display calibration.co.uk in the midlands has any 1 used them or reviews on them??

Atari2600

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys

just found that we in leicester have a thx calibrator :thumbsup: nown as display calibration.co.uk,

THX TV & Projector Calibration

i would like to know has any one used them or are there any reviews/recommendations about them pls ?

i would like to get my set calibrated but i want to make sure my £300 ish is spent well and i have got the right people in to do the job!

i am a noob! is there an advantage wether i get someone that is ISF certifield or THX certified? what do i need to look out for when im looking for a company/person to calibrate my tv.

hope u guys can help

thanks

I haven't heard of the company you linked to before.
Send them an email and ask how many years' experience they have and how many displays similar to your own they have encountered.

Neither the THX nor ISF certificates count as much as real world calibration experience.
Most of the professional British calibrators who frequent these forums either offer services throughout large areas of the UK or all of it and beyond.

I haven't heard of the company you linked to before.
Send them an email and ask how many years' experience they have and how many displays similar to your own they have encountered.

Neither the THX nor ISF certificates count as much as real world calibration experience.
Most of the professional British calibrators who frequent these forums either offer services throughout large areas of the UK or all of it and beyond.

this company is listed on avforums website (the map) where it shows all the calibrators listed.

heres it is: http://www.avforums.com/forums/room...ok-here-find-custom-installer-calibrator.html

I can not recommend this service highly enough. I recently contacted Jules to arrange for a calibration for my JVC 750HD projector. I had read mixed reviews about people using calibration services but, having taken the time to verify that was indeed a full THX calibration. I decided to go ahead.

What a difference! The results are remarkable. I can only say it's a night and day transformation.

I thought my picture was good until seeing these results, the level of detail is uncanny. The black levels are now excellent. It's like getting an upgrade to a new projector.

Taking into account that I has spent several hours initially setting up my projector when I purchased it. I thought I had the picture looking good but, it goes to show what a difference a professional calibration service using the right tools can make.

I would recommend this service offered by Jules. He's a great guy, who really knows what he's talking about.

I can not recommend this service highly enough. I recently contacted Jules to arrange for a calibration for my JVC 750HD projector. I had read mixed reviews about people using calibration services but, having taken the time to verify that was indeed a full THX calibration. I decided to go ahead.

What a difference! The results are remarkable. I can only say it's a night and day transformation.

I thought my picture was good until seeing these results, the level of detail is uncanny. The black levels are now excellent. It's like getting an upgrade to a new projector.

Taking into account that I has spent several hours initially setting up my projector when I purchased it. I thought I had the picture looking good but, it goes to show what a difference a professional calibration service using the right tools can make.

I would recommend this service offered by Jules. He's a great guy, who really knows what he's talking about.

who is jules?? does he work for this company that i am looking into?

how long ago did u get your calibration done by him,

this is the equipment they use: Our TV Calibration and Projector Calibration Equipment

is it any good or is it dated equipment they are using??

like i said i am a total noob! so dont really know what equipment is good or bad ect ect....

i just want to make sure i am paying £300 ish to the right person and in return i will get a proper calibrated picture and not half a job or a cow boy job!!

so thats why i am not jumping straight in £300 is a lot of money so i want to make sure i get the right person.

this is the equipment they use: Our TV Calibration and Projector Calibration Equipment

is it any good or is it dated equipment they are using??

like i said i am a total noob! so dont really know what equipment is good or bad ect ect....

i just want to make sure i am paying £300 ish to the right person and in return i will get a proper calibrated picture and not half a job or a cow boy job!!

so thats why i am not jumping straight in £300 is a lot of money so i want to make sure i get the right person.
Contact the calibrator you are talking about and ask him if he has any experience with your TV.

Some displays are very easy to get right quickly. Others like the Panasonic VT30 are tricky and require plenty of patience or experience...

