display size changes..

bluesilver

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I'm going to get a fixed screen soon and I just remembered something I think is a bit odd..
I have a panasonic pj - ae700 - and I've noticed that sometimes the size of image changes, most notably when you have a dvd and you watch the trailers and it goes to the main film. I've noticed because I have a small area at the moment to beam the image onto and sometimes the imagine fills the size and sometimes is goes over the edges!

So, if I get a screen, what is the best thing to go for to stop this happening? I want just under a 2m width from about 10ft away and I don't want to have gaps top and bottom when I watch different things on the same dvd!

does anyone else have this problem??

or am I seeing things and mad?

cheers

Neil

Does the pj report a different resolution when this happens? I have noticed that some trailers are 480, then the main feature is 576. My HD72i shows that it has detected a different resolution, but the picture size does not alter. Maybe your pj is upscaling 480 and 576 slightly differently.

You do tend to notice this more with PJs because often they don't overscan to take out such minor discrepancies in Aspect Ratio. Also, it's often more noticable with HDMI/DVI whereas with component overscan is employed.

From the purist standpoint a 1.85:1 DVD should have narrow gaps top/bottom on a 16:9 screen.

I sometimes resort to adjusting the zoom and/or optical lens shift to line up the pic perfectly though I just accept the hopping about with trailers etc.

Black borders are essential to "nip off" unwanted bits.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom