Display problem with new monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by SUb97, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SUb97

SUb97
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have bought a new monitor (20inch widescreen http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...374587&tduid=b11e5a7a05bb2daca6279dbeaa019e19) to go with a new base unit I purchased from Dell (a Vostro 200 with a Video Card
    Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100). The monitor came with no drivers, as it is supposed to be picked up fine by Vista.

I plugged everything in fine, and booted Vista. It picked up the new monitor and reset the resolution etc to best fit the monitor (previous monitor was a 19 inch CRT).

However, I am getting about 2 pixels worth of white flicker at the very top of the screen, and it is coming about half way across the top of the screen

It's not the monitor, as the flicker isn't there without being in Vista. And it's only there when I have the resolution set at 1680 x 1050 (the res Vista set it to). If I lower the resolution (which doesn't look right) then it goes away completely.

I have checked that I have the latest drivers for my graphics cards from Dell and I have the latest driver for a generic PnP monitor, which is what Vista has set it to.

If it helps, I also can't set my refresh rate to greater than 60 hz at the moment. Could that be causing it? Or is it simply that the on board graphics card that came with my system is not capable of displaying at a resolution of 1680 X 1050 and can't go any higher with the resolution?

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be please?

Thanks for any help

Steve

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    There is no requirement for drivers and your new monitor.
    If you go into your BIOS on boot up you will find a setting that allocates some of your system memory to the onboard graphics and this could be set far too low, suggest it is set to 256 Mb, often a default value of 64 Mb is all that is allocated, do not forget to save settings on exit.
    But the best thing to do is buy a quality graphics card for your PC and stop the onboard graphics eating into your resources.

3. SUb97

SUb97
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy.

I don't do any gaming, so do you have any recommendations for a cheapish but decent enough graphics card please?

Never bought one before, so not sure what I need..