Dissapointed with LCD so far?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by mhd1966, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. mhd1966

mhd1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I currently have a Tosh 32WLT58. Had it since November. The speakers crackle (known about by Tosh as a recognised fault), blacks are not black! otherwise an awesome set. But faults like these are not exclusive to Tosh, they are all part of the LCD revolution. There are more people dissing LCD than what there are upholding it. I`m totally dissapointed with the whole thing. Even to the extent of going back to CRT!

Is there anyone out there that could restore my faith and tell me the make/model number of a good all round 32/37 inch LCD??

As for this Toshiba 32WLT58 ive got..where do I stand with a refund/exchange while still within a year of purchase with an online company?

Cheers Guys,

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    0% chance of getting refund on your set, although if the speakers crackle can get it repaired, if it's under 12 months or extended gurantee. I wouldn't bother with the hassle...usually speakers in flat screen TV's are poo.

I understand what you're saying about black levels, still poor compared to CRT. But are CRT 32" screens 10cm deep?

I think for movie playback have to accept LCD faults, although for computing LCD is great, so a 32" LCD paired with a gaming PC :D I guess if you've got the money have two displays, perhaps DLP projector for films, LCD TV for normal TV & xbox 360/PC gaming.

CRT has loads of problems, from non adjustable focus, geometry and convergence problems, dust and convergence drift with CRT RP's, off-side discolouration. I wouldn't buy another CRT direct view or CRT RP.

3. mhd1966

mhd1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for that Bob, what do you recon about an exchange?

4. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Very unlikely. Perhaps so if you bought it from John Lewis, but forget it from Comet.

Your set would be repaired and not replaced or refunded, if it's the speakers only I wouldn't risk sending it away. In fact I wouldn't want a replacement, if yours has 0 dead pixels the replacement could have a few dead pixels total number under the dead pixel policy. Dead pixels much worse than crackly speakers you'll probably mute anyway. :rotfl: You won't get a refund/replacement unless Toshiba have a product recall of course only issued if a safety fault is found, ie the case is live on some sets:eek:

5. mhd1966

mhd1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is a fully recognised fault that Tosh has stated the set has and Tosh has continued to market it. I got it from tvandvideodirect.com.

I assume that they will call out an engineer, and he gets to my place and says "its a known fault on the WLT58`s" and then refer me back to the company??

6. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,104
    I'd have to say after living with my 37" Tosh for a couple of weeks now.

Just how superb I think it now is.

Yes, my 1st reaction was to look CLOSE at the screen and moan about blacks etc. But I've grown to fully appreciate the benefits now.

The black levels in reality are pretty good, and it's something that I've just got used to. the colour, detail, clarity, cleaness of the picture just keeps amazing me.

what is very supprising now is I go into the other room now and look at our 28" Tosh widescreen CRT (only a few months old, albeit only £300) and realise just how BAD the picture is on the CRT against my LCD.

Sure, the blacks are a bit blacker, but the convergence is off, straight lines are bent, you can see scan lines and vertical lines also.
    The picture flickers as it's only 50hz
    And you still get interference from people jackets when they have that zigzag pattern on them.

Although, LCD's do have their cons, so do CRT's and once you are used to a dam good LCD and I'd definatly consider my 37" Tosh to be in that catagory, a CRT can look very poor in comparison.

Sitting the recommended distance away (3x screen size) some live BBC type studio broadcasts (via freeview) look almost hi-def they are so crisp and clear, and full of detail.

7. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    And when you start seeing HD on a LDC there will be no going back to CRT!

8. mhd1966

mhd1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lord?, what are the blacks like on the Sammy?

9. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Windows desktop looks far better than CRT too, lovely laptop clarity but whopping great 32" :thumbsup:
    CRT will be unreadable due to poor focus. Although CRT seems to hide poor sources ie Divx, and alaises lines so no AA is needed.

10. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,104
    Indeed, this is infact quite a "funny" problem

Apart from the black levels (which no-one can argue with)

The reason that CRT's look so good is (in part) cos they are so bad!

Everythings smoothed out and hidden, wheras LCD's just show it as it is, warts and all.

The truth is (I feel) LCD's are still a little ahead of their time.
    When Hi-Def is all over the place, then it just won't be an issue anymore as LCD's will look superb even close up.

11. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    My Samsung LCD has been great for PC-ing, but it's no match for my Panasonic 42" PV500 plasma for anything else ! :)

I like both in truth, but in general Plasma is still king in my view :smashin:

12. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I love my LCD........................Medion 32" (not as cheap and nasty as I expected).

I use it as a Monitor for my HTPC via DVI 1:1 pixel mapped..........beautiful.

I agree there are black (grey) issues, these can be accomodated by have lights on (I have also calibrated my screen using SpyderPro USB adapter) and the greyness is acceptable for me, outweighed by the native resolution benefits.

When I demo friends my set-up they are amazed by Hi-Def video, and widescreening gaming, and think I am bonkerly over-critical when I point out the "greyness" and purplizing of blacks when viewing from angles.

So for me, mainly using it with my PC, I think my LCD is great.

13. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Thing is with a good CRT set that's proper focus (ie a RP) it seems to have more detail than my LCD, ie you can see fur detail on Donkey (Shrek) but on the LCD generally blurred. Is this because of the scaling? Could I set 1:1 from a normal DVD player, and it should increase detail? (but smaller screen of course)

14. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ive had my Sharp p50e for a few months and while great I would be the first to admit that if there was a flat panel CRT avialable I would probably buy one.

For me LCD's are pretty good for high bitrate channels but as a fair few arent you can often sit there wishing you were watching a CRT which as many say hides the problems.

Its fine talking about HD but its going to be at least 10-15 years before HD is the norm.

Also the viewing angles can be a bit off compared to a CRT or Plasma and you cant get too close to the screen meaning you always have to watch from a minimum of 8ft.

If broadcasters were to up the bitrates on all channels then LCD's would be pretty great but I hope they improve over the next few years or it maybe Plasma, SED or whatever for my next purchase.

15. Alyson

Alyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    LCDs fix everything I hate about CRTs: the imprecise geometry, the low resolution; the horrible "glowy" pixels that give me a headache, and the flickery 50/60/100hz refresh rates that also give me a headache. They're also light and easy to move or rotate, gloriously bright and colourful, and when there's nothing moving on the screen the good ones look like a photograph.

Comparing our LG 26LX2R against my dad's 28-inch 100hz Loewe, I'd take the LG every time. Cheaper, too :)

I even like the lit blacks you get on LCDs, too, but then I might be a little crazy.

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Gonna have to recommend the Sony Bravia stuff, yet again. Very pricey, yes, but I can't use anything else now because of how low the Bravias let you drop the backlight level to. If you're disappointed with LCD blacks (or should I say, LCD greys), give this a try: http://www.lyris-lite.net/bravia_tips_backlight.html

I know you're not asking me specifically so my apologies for butting in. But my opinion is: average at best. There's no manual backlight adjust and the brightness sensor didn't work properly for me. (I only owned the LE32R41B for 2 days though).

17. chunderwunder

chunderwunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had a Samsung LE26M51B for a couple of months. Very happy with it.

People like to whinge and are much more likely to go to the effort of complaining than writing a positive post, I wonder if an un-biased poll would show interesting results.

I'm sure if I was a videiophile and knew what I was looking for I would probably find fault with my TV, but I'm not obsessed enough ;) It looks much better than my old CRT.

18. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Couldnt live with LCD myself. Not really the fault of the set, just the awful feeds from so many sky channels. Gave it a month then switched to plasma which does a much better job with SD material and much much happier.

I personally think theres much more life in SD broadcasting than Sky would have us believe - anyone who watched Plant Earth through Sky BBC will know what I mean. Sure, HD would have been even better, but I could quite happily watch SD all day long at those bitrates. 100x improvement over normal broadcasts. In fact it looked better than a lot of DVDs.

19. kjskot

kjskot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 32PF9967.

Utterly awesome.

Buy one, you won't be sorry. Black blacks, no dot crawl, stunning PQ at 1080i on a Sammy HD850.

Looks beautiful and the remote is so cool it's worth the money alone

Can't go wrong apart from the price. Still you gets what you pay for.

One issue. Can't use 720p on my Sammy HD850 DVD.

If I do, the picture starts halfway across the screen and disappears off the right edge. Have I set something up wrong? 1080i is fine, as is SD.

Anyone else using this combo?

I have an HD950 connected to my Sagem dlp downstairs and that works fine at 720P

20. add46.88

add46.88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Not long now untill my Toshiba 37 WLT58 has a new freind,the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player :D

whats great is i will still have a spair HDMI slot for sky HD

this is the year LCD will shine:clap:

21. Duradrum

Duradrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I moved from a Sony Wega 100hz to an LCD (Samsung LE37R41) for some HI-Def gaming for the Xbox 360. When I first got it I was amazed at the picture clarity, sharpness and geometry of the screen. The Xbox looked damn fine through it.

Over the weeks though, things have really started to annoy me. The loss in detail in the darker areas is frustrating. I could cope with a black that is not as black as a CRT, but the fact that so much detail is lost in the dark areas is decreasing my viewing pleasure. :( Then theres the 'smearing'. Most noticible on COD2 on my 360. This LCD applies a sharpening algorithm that seems to disappear when there is movement on screen causing this.

I paid £1350 for my LCD. It has now gone faulty. Thankfully, the retailer has offered a credit note. I'm going to be buying a Panasonic PX60 plasma. Its the best thing I've seen picture wise in my budget, no LCD comes close (in my opinion).

22. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I too find the blacks on my LCD(see sig), to be really deep black much better than on my old Philips 32" CRT.
    There is no way I would go back to a CRT TV now.

23. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    My company have just installed a Philips 32" CRT in our service customers "waiting area"....

It doesn't half take up a lot of room.

Everytime I walk by it, it reminds me why I love my Samsung LCD so much.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

24. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think people need a bit of reminder how bad CRT TVs could be before LCD/Plasma screens came along. The problems with CRTs were just as many althought of a different kind. For a start we have to get on with tiny CRT 21'' screens for many years before we get watchable size screens that fit normal living rooms. I believe most poeple just never noticed these problems before so they just fantasized about their old perfect TVs.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/wvarticles/hardware/200108_tubes.php

For me what is the main issue today is not due to the 'lack of LCD/plasma technology' but the poor quality of the Digital Video Broadcasting, television standards we have to contend with.