1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displaying Chinese in Nw-hd5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by TheNewbs123, Jul 16, 2005.

1. TheNewbs123

TheNewbs123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know how to do this on a english version of windows xp???
    and btw i have a black one and it doesnt have cracks on it with 3 weeks of pretty heavy use

2. linking

linking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you mean displaying chinese in english winxp or displaying chinese in english versio of HD5? i think HD5 has built-in chinese character support. if you want support for chinese character in winxp, you can juz add chinese character in the non-unicode support tab of language setting in xp.

3. xfuzion

xfuzion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wat about getting chinese to show up in sonicstage and a HD3? after importing Cd's and getting the chinese information from CDDB, the chinese isn't present in sonicstage, its replaced with question marks. Does this mean that the chinese won't be shown on the HD3?

4. TheNewbs123

TheNewbs123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    displaying chinese on my nwhd5 idk how to make it work
    help!!

5. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For both HD3 and HD5, if you purchased your player from US, EU or Japan, it will not display Chinese characters.
    You can, however, display Kanji.

6. hd5_host

hd5_host

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all other models only partially support chinese character. I check service manual carefully, even if you set your HD5 to Chinese model in Service mode, oit still cannot display Chinese characters correctly.

The unicode support is not done at Sonic stage level (that is, convert various languages to unicode when uploading music ), it is done at hardware ROM level, that is really stupid design, SONY made so much effort to prevent copying music, the most recent one is that you have to de-authorize one PC before connect HD5 to another one, but it just ignores what the users need: a better UI, and a better language support.

Plus, thinking about the cheap design of HD5, I suggest you return it to store and buy another brand mp3 player.

7. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, that's what the Sony customer support explained.
    Anyway, how did you get a hold of the HD5 service manual?
    It would be nice if I can get a hold of it too.

8. hd5_host

hd5_host

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. hd5_host

hd5_host

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, I got it.
    But it says it's not available for now.
    Anyway, do you know a way to enable Korean/Chinese display from the service menu?
    I doubt it will work, but I just wanna give it a try.

Thanks.

11. hd5_host

hd5_host

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will never work unless you replace the chip.

12. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    O...too bad! Where can I get the Hong Kong Version?

13. hd5_host

hd5_host

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try online store ...

If you open a CN model and a US model side by side, you will see the ATRAC chip (or say, MPU) is different. Rumor said the Chinese language display option is due to the different model of remote control, but I compared chip by chip, no difference was found, at least for Taiwan model comparing to the US model, the only difference is ATRAC chip. This applies to all MD and HD.

14. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about this situation:
    If you get a player configured in another language that you can't understand, how do you navigate to the language selection area if you can't read the language.
    :confused:

15. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure hos this info can be validated, but I contacted Sony US technical support (via live chat available on their website).
    They said the problem lies with the firmware, and as far as displaying foreign language is concerned, it can be through firmware update.
    They said they are planning to release a firmware to enable this multi font support, but they could not confirm the certainty of the firmware release.

16. Lotus_elise

Lotus_elise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try warehouse123.com! They can help you special order the NW-HD5 HK version.