Display Problem - multiple components

T

TomT

Hello.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this to, since the problem involves a number of components.

Recently I have noticed a semi-transparent horizontal line scrolling from the bottom of my display to the top, then repeating. It's very light, and does not show up against dark backgrounds.

Here are the components involved and set up: Arcam DV27 DVD player connected to Pioneer VSX-49TX receiver via progressive component from the Arcam, and also non-progressive connection, (both to the Pioneer).

I use the Pioneer for video switching, and it is connected via component to a Sanyo PLV60HT projector.

The reason I have two connections from the Arcam is some of my DVD's are PAL, and my model DVD player does not support PAL progressive, so in order to get the DVD to frame properly, I used the non-progressive output from the Pioneer.

The Arcam is set to Auto for both region and video (switches between NTSC and PAL), the Sanyo is also set to auto.

For quite some time this set up has worked perfectly, but as mentioned above, I am now getting this scrolling horizontal line (sometimes more than 1), which is very distracting.

One thing I have noticed is that when playing PAL DVD's, either via the progressive or non-progressive output from the Pioneer, the line(s) are not present.

I'm not sure about the best way to troubleshoot this, since I don't have another display device to test on (i.e. no PAL TV). I am hoping that someone might be able to diagnose the problem from the symptoms.

With my limited knowledge, I am not sure if the problem is in the DVD player, video switching by the Pioneer, or, the projector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Tom

Tom,

With this type of problem I find it best to take items out of the chain and see if the fault disappears. In other words connect the DVD players direct to the projector and see if the fault goes.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I finally found the problem. I had noticed around the same time this started happening, a low frequency hum coming out of my speakers.

I finally tracked that down to the cable attached to my TV. I called the cable company, and a tech came out and determined the cable was not grounded properly. He fixed that, and all the problems were cleared up. One other symptom was sometimes the picture would roll vertically.

He said the lines on the display were (as I recall) a 60 cycle hum, which usually means a bad ground.

I am so grateful to this guy, I could have spent untold hours trying to figure this out.....

Thanks again for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom