1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

display connections

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by azs, Jul 6, 2004.

1. azs

azs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some help if anyone can ?

Just decorating and planning to mount plasma/lcd on wall when all complete. have no idea what model will be bought yet, probably a display only.
    So, I'm going to chase out the wall to allow for some conduit but was really only planning on something like 1.5 cm x 3cm, then thought that a scart or 21pin plug is not going to go down there.

Is it possible to connect plasmas/lcds using component cables, and if so can I therefore just run the cables and solder on the BNCs or RCA connectors at a later date.

If so, what sort of cable do I need to buy ?

I think that's all ! cheers for any help anyone can give

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Possible if the display does have such connections. Some do, some don't - depending on make and model.

Also note that some plasmas come with a tuner or video-switching box and may need to connect via a proprietary system cable.
    As well latest LCDs have DVI connection, so you can really only answer the question once you are clear on your source and display (i.e. what connectivity do they offer).

(Coaxial) Video-cable or antenna/SAT cable with 75 Ohm impedance would be the right choice for a Component (YUV) connection.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    azs

And don't forgot you'll need a power cable to too!!

If possible give it its own conduit or use a two part conduit.

Keep in mind DVI hoods are approx 40mm x 20mm - and none to easy to pull though a 'full' conduit.

If your positive about going for a 'Display' model I'd pre install a DVI-D cable (you can add adapters at either end to convert it to HDMI if required) plus a couple of five core video Multicore's (10mm each).

If your handy with a soldering iron or crimp tool you can terminate the Multicore as required with RCA or BNC for RGBHV, YUV, S-Video or Composite (if you don't fancy soldering S-Video you can terminate two lines of the Multicore in BNC's and then add a pre made S-Video to 2BNC adapter).

This all assumes no Sound on the display, no built in RF Tuner and no SCART - if you did need SCART and it was for RGB you could use four cores of one of the Multicore's; assuming there's any left after you've connected everything else up!!!

You may want/need to control the display via RS232 so add a screened control cable if required - these are very thin so wont take up much additional space.

Best regards

Joe

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Given Joe's excellent advise I would install one or two additional (empty) conduits for future use.
    Put a wire in it so that you can later pull the cables through more easily.

The same (putting in a "pulling-wire") should be done for the inital installation, in particular if there are many bends in the conduit.