1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display on TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DazJWood, Aug 1, 2002.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a stupid question that has been answered numerous times but my experience with TV out on graphics cards in the past meant that everytime you rebooted they automatically reset back to outputting from the monitor. Meaning that you have to have a monitor connected to the pc to be able to enable the tv out function.

Is this still true?

Is there a way round it?

What graphic cards will boot up and output straight to tv?

Cheers all,

Daz

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    My ancient (by PC standards) Matrox Rainbow Runner Studio card retains its setting on reboot/power down.

3. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have an Elsa Gladiac 511 PCI Card (GeForce2 MX Based).

When initially purchased it always reverted to monitor output, after a flash BIOS update to the card it appears to auto-detect. Downstairs the PC is connected to the TV via an S-Video Scart and it always boots up in TV mode, if I take the PC upstairs and connect it to a monitor then it boots up in monitor mode. It either detects connections automatically or its got an altimeter.

If the card does always revert to monitor output and you can't fix it any other way then TVTool (http://www.tvtool.de) has a commandline switch /tv which will switch modes. Just stick it in your startup group.

4. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great guys thanks

Am thinking of setting up a pc downstairs to run divx films and for mp3 storage and playback.

I have a GeForce Mx400 I think in one of my machines with TV out. This sounds the best option. Will look into it soon

Thanks for the help

Daz