweaking, with the last resort of changing a product if needs be. It's up to the OP to take that advice or not :)

Music is music, to say what sounds Real/Accurate/Enjoyable is down to personal tastes and ones particular point of view.. All along I've been suggesting solutions for the OP, So i haven't taken anything off topic ;)

I'm not going to turn this into a my system is better than yours debate because that doesn't help anyone.

Anyway i know some of you likes to have the last word and that I've given my 2 pennies worth already, so I'll leave it at that ;)

Goodluck WillT23 :thumbsup:

22. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    All good points.

I think we should have a sticky to cover this, anyone else agree ?

Too many times a post starts with a problem hifi system and you have to ask loads of exactly the same basic questions to get the gyst of the problem, or you make assumptions on things like correct phasing.
    We go through this sequence time after time and in some cases the poster just disappears even though the thread has reached gargantuan proportions and we are all left arguing in its wake.

23. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    You can call it: "Avoiding spending more money when it all goes horribly wrong". :devil:

We have all sat in front of a mega-expensive system and been bored to death. I know I have many times. The best music being played at one show was coming from one of the cheapest separates systems. :smashin:

24. WillT23

WillT23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for all the replies everyone :) .

Right then :rotfl: , before I got my NAD I listened to my CDs through a quite cheap Samsung DVD-950. I use my ipod generally when I'm out, and I don't really blast my ears with them, I just have them at reasonable volumes. I'm not one of those muppets who feels like I need to share my music with everyone by having it ridiculously loud! Anyway, I didn't get as much detail out of the Samsung and CDs sounded quite bland before. Now I hear more details, but it still sounds like it's just one big instrument making all of the noise rather than lots of instruments making the music.

My room is about 12 by 9 ft.

About 3.5 ft.

About 6 ft.

Rather than describing where they are I decided to do a two minute sketch on paint :rolleyes: :
    [​IMG]

About 9ft.

As you can see on the picture, the left side of the left speaker and vice versa are right next to part of the wardrobe.

Not really, depends. If I'm on my bed then no, I'm a little higher. But if I'm sat down on the bean bag then yes.

No, I can't say I have. What would you recommend?

Also other people mentioned what music do I listen to. I listen to quite a varied bit of music. From acoustic stuff like Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan, 'Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly', to rockier stuff like The Clash, The Strokes, Muse and probably my favourite band of all time Radiohead (although they do alot of acoustic stuff.. and electronika stuff).

Cheers :) ,

Will

25. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Hi Will :)

You are good sport answering all these questions and even giving us a great picture of your room layout.

Straight off I'd say your speakers are too close together to get decent stereo. The sound will be rather muddled with them that close together. Sort of fat and fuzzy mono.

When you want to listen seriously I'd move the speakers so they are about 5-6 feet apart. There is no hard and fast rule but its usually best to have them about as far a apart as you are distant from them (or slightly less).

If you use a beanbag don't lean hard back against the wall. Get a cushion or something that will bring you forward from the wall just a little. If you are flat against the wall the bass will sound odd due to local pressure effects.

Give that a try and then come and tell us if you noticed any improvement. :smashin:

26. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Are you certain that the speakers are wired 'in phase' ? If the answer is Yes then I'm with Nimby, speakers are just too close together without any room to breath. They are also firing across the width of the room (short axis) which can cause problems. Try them on the right hand wall if you can, they need to be at least 6 feet apart (just under 2m) minimum to work correctly.

Your room has plenty of absorbtion from the bed and and carpet. The system should be powerful enough for a small room. Your ears need to be at the same height as the tweeters when sitting naturally.

Jeff Buckley (Grace) is well recorded so thats definitely a good starting point.

27. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I would suggest trying to put your speakers out into the room silghtly, and have them further apart. They seem a little boxed in where you have them at the moment. Try and slightly turn them in towards your listening position, which may be best being the bean bag, rather than the bed, which is too far off axis to get good stero imaging.

I know moving them out into the room is not a permanent solution, but at least you may be able to experiement to see if this helps.