Hi, Jules is the owner of this company. I had checked his company out before proceeding with my calibration. He has completed the THX courses, so is certified. If you live in Leicester and want to have a look at the results on my projector let me know. I found Jules to be really helpful, I have no hesitation in recommending him.

Hi, Jules is the owner of this company. I had checked his company out before proceeding with my calibration. He has completed the THX courses, so is certified. If you live in Leicester and want to have a look at the results on my projector let me know. I found Jules to be really helpful, I have no hesitation in recommending him.

yes i do live in leicester and my tv is a panasonic 50vt20

thanks for the invite but to be perfectly honest its pointless me checking it out as you have a projector so the picture quality and screen size will not really give me a true indication of how a plasma (panasonic) should really look like when calibrated.

do they do a full calibration or just a basic one? i mean, grey scale, white, black ballance, colour managementt, sharpness the lot.

Contact the calibrator you are talking about and ask him if he has any experience with your TV.

Some displays are very easy to get right quickly. Others like the Panasonic VT30 are tricky and require plenty of patience or experience...

i might do that actually, just want to get public opinion on them first , as you know how it is with company, they like to brag about them self highly, " we are the best, we do everything, we have latest equipment, we have x amount of experiance ect ect" ive heard it all before not for calibrating but the sales speel.

so thats why i didnt really want to email them and ask cus i know what the answer might prob be , "yes ive calibrated many panasonic" ect ect.

but will see

Hi, he offers a full service, I would give him a call to discuss. Jules is very approachable, so I am sure he can offer some advice to you.

Hi, he offers a full service, I would give him a call to discuss. Jules is very approachable, so I am sure he can offer some advice to you.

I will do.

you don't happen to work for them or related to him in any way ?? :D cus its only you thats highly recommending them and no other's posting anything about them!

right guys ive done some searching on them, so i would like all u experiance members opinions please, thats does also include other calibrators the likes of gordan and ian pls if you dont mind can you help.

been on THX website under THX certified installer they come up.

persons name Dr Julian Scott, his address comes up as a residential address so looks like he doesnt own a shop as such, probebly just went on a course and offering his service now?? , Associate with THX since: 2011, and has got video calibration 1 and video calibration 2 certifications.

so looks like hes a newy but this dosent bother me as long as he knows what hes doing, (every 1 has to start some where)
but i have seen some people that have been assoicated since 2009 but they have got home theatre 1 certification??

now what is the diffrence between video 1 and 2 calibration certification and home theatre calibration certification? can some 1 answer this for me please?? is it the same but now called video 1 and 2 certification? or is it completley diffrent?

thanks

I can understand why some people can be cynical about a calibration service. My only reason for sharing my views is to let you know there are quality service providers out there. I regard Jules as one of those, having made a dramatic difference to my picture. I think that deserves praise. I have no affiliation or business connection with Julian or his company. I hope that clarifies things for you.

right guys ive done some searching on them, so i would like all u experiance members opinions please, thats does also include other calibrators the likes of gordan and ian pls if you dont mind can you help.

been on THX website under THX certified installer they come up.

persons name Dr Julian Scott, his address comes up as a residential address so looks like he doesnt own a shop as such, probebly just went on a course and offering his service now?? , Associate with THX since: 2011, and has got video calibration 1 and video calibration 2 certifications.

so looks like hes a newy but this dosent bother me as long as he knows what hes doing, (every 1 has to start some where)
but i have seen some people that have been assoicated since 2009 but they have got home theatre 1 certification??

now what is the diffrence between video 1 and 2 calibration certification and home theatre calibration certification? can some 1 answer this for me please?? is it the same but now called video 1 and 2 certification? or is it completley diffrent?

thanks

Having spoke to Julian a few times, I think you can be sure that he will not stop until is happy with a calibration.:smashin:

The home theatre certification is more around the whole home theatre i.e. sound, equipment etc, the calibration certification is purely based around video calibration, so they are totally different. The reason that you will find most of the UK candidates have a registration date of 2011 is that it is the first time the THX display calibrations course came to UK shores. Julian will have had to provide 10 calibration reports to THX to get his certification, and I do know that he is actively calibrating on a regular basis.

