Displaying video on two devices?

dan1979

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is one thing I haven't got round to sorting on my set-up and it's pretty annoying having to keep changing things around.

I'm using an Nvidia Ti4200, I have two displays connected a TFT via DVI and a projector via VGA. I am using clone mode, using some old drivers as the new ones were causing problems with the DVI connection.

When I play a file in WMP, ZP or WinDVD it only displays the video on the primary screen. Occasionally for no reason it's displayed video on both screens at the same time some sort of glitch I imagine. PowerDVD however displays the video on both fine.

Having to change the primary and secondary devices around every time I want to use the projector is a nuisance, how can I get video displayed on both devices at the same time?

Generally if you're using Overlay then that displays on the primary device only, using VMR will display on both. Try selecting VMR in ZP and see if you get it on both displays.

Also, with an ATI card there is what's called 'Theatre Mode' which allows you some control over this this I think (never used it myself) and I think nVidia have the same thing which may also do what you need.

If you use the latest nVidia drivers you can set up desktop profiles with the primary and secondary displays in different orders. You can then switch profiles, and therefore the overlay surface, to a particular display by pressing a key combination.

If you don't want to do this you can have full screen video on the secondary display if you run in Clone mode - there's a drop down for this in the Driver settings. The only other way is to use VMR rather than Overlay as KraGorn suggested.

Cheers

Simon

With current and recent nVidia cards VMR is preferred to Overlay for a better PQ, with ATIs the converse is true, I don't know in the GF4 series is like that but it won't do any harm to try it and if the PQ is at least now worse then you have an easy solution.

With my MX440 Overlay is definately preferable, VMR looks a little more washed out and the card doesn't have the grunt to do post-processing, this also was the case with an FX5200.

Cheers

Simon

Oh well, maybe if there is a Theatre Mode (I'm only going on what I saw when poking around the 67.20 drivers some weeks ago when I was using a 6800GT) that may help, otherwise your idea of profiles seems to be favourite.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom