Quantcast

Disney's The Mandalorian Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Hi Cas, I was just wondering why AVF is reviewing Disney+ stuff, which we can't get, and not reviewing Apple TV+ stuff, which we can? No issue with reviewing The Mandalorian, I just wondered if there as a reson the Apple shows haven't been reviewed? (Cos they're pretty darn good for the most part). :D

Please note this is NOT a criticism: You're the hardest working reviewer I've ever come across and I used to run three gaming magazines!
Well it's funny you should say that, should be ATV'd by next week so watch this space. Can't wait for Mankind.

jakimp

Well it's funny you should say that, should be ATV'd by next week so watch this space. Can't wait for Mankind.
I watched the first 4 eps of mankind in my 1 week trial (stingy gits!!) and i think you will like it Cas - happy to help with the reviews if AVF will stump up for the subscription to ATV 😉

Slinkywizard

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I assume many are stealing this? I can't be bothered with a VPN and as I'm not a thief, I'll wait. Interesting to see Cas liked it though, as it's been getting some mediocre reviews elsewhere which made me less bothered by the lack of Disney+ here.

I'm more interested in Rise of Skywalker not being a complete and utter train wreck, as Last Jedi was. This is such a broken franchise, the bad movies massively outweigh the good.
I'm stealing it yes. Tried to jump through the hoops to use a US itunes account and DNS proxy and all that business but gave up. I'll gladly pay for it, and will pay for it when it arrives. I don't really share your outrage. It's not a big deal.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Be interested in your thoughts on See. I lasted 10 minutes and gave up. It was so stupid as to be a borderline comedy. I mean, in a world of blind people why would you have earrings and bodybuilders?

Evinger

I don't really share your outrage. It's not a big deal.
Sorry, but although I think Disney should have held off on the service until they could start it in at least most countries, I can't agree with your view. This is an excuse that's been used by every person who illegally downloaded Films / Music / Series. You'll find my rant about the destruction that illegal downloads caused to the Music Business elsewhere on this site (I work in the Live Concert side of that Business). You may as well say that stealing a packet of crisps from the corner shop doesn't matter. To me, (And the shopkeeper), it does.
But very pleased to hear that you will be paying for the service when it is available over here. :thumbsup:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Sorry, but although I think Disney should have held off on the service until they could start it in at least most countries, I can't agree with your view. This is an excuse that's been used by every person who illegally downloaded Films / Music / Series. You'll find my rant about the destruction that illegal downloads caused to the Music Business elsewhere on this site (I work in the Live Concert side of that Business). You may as well say that stealing a packet of crisps from the corner shop doesn't matter. To me, (And the shopkeeper), it does.
But very pleased to hear that you will be paying for the service when it is available over here. :thumbsup:
Like I said, I did try and jump through the hoops to pay for it. But even then you'd be in breach of terms and conditions of the service so anyone that has watched it has broken the rules in some way. I do make an effort to do things the right way. I bought an AppleTV 4k specifically to rent itunes movies and even pay for their streaming service despite how limited it is. I can't really agree that nicking stuff from your local corner shop is the same as torrenting the mandalorian from a trillion dollar company.

Superleedsdub

Episode 2 is just 30 minutes long, all this hype for short episodes. I was personally expecting 60 minute run times on each episode. I think I now feel how last Jedi haters felt when the film they expected didn't arrive....

luvfilm

I assume many are stealing this? I can't be bothered with a VPN and as I'm not a thief, I'll wait. Interesting to see Cas liked it though, as it's been getting some mediocre reviews elsewhere which made me less bothered by the lack of Disney+ here.

I'm more interested in Rise of Skywalker not being a complete and utter train wreck, as Last Jedi was. This is such a broken franchise, the bad movies massively outweigh the good.
Piracy may be bad but to pretend its not been getting majority amazing reviews is ridiculous. It is like you are trying to pretend its not that good anyway and you are not missing out.

Evinger

Episode 2 is just 30 minutes long, all this hype for short episodes. I was personally expecting 60 minute run times on each episode. I think I now feel how last Jedi haters felt when the film they expected didn't arrive....
We've got so used to Binge - watching series, or at least watching as many episodes a night as we want, that it would be difficult to go back to the wait-another-week mode of watching. Must be said, with GoT for instance, keeping away from spoilers was a full-time job!
So for this one it's definitely easy to hold off until the series is complete, especially with 30 minute episodes - yeuch!

Slinkywizard

See comments on TLJ like this everywhere, as if it's universally accepted that it was a bad film/bad Star Wars film. Well, it's not universally accepted. All Star Wars films have the odd thing to moan about, but TLJ, for me, as someone who used to collect the original toys in the 70s and 80s, a lifelong fan of the franchise, TLJ was/is just fantastic. A brilliant, brilliant film and possibly the best of all the Star Wars films. I'm not alone on this – people who I have watched it with, who are not as invested in the franchise have bloody loved it. Mark Kermode and other noted movie critics also label it ‘the best Star Wars movie’. Anyway, it is not accepted that it is bad. Divisive, definitely.

Personally, I choose not to pick things to pieces when it's not already in pieces when you find it (looking at you, Jack Ryan) because you can't enjoy anything that way. Complaining about the logic in something set in the real world, something representing reality is one thing – break reality and it all falls apart (looking at you again, Jack Ryan), but in an intergalactic saga about space-magic, hating on it for putting strong female characters front and centre, turning Luke into a bitter old man, not explaining in detail where Snoke came from (which they never did with the Emperor until the prequels), or actually believing the Red Herring of Rey’s parents being nobodies is just daft to me. I’m looking forward to all the ‘hot takes’ from critics who go back and applaud it once Rise Of Skywalker is out and suddenly it all makes sense.

It's easy to forget just how bad the prequels were. Seriously, go back and watch The Phantom Menace and rant about that – it deserves it.

Last edited:

Evinger

luvfilm

See comments on TLJ like this everywhere, as if it's universally accepted that it was a bad film/bad Star Wars film. Well, it's not universally accepted. All Star Wars films have the odd thing to moan about, but TLJ, for me, as someone who used to collect the original toys in the 70s and 80s, a lifelong fan of the franchise, TLJ was/is just fantastic. A brilliant, brilliant film and possibly the best of all the Star Wars films. I'm not alone on this – people who I have watched it with, who are not as invested in the franshise have just bloody loved it. Mark Kermode and other noted movie critics also label it the best Star Wars movie. Anyway, it is not accepted that it is bad. Divisive, definitely.

Personally, I choose not to pick things to pieces because, let's face it, you can't enjoy anything that way. Complaining about the logic in an intergalactic saga about space-magic is not only self-defeating, but completely daft. It's easy to forget just how bad the prequels were. Seriously, go back and watch The Phantom Menace and rant about that – it deserves it.
TLJ is one of the best star wars films for me. It has it all, amazing action scenes, the cinematography is off the charts, character progression is there

But hey Luke was too angry so its worst film ever lol

And i will double down too, Phantom Menace is not a bad film, may not be the best but more than watchable multiple times!

richp007

Distinguished Member
I appreciate that die hard fans may want to see this, but stealing is stealing. There's no grey area. It's illegal, and just because something isn't available here doesn't mean it's okay to simply take it. Piracy is cancer and it's never acceptable, ever.
If there's no grey area then you are also implying that anyone using a VPN to watch this is also in the wrong. As that's not strictly by the book either. Not as bad as torrenting though of course.

Either way it hasn't been helped by a frankly poor decision to lock most of an entire continent (it is most of Europe isn't it?) out for so long. Like I said previous, a few weeks or a month and most would have been fine with waiting. March though, absolutely ridiculous. Regardless of any agreement with Sky, I'm sure they could have come to some kind of mutual arrangement for the next few months.

Especially given the release of perhaps the biggest Star Wars film of the lot in December.

Slinkywizard

TLJ is one of the best star wars films for me. It has it all, amazing action scenes, the cinematography is off the charts, character progression is there

But hey Luke was too angry so its worst film ever lol

And i will double down too, Phantom Menace is not a bad film, may not be the best but more than watchable multiple times!
No, it's not a bad film, it is an average one. It is, however, a bad Star Wars film – set alongside the rest in the series, IMO.

luvfilm

No, it's not a bad film, it is an average one. It is, however, a bad Star Wars film – set alongside the rest in the series, IMO.
6.5/10 for me

but then i reckon empire is overated... lol

Maybe because i didnt watch it till my 20s, sure as a kid it may have been more magical

Slinkywizard

6.5/10 for me

but then i reckon empire is overated... lol

Maybe because i didnt watch it till my 20s, sure as a kid it may have been more magical
BURN THE HERETIC!

Evinger

See comments on TLJ like this everywhere, as if it's universally accepted that it was a bad film/bad Star Wars film. Well, it's not universally accepted. All Star Wars films have the odd thing to moan about, but TLJ, for me, as someone who used to collect the original toys in the 70s and 80s, a lifelong fan of the franchise, TLJ was/is just fantastic. A brilliant, brilliant film and possibly the best of all the Star Wars films. I'm not alone on this – people who I have watched it with, who are not as invested in the franshise have just bloody loved it. Mark Kermode and other noted movie critics also label it the best Star Wars movie. Anyway, it is not accepted that it is bad. Divisive, definitely.

Personally, I choose not to pick things to pieces because, let's face it, you can't enjoy anything that way. Complaining about the logic in an intergalactic saga about space-magic is not only self-defeating, but completely daft. It's easy to forget just how bad the prequels were. Seriously, go back and watch The Phantom Menace and rant about that – it deserves it.
For the prequels & TLJ, skip scene, or fast-forward, is my friend - but there are some great moments in all of those movies.
Very excited that Disney+ has the original trilogy in 4k plus Atmos. But apparently, it does not remember where you got to in a Movie if you leave the App! iTunes has this down, so, -5 points to the Mouse for that!

Evinger

Slinkywizard

30 minutes?! What a swizz! I can't stand 30-minute shows. They're over before they've begun.

Superleedsdub

Perhaps the first 2 episodes are short as they were released in the same week? Maybe the other episodes are longer (clutching at straws here)