I also think Jeff Buckley's a great test disc....one of those with the ability to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

28. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I too also had a similar problem with my 'expensive' (to my small wallet) hifi not sounding a) like the demo, and b) like the cash I parted with... (There, I'm out the closet now :rotfl: ).

Here is what I did:

1st, I let the system well and truly run-in (I know what the demo equipment sounded like in my home, so I knew I hadn't brought a duffer). Sounds like you have already done this, since you bought it in June.

2nd, I played with room placement. As others have mentioned, your speakers look too close together / to the wall. Not sure if those have a rear firing bass port, but giving that room to breathe makes a difference. As does the 'equilateral' triangle rule. Speaker A to Speaker B to listening position realtively equal helps. Angle them in and out to change the soundsatge dynamics... Also a bit of room acoustics, main rug in front of sofa, 2 smaller rugs at the 1st floor reflection point (RP), 'bumpy' oil painting at RHS 1st RP etc. Feels like it made a good difference.

3rd, maintenance. TIGHTEN all scews on the speakers, all visiable that is if you are not feeling so brave. The screws on my speakers, after production and approx 5 months listening were almost finger tight (or loose, depending upon how you look at it). Doing this made an incredible difference, imaging clearer, more focus all around, especially with the 'loose' bass. Wild it was!. I also cleaned all contacts (Speaker / Amp / CDP) both ends with Isopropoyl(?). This should be done 1 a year IMHO, no matter how clean you keep your gear, it will age / oxidise slightly (And almost always unnoticeable). Replaced the jumper with speaker cable, in this case the same cable as used internally within the speakers. See sig.

After that I was blown away again! I now 'rush home' to listen to my CDs again. Try all / some of this advice and see how you go.

RE: CD Quality. Prior to all this 'tweaking' I just couldn't listen to my 'best of blur' cd. During this phase (It took time, as I can only do this late in the evenings, 2 year old son and 39 week pregnant wife) I also tried CD treatment.

Call me crazy (flame suit / padded cell at the ready), but I thought that if I couldn't improve the quality of the cd to my ears, then why keep it, I'd never listen to it again.

Sanded the outer / inner edges with fine grade, froze / thawed / froze / thawed the cd. Then inked the outer / innner edges, and inner see-though section with a permanent green maker. Twice.

Had the system warming up (VERY important, never forget this) for 20mins or so with Frankie. After that, slipped in the blur (oh-err missus).

Still sounded s**t.

Weakest link etc, bye bye.

And NO, I do not feel sorry that perhaps half my collection is now scrap. Because I wanted TRUE hi-fidelity, amazing reproduction and clarity. Something that would lift me.

I don't have the time (See above :smashin: ) to listen to badly recorded material. If the studio is lazy / cheap etc, then there loss. There is a huge amount of amazing, well recorded / produced material out there that I haven't even discovered yet!

However OP, give it a go with the advice (maybe not with the CD...). Try other 'audiophile' rated CDs to check all is well.

If it is, and you still are not happy with the sound, then maybe you must change one of the components....

miceri

PS - For my home audition I connected the equipment straight in the wall sockets. When all setup after purchasing I used a monster power filter thingy. I have since removed the CDP from this and 'recovered' the beautiful sound from before, then again I did several tweaks in one go. So who is to say which helped!

29. WillT23

WillT23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just been doing everything you lot recommended; checking polarities. tightening screws and everything.. when I read what miceri said about the Monster Power filter.

I forgot to mention that my setup is plugged into the Audio filter sockets on Monster HTS1000 I bought a few years ago!! The monster is plugged into one of the two wall sockets so I've only got a choice of taking the CDP onto the wall socket or the amp, can't do both! I'll try and come back :thumbsup: .

Cheers :) ,

Will

30. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    to be honest - I had a similar setup which only sounded good with a few CDs ...

you'll get tired of it after a while .... let the speakers bed in - but if you still don't like the sound, start thinking about finding out whats the weak link - then sell that 2nd hand - and replace it ...

any friends of yours that have any hifi that you can borrow for an evening as an experiment ? For instance swapping over the CD player - if everything suddenly sounds quite different, and improved - then you know you've found the weak link etc etc

Mark.