1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display HTPC on Widescreen regular TV screen

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by The Moose, Mar 5, 2003.

1. The Moose

The Moose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie I've done a lot of research and have all the components chosen apart from the Video card which I am totally confused about.

I want to be able to run the HTPC through an RGB Scart to a Panasoninc 36" Widesceen TV (a regular TV not a plasma or projector).

I want to be able to use it as a PC to view photos and home video and surf the net on the TV as well as watch DVDs.

The Radeon 9500 card seems to be recommended but would it allow me to do the above?

Cheers, I'd really appreciate the help.

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it would allow you to do that. You would have to get a S-Video or Composite to scart cable. :smashin:

Also I would not reccomend it for web browsing as things like that look pap on the TV.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yes basically you are limiting yourself to 640x480 resolution as this is all the tv can handle.

This doesn't really give much room for most websites to fit in.
    In fact most dialogue boxes for software are designed for 800x600 and you have to slide them around to get to the ok buttons!
    It doesn't work too well.

Again - it's not the video card that's the problem -- it's the tv.
    The Radeon will give all the detail that's on a DVD and wil be good for games but you won't be using it for the same benefits that most of us are using it for - ie scaling.

As for the quality of one cards s-video output over another I don't know.

Hope that helps
    Alex

4. mikthe20

mikthe20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm using a Radeon 9100 on a 28" WS Panasonic. The Radeons only have S-video or composite out I think (like all PC cards?) and so the picture is not as good as RGB. Even so, the picture's great with DVDs and games. It's not so good with web browsing and text, which is typical really. However, I find web browsing acceptable with the text sizes in XP and in Explorer maxed out. Also, the card is set to output a resolution of something like 768x480 for widescreen, which is much better than the standard 640x480, and keeps the aspect ratio vaguely correct.

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used a geforce2 gts, and a radeon 7500 for tv output and I've got to be honest and say that a cheap (tosh sd220-e) dvd player blew the pc out of the water for picture quality.

If your really set on using the tv for the video/picture/browsing stuff then go for it, just don't expect the best picture...

btw, tvtool improved and helped a fair bit.

If your serious about this, maybe you should look into a plasma display...

btw, I'm not knocking hcpc's - Its just that TV's ain't designed for pc's.

Good luck

Rob