Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Display problems with 32" Videoseven and HTPC computer

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by dobbin, Jun 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi
    After all the comments on the forum I decided to buy the 32"Video7 from Komplett.co.uk who had it on sale for a very reasonable £722.
    I am building an HTPC so I saw this as an excellent addition to my setup.
    I attached my PC via the DVI cable and was very disappointed to find quite a few random blocks/dots on the screen. I thought they might be dead pixels but there seemed to be far too many of them.
    The screen colour also seemed wrong for Windows MCE.
    The dots on the screen seemed to move depending on which screen was being displayed. So I presume that they cannot be dead pixels.
    I then attached my Flat panel 15" LCD monitor on the VGA socket on the graphics card (it has DVI and Dsub VGA) simultaneously.
    The picture on the flat panel was perfect with colour excellent and no dots to be seen.
    I have attached some photos. The ones preceeded by Mon are the photos of the 15" plat screen and all the others are the Videoseven 32" LTV32D LCD-TV.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      Size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • Mon4.jpg
      Mon4.jpg
      Size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      Size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
    • Mon5.jpg
      Mon5.jpg
      Size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      Size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      Size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      Size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
  2. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry.
    I didn't realise that the photos wouldn't have their file names.
    The 2 monitor photos are the top line 2nd and 4th from left.
    Thanks
    Dobbin

3. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is the gfx card in your HTPC set at the correct resolution ?? Suggest you boot HTPC in to SAFE mode to see if you get a clear picture then go and update your graphics driver, choosing the correct resolution for your TV. If that doesn't work, download Powerstrip and force a particular resolution.

Good luck :)

4. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply.
    However I don't think that this is the problem.
    I have been 'playing' a bit more using my laptop which is a big Dell 17" Widescreen with output via SVideo, D-sub VGA and DVI.
    The SVideo worked perfectly but the picture was a little bit blurred.
    I then plugged in via the DVI and the picture was very similar to the results I had above except evern worse!
    I then plugged in via the Dsub VGA monitor and the picture was absolutely clear as a bell! Perfect and extremely sharp.
    I then plugged the cable into my HTPC via the Dsub VGA socket and I got the message on the Videoseven saying "NO SIGNAL".
    I then rebooted the HTPC and the picture came up straight away and again was very clear. The resulting display was again brilliant with no dead pixels that I could see. Stunning.

SO what is the problem with DVI? Surely it should be better than the Dsub VGA? It should at least work properly?
    Is there something I am missing here that makes the DVI settings very different from the VGA?

At least with trying two devices I know that the problem isn't with either of my computers grahics cards. Could it be this non HDCP compliance of the DVI input that is causing the problem?

Dobbin

5. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No, it won't be that. The output from your PC isn't HDCP protected.

Have you got a duff cable? I mean, you're not talking about slight interference here, the colours are all over the place!... Try a different cable. If it still doesn't work, I would send it back for a replacement.

6. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Matt

Great thinking.
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to see!
    Of course that may be the problem.
    I will try that and let youy know.

Dobbin.
    Whatever happens the VGA Dsub input is superb.

7. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just got a new DVI cable and the problem is still the same when I use the DVI connection.
    I have tested it using the DVI output from my PC and also from my Laptop.
    Must be something wrong with the TV?
    I will have to contact the company I bought it from (Pixmania) and the manufacturers (Video7).
    Anyone any other ideas?

8. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dobbin,

I dont use my LTV32D for PC use but seem to remember reading in the large thread that was running on this set that lots of people do via DVI with superb results so maybe sending one or two of them a PM might come up with some ideas :confused:

Hope you get it sorted.

9. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually bought it from Komplett.
    Very good response from Komplett and they were very helpful.
    Contact Video7 and they gave me a telephone number to call (Please call Nesh-IT
    under following number: 0800-3580-793.)
    I phoned and spoke to a foreign person (German I think?). I gave her all the details and explained all the tests that I had carried out. SHe then asked me what the date of purchase was. She then said that they would get someone to pick the TV up. They would then repair the TV and return it when the repair had been done!
    I explained that the TV had been defective from the day it arrived and that I wanted a replacement NOT a repair. SHe said that because I had not reported the TV faulty within 10 days then I didn't qualify for a replacement.
    I disputed that but she was very abrupt and unyielding. "That is the rule" she said (I was almost expecting her to say that she was just following orders!). I told her that I was not prepared to accept that and I would take the matter up with the supplier (Komplett).
    I told Komplett what had happened and they were very good and they asked me to return the TV and offered to replace the TV if they found it faulty (and also refund my return postage).
    I applied for a RMA number and I will be making arrangements to return it very soon.

10. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Okay. The response from Komplett was
    "Videoseven 32" LCD-TV LTV32D Wide from RMA 700135296 is tested ok. No problems with the picture when using DVI. Tested on 6 different computers and with 2 different DVI cables. No errors found."

Funny but I sort of had a feeling that this would happen. It is one of the reasons why I normally do not buy expensive electrical goods via the web!
    The company say that I will have to contact the manufacturer myself and have already posted the TV back to me!

"Dear Sir,
    You will need to persevere with the manufacturer, as our engineers have confirmed that the monitor is not faulty."
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but we do not have any further suggestions.

"Dear Sir,
    The manufacturer will give us very little details as you are the one with the monitor in your posession. You should contact them and tealk through the problems you are having.
    We have tested the item as ok, so we are out of suggestions, I'm afraid."

Dear sir,
    Are you sure all settings on your graphics card are correct. Have you tries using a normal vga cable? Please advice
    and when you connect your monitor to the vga-dvi adaptor connected to the dvi port? I actually think it's a software setting in the graphicscard driver that's causing the problem, or maybe a faulty graphics card.

I wonder if they tested the DVI ports (they used 6 computers - did they all have DVI ports?). I know the Dsub VGA was working perfectly.

So where do I go from here?
    I tested the TV with 2 different DVI cables and a PC and a laptop with DVI sockets. The results were all the same (see photos above). Has anyone any ideas what it could be? OR what I should do next?

Help...........