1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display is stretched slightly

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Darkened, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Darkened

Darkened

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to AVforums. My compliments on the site and all the help.

I am stuck with a problem with my setup; recently I plugged my PC via DVI-HDMI cable to my Samsung HL-P5063W, the picture is quite clear but the edges are slightly cutoff all the way around the display.

My resolution is set to 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz. I have tried lowering the resolution to 1024 x 768 with the same problem. I have tried 720i, 1080i with the same results.

The funny thing is that when I plugged the DVI cable into the TV and boot with my CRT 19" monitor at the same time, the start screen during memory count is cutoff before I even get into Windows.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The resolution of the TV is 1280 x 720, so using this would be preferential. Being a HDMI socket the TV may not be prepared for PC type signals as much as a DVI socket would, 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz is the most likely to produce a good result. Download "powerstrip" if you need to add custom resolutions to your PC

3. Darkened

Darkened

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam.

I have been using Powerstrip, currently running at 1280 x 720(p) @ 60hz. However, I believe the term for the problem I am experiencing is overscan (where the screen is cutoff all the way around, maybe 1-2%).

I'm going to have to play around with the settings in Powerstrip and hopefully come up with a suitable resolution that does not overscan.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Ah see what you mean. Ideally you want to adjust overscan in the telly as it is the telly that is overscanning the signal. If the adjustment is not available as an option you may be able to get at it throught he engineers menu (if there is one and if you can find the code for it!). However you may be able to compensate by keeping the res at 720p but using the DVD software to shrink the image a little within the window. Not sure what (if any) sotware players do this but am pretty sure that changing the resolution won't be much help