Whilst the course date is 2011, I also do know that Julian was calibrating prior to that.

Just give him a call, what is the worse that can happen?

well i have emailed him, just waiting for his response.

ive told him basically what i want and how my stuff is al set up.

thanks guys your explanations have been v helpfull

thanks

How did it go jav123?

I am also interested in having my panasonic vt20 calibrated and i will almost certainly proceed as soon as dr scott is able to get to me.

He has answer all emails in a most helpful and very clear fashion.

I will post my observations once the work is done.

How did it go jav123?

I am also interested in having my panasonic vt20 calibrated and i will almost certainly proceed as soon as dr scott is able to get to me.

He has answer all emails in a most helpful and very clear fashion.

I will post my observations once the work is done.

hi mate.

julian is a very nice bloke very helpfull, like you just said he answers all ur email calls ect ect..

hes comming round this wednesday to calibrate, cant wait :thumbsup:

ive read many things on this fourm about how difficult it is to calibrate the vt20 and not having a full cms in the tv ect ect.., i have informed him as much as i can about it so he is totally aware about my tv when he turns up to calibrate and hopefully he will find away around these issues.

he has rest assured me he will get the tv pic to where it should be and he allways does his home on the tv that he is going to calibrate! he has defo put my mind at rest about concerns that i had. :thumbsup:

i am defo looking forward to meet the main man :D

How did it go jav123?

were abouts do you live ? may be you can book him for this week as well, we may get a discount from him :D

On the wirral, a long way away.
Nice idea though.
All being well ( wifes permission) i will have mine done next tuesday 13 th september.
Keep in contact.

got my tv calibrated, took 2 days to do,

2d picture = very pleased i can and inlcuding my mrs can see a big diffrence in the colours especially the blue, i personally thought my tv was slightly over powered in yellow with THX mode but was very surprised that it was overally powered with blue!
the blues are alot more suttle and very natural looking, and i defo sense a little more dephth in the picture and the blacks have defo improved too after 1000-1500 hours use on the panel.:thumbsup:

3d picture calibration = :rolleyes: i dont know why i am rolling my eyes to be honest it should be julian lol, what a nightmare for him!, and i woke up with dead arms aswell!, as the glasses kept going out of sinc with the tv as the glasses were pushed against the screen the sensors of the glasses wouldnt be picked up so i had to hold the calibrating sensor thingy with the glasses attached to it in front of the tv far enough from the screen so the glasses would stay in sinc and stay on :rolleyes:.

i was expecting and hoping to get more contrast (brightness) out of the picture but its waked on max and its as far as it will go :(.

the colours looks slightly diffrent, to be perfecty honest as a whole on 3d i cannot see a great deal of diffrence,

julian is a star, very friendly and helpfull and thankfully we now have some one in the midlands.

highly recommend them

If this is Canary Jules then he is a newly qualified calibrator, but in order to pass the THX certification (IIRC) he has to have 10 calibrations approved, which he has clearly done. Aside from this, it cost him in the region of £4500 to get certified and buy that equipment, so if it's £199 as per the website, then frankly that's a bit of a bargain imho.

I can recommend Jules, he has recently calibrated my JVC 750HD projector to THX standards. I am delighted with the results. If you've made the investment in hi quality equipment, it makes sense to have it calibrated to get the best possible picture.

I have also just booked in Julian Scott to work on my KRP 500 this weekend. Seems an excellent bloke with bags of knowledge and passion for what he does best.

I've just fired off an email to Dr Julian Scott @ http://www.displaycalibration.co.uk to enquire about a calibration for my Samsung PS59D6900... I'm really pleased with the picture quality already to be honest but just want to know I'm getting the best out of the set. Does anyone know if the price will include calibrating the 3D settings and my AVR?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom