Displaying HD

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ColdKilla, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Simple question really - whats a good and cheap way of displaying downloaded HD content on my plasma (37" Panny PV500) ?? I have a wireless network 54g and a pc in my office upstairs and also two laptops (neither with DVI or HDMI) with wireless network cards.

I have discovered that streaming the movie wirelessly to a showcenter might not be satisfactory so how can I display the downloaded HD content on the plasma?

Can I use one of the laptops with the VGA out or is that not the right quality (Sorry if it's a dumb question) Or can I add something to one of the laptops to uprate the output.

CK

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    HD needs serious processing. HD files are big, hence you need a powerful computer and wireless might not be a great route. An ethernet link with an external box dedicated to processing might be an easier solution. Have a peap at the Roku 1000 or 1500. It will also play music files off you pc as well. This will work over a cheap cable with 'old' pcs but will give very decent performance.

Laptop output will work if the laptop has sufficent power (>3Ghz MINIMUM, more better) but there will still be issues getting the right sort of sound out easily.

3. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ok sound aside laptop vga output can be hooked up to plasma?

CK

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    yup but needs to be pokey to play HD, very pokey