1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display colour profile settings?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by fraggle, Jun 6, 2005.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

Up to now I've normally not bothered doing anything with the colour profile settings on the screen, printer or anything.

The camera is set up to use sRGB colour space (I know it should be Adobe RGB, I'll change it when I use it next, honest! :) )

The monitor is a Sony M 520 22" CRT, set to "professional" mode.

I tried loading a colour profile for the monitor but it just whacked up the brightness an awful lot, making everything washed out. I tried setting up PSP colour profiles to use the monitors and printers colour spaces, did a print out but the on screen image and monitor image are way out, the on screen image is far too bright and washed out.

Its 100% better if I don't have any profiles loaded anywhere...? :confused:

The colour is slightly out (when nothings loaded anywhere) and thats all I want to correct really.

Does anyone have a URL to a web page somewhere taking me through the steps to do this properly, and what I have to set and where?

Things I can change...

1. The monitor has its own settings in its OSD menu where I can set sRBG or normal or (other things)
    2. The PC has its display settings where I can set a colour profile
    3. PSP7 has its own settings where I can set <nothing> or the monitors profile, and a printer profile, and a proofing profiles...
    4. The monitor also has a calibrate function in its OSD but I've never bothered reading what this actually does...

Doh! :)

2. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have been having problems too, getting my prints to look like they do on the monitor, I have tried a few calibration utilities as posted in some past threads..I even have adobe rgb color space selected for my Epson 890 printer and in my d70 menu and in adobe photoshop7 colour preferences.(adobe rgb 1998 that is).

In order to get a print to look the same on the monitor and on paper, I have to drop the brightness right down in the monitor menu, then I can hardly see anything else on the pc because its so dark.

maybe my old crt viewsonic monitor is jiggered.
    ..I am racking my brains....I am using compatible cartridges..could this be part of the problem.

3. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for your generosity..have tried the epaperpress one already and one posted up by seany when talking about his on loan sony lcd monitor.
    no change..still cannot match monitor and print output..and believe me Ive googled.

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've changed monitors now and bought myself a Spyder 2 calibration doobry.

Still not perfect, still annoyingly out. Followed the instructions to the letter.

The Spyder likes telling me that my new LCD monitor (Dell 24") is actually a CRT monitor... stupid thing.

What I've found works best is to set the monitor to the colour temp you want, and then tell the Spyder to use that setting and not to bother trying to set the colour temp to 6500K or whatever.

Still, damn annoying it doesn't work properly after paying > £100 for it :(

6. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is one of those areas where it's really hard to help as I can't see what you see.

You'll neve get a perfect match because you have two completely different colour spaces, the screen is additive and the printer is subtractive. There is some overlap (gamut) but there are colours you just don't translate from one to the other (out of gamut). Printing is again complicated by the fact that the same inks appear with different contrast and saturation on different paper due to how much the ink spreads (dot gain).

Some things to check are your printer settings, my Epson has an option to use ICM profiles which is not on by default - yours could be bypassing colour management.

Check your monitor has the correct profile (display properties, settings, advanced, color management).

Check the colour management settings in your software. I also never bothered with any gamma correction software and used my graphics card settings to adjust the white point, black point and gamma (this works with any ATI card and I think Nvidia drivers have similar options).

Make sure if you are using gamma correction software that you only use one, if you have Photoshop you'll have Adobe Gamma but if you have a Spyder you may have one that comes with that. You'll end up with problems if more than one is running.

7. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I use a Spyder for calibrating and find it brilliant. If your not going to use the correct colour temp then there's no point in using the Spyder. What you have to remember is the Spyder is for calibrating your monitor only, it has no bearing on how your printer behaves. In order for your printer to match your monitor you'll need custom profiles for each type of paper you use. The cheapest way to do this IMO is to buy your paper from Fotospeed they will give you free custom profiles for each type of paper you buy. You can find a phone number for Fotospeed on their website www.fotospeed.com ask for Ray. You'll have to print out some colour charts and sent them back to Ray, he will then sent you your profiles by email.