1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display Technology Shootout

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mdekkers, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope it is not a dupe, but ExtremeTech has been running a series comparing all relevant display technologies, including DLP (they use the RD50 as benchmark). Very, very informative....

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1734427,00.asp

for those who can't be bothered reading the whole thing, the conclusion is here:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1748599,00.asp

and for those who can't be bothered to click, the salient bit reads:

"If you can live with a bulky unit and a 40 inch or smaller screen size then the CRT is the clear image quality winner. For thin direct-view displays the plasma is currently better for video but the LCD is better for (non-gaming) computer applications. (For computer gaming stick with a CRT.) For large screen image quality the DLP currently produces the best overall image quality, however, there are new challengers in JVC's HD-ILA and Sony's SXRD (see below). LCDs are rapidly approaching a 60-inch screen size in a major challenge to plasma technology. Rear projection units are also trying to become almost as thin as the direct-view LCD and plasma units so that they too can be placed almost anywhere, including a wall (a major selling point)."

Martijn

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read through, i'd seen it before about a month ago but i understood it a lot more on the second reading.
    The DLP they use in the test is the US version of the Optoma RD50 with the HD2 chip.
    The Optoma on sale in the UK has the HD2+ chip .

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:

4. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Steve

you missed out the 2 on your last sentence, HD2+.

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Van i stund coorected mu keyvoard playong op.
    I have never used component or progressive scan on anything, does that mean the DVD player is upscaling the picture to 1280 x 720.I read somewhere that if your DVD scales to anything other than 1280 x 720 the RD50 then has to do a second up or downscale which gives a worse picture than letting the RD50 do it all by itself.
    The RD50 is very good at upscaling pictures have u done a comparision? :rolleyes:

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a snippet i ripped from
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1734427,00.asp
    about how they encode movies from 24 frames a second in the cinema to 60 frames a second ( Region One NTSC) & to 50 frames a second (Region Two PAL) it hopefully will make it clearer to some why the RD50 gets R1 judder.

7. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think it is the color wheel rotation which is synced to the used standard (pal, ntsc)
    for example:
    6000 cicles/min = 100 cicles/sec => this display would be optimized for pal 100/2=50
    for NTSC rearprojector it would be 7200 cicles/min that would be 120/sec => optimzed for NTSC (120/2= 60)
    but 100/ 60 =1,66667 so it would be out of sync

so if the signal is not getting inside the input 100% in sync you get the judder, maybe, but maybe i`m wrong (i am not an engineer, and maybe the color wheel can be speed up and down, then put my comment to waste)

Okay there are many displays that do both PAL and NTSC, but I m sure that you get best result only at one standard, that one the display was intend to made for.

I think displays that do both standard just convert one standard to the other with a kind of algorithn, where you loose quality......
    And I think the Optoma has a chip that is best for PAL, but not very good in converting NTSC to PAL standard.
    But maybe it is the best for PAL.
    I hope you get what I meant to say.
    For example there are still some high end players, that do not play mp3 from a cd, but will do best at playing normal audio-cd

"So Optoma said they wanted to get best result with PAL for consumers......"

just one idea............

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifiboom
    i'm preety sure it's nothing to do with the color wheel as each rotation displays all the colours also i have not seen it mentioned anywhere.
    I think it was an omission they simply forgot to program the correct 3:2 pulldown into the RD50/65 & when they say its been optimised for Pal it was to stop themselves looking stupid.
    It doesn't worry me anyway i'm getting such good results with a PC that even when better set's come along i'll wait untill they have a 3D hologram set.
    I'm getting my ariel installed Friday for the freeview digital so i'll be trying out my 460GB hardrive recorder :clap:

9. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Sagem is said to look better with NTSC material, and not that good with PAL.

That would support my theorie..

but maybe I am completely wrong ........... then all I said before would be :spam:

hahahaha :D