Disney's The Mandalorian Season 1 Review & Comments

Yeah it's a bit confusing and it's going to mislead people in thinking the whole season is available. Should of just called it episode 1 review as that's what it is.

Going to wait for a full season binge. Will do the "One Month Free" to achieve it.

Ok, I created my account on apple.com (set to US), then you need to complete your setup on a device by purchasing something from the store. It can be a free item. I finished it on an iPad but worth trying on the ATV?

In the middle of this now. I installed iTunes on a Windows PC. Logged onto my existing account. Changed region to US , cancelled next dialogue box, signed out. Then browsed the iTunes music store, to verify purchases in dollars, then just clicked on the 'Purchased' menu item on the right, and it invited me to create a new US account. Waiting for an iTunes gift card now to arrive in email from amazon.com.

Seen this on how to watch Disney from outside the U.S
  1. As a start, subscribe to VPN service that has servers in the countries where Disney+ is launching. As your guide, I recommend ExpressVPN.
  2. Next, head over to your App Store and download their dedicated VPN client.
  3. Now, sign in with your VPN credentials and navigate to the server list.
  4. Your best option would be an American server. Click on that and hit connect.
  5. Wait a few seconds for the connection to take place.
  6. Launch Disney+
    if anyone wants to give it a try, let me know if it actually works.

In the middle of this now. I installed iTunes on a Windows PC. Logged onto my existing account. Changed region to US , cancelled next dialogue box, signed out. Then browsed the iTunes music store, to verify purchases in dollars, then just clicked on the 'Purchased' menu item on the right, and it invited me to create a new US account. Waiting for an iTunes gift card now to arrive in email from amazon.com.
And I’m in. Wasted over an hour trying to get NordVPN (already had it) to work as a proxy. Resorted to free Smartdns trial. Entered DNS manually into AppleTV, changed region to US, added US iTunes account, restarted ATV and there were all the US apps promoted inc. Disney+. Signed up to D+ , confusingly it showed £ not $ on signup, but at finish said it would charge my iTunes every month $6.99

which all sorts of making us wait 4 months even more pointless and annoying - no doubt a lot of accidental viewings will continue to occur

Do i need to have seen Star Wars films to enjoy this show?
No. This can be watched on many different levels. However if you haven't even seen Boba Fet before then you will have to build up your relationship from scratch as opposed to many of us who at least know what kind of character this is even if we don't know exactly who he is.

Too early to ask about a dvd release date?:D

Too early to ask about a dvd release date?:D
Not a chance, Disney’s ultimate goal is to kill any and all physical media. Meaning that anytime you want to watch any of their content you will have to subscribe to their service, you will never own it. The digital version of book burning.

See what happens when you wait and think about your Star Wars purchase Disney? Add a decent director and you have a great product so far exploring the Star Wars universe without any ties to, well, the Star Wars universe. Then the huge hype and so far a product that lives up to it.

I'm far more happy with this and would be happy if we got this first and you waited to a decent new trilogy.

Who's will to bet against Disney give Favreau a film deal?

Dave Filoni will get a trilogy after Rebels and this he has to be given it

I do recommend Rebels and the Clone Wars series.

Folks think they're something like Ben 10 but they're very well made and quite detailed.
Some of the stories are awesome.
Worth getting the boxsets, the kids will love it too.

I do recommend Rebels and the Clone Wars series.
Worth getting the boxsets, the kids will love it too.

But they're all on Disney+ now?

I do see why we're getting all of the stories that this is the death of physical media, at least for Disney. The entire archive is due to be permanently on there, with any 'extras' made for the discs. No 3D though. We'll have to watch this space I guess.

But they're all on Disney+ now?

I do see why we're getting all of the stories that this is the death of physical media, at least for Disney. The entire archive is due to be permanently on there, with any 'extras' made for the discs. No 3D though. We'll have to watch this space I guess.
I brought them on digital from US retailers. You can get the complete series for like $20.
Did the same for GOT. I do like physical media also, old skool media will always be around as you can't be on the network all the time so they come in handy.
Think there is new season of Clone Wars upon us very soon if I'm not mistaken. Always felt that story had unfinished business!
3D never worked for me, it's like marmite.

I was very underwhelmed. It looked great, but the tone felt very disjointed and I just didn't care about the main character. All the supporting characters seemed much more interesting. Perhaps because it was directed by Dave Filoni, it did feel like a live action episode of Clone Wars or Rebels. I'll keep watching, but it didn't grab me in the way I'd hoped.

An interesting piece on a weapon seen in the Mandalorian, plus (Maybe) a very much earlier glimpse of the IG Robot :)

Hi Cas, I was just wondering why AVF is reviewing Disney+ stuff, which we can't get, and not reviewing Apple TV+ stuff, which we can? No issue with reviewing The Mandalorian, I just wondered if there as a reson the Apple shows haven't been reviewed? (Cos they're pretty darn good for the most part). :D

Please note this is NOT a criticism: You're the hardest working reviewer I've ever come across and I used to run three gaming magazines!

sort of fair point but I guess a show set in the star wars universe trumps all

fwiw I agree that the apple shows I have watch for all mankind and see are both impressive especially for video and audio quality - enjoying mankind a lot and glad to see season 2 already approved - still don't like the one episode a week though

Episode 2 out today.
I really enjoyed episode 1. Dropped back in to the Star Wars universe with some nice nods to the rest of the series without being too overt. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into it. Glad I've watched episode 1 already as I've happened across some spoilers in Google News headlines, which would've been a little disappointing if I hadn't already seen it.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I assume many are stealing this? I can't be bothered with a VPN and as I'm not a thief, I'll wait. Interesting to see Cas liked it though, as it's been getting some mediocre reviews elsewhere which made me less bothered by the lack of Disney+ here.

I'm more interested in Rise of Skywalker not being a complete and utter train wreck, as Last Jedi was. This is such a broken franchise, the bad movies massively outweigh the good.

Thanks for the review Cas.

Will be trying the VPN route myself, but waiting till closer to Xmas and there's 4 or 5 ready to watch.

I doubt anyone is surprised about the piracy element as mentioned in the other thread. That's what you get when you delay a release in a region for so long. People won't wait and I don't blame them. A few weeks, a month, maybe. I'd have been happy with that.

I appreciate that die hard fans may want to see this, but stealing is stealing. There's no grey area. It's illegal, and just because something isn't available here doesn't mean it's okay to simply take it. Piracy is cancer and it's never acceptable, ever.

true and enthusiastically stated

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom