Disney's The Mandalorian Season 1 Review & Comments

Coulson

Thanks Cas, I didn't even think about Rouge One but you are right, this does have that kind of feel. I really enjoyed watching this. What really impressed me was that even though he was wearing the mask I could still see (?) what he was thinking. There was another scene with storm troopers where I felt the same about them too. I knew what they were thinking even though they didn't say much and were wearing full gear.

It looks pretty decent too in HDR but the Atmos sound was wrong. I know that sounds weird but it was just wrong.

Hampy1972

Was in 2160p with Atmos.
Awesome.
Loved the starter.
Interesting characters.
Big budget production tells.
Downside the episode was a bit short but it's OK
Pascal was born to play this role.
I want one of those Burgg. :)

9/10

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Do i need to have seen star wars films to understand this ?

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed it enough, but the episode only had 36 minutes of content. Way too short for a tentpole series in my opinion.
If anything does tie into Rise, it'll have to be halfway through its run. All seems a bit messy, can't see it myself.

scrowe

So I assume everyone is finding non-Disney+ sources for this, or does everyone who has seen it have a US-addresses credit card and VPN, via AppleTV or FireTV? Any other methods?

Chance1971

Novice Member
I saw the first episode (don't ask, nudge nudge wink wink) and I loved it. It's probably one of the best first episodes of a series that I have seen in a very long time. A lot of reviews have had issues with some of the VFX, in particular the Burggs' movement. Now this could just be fanciful thinking on my part, but when I saw those scenes, my first thought was that it looked as if they were trying to replicate the stop-motion effects from the original films. Any thoughts?

Coulson

So I assume everyone is finding non-Disney+ sources for this,
How dare you sir! How dare you impune the character of the fine and upstanding members of this esteemed organ.....I slap you across your face with my gloves......twice!

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
So I assume everyone is finding non-Disney+ sources for this, or does everyone who has seen it have a US-addresses credit card and VPN, via AppleTV or FireTV? Any other methods?
I spent a long time researching and asking questions here, then trying and failing to pay for this piece of content. Couldn't get it to work. So I went the easy route. Bloody crazy really.

Coulson

What was weird was the Disney+ adverts on AVforums. When I clicked on it, nothing happened which I suppose isn't surprising.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I saw the first episode (don't ask, nudge nudge wink wink) and I loved it. It's probably one of the best first episodes of a series that I have seen in a very long time. A lot of reviews have had issues with some of the VFX, in particular the Burggs' movement. Now this could just be fanciful thinking on my part, but when I saw those scenes, my first thought was that it looked as if they were trying to replicate the stop-motion effects from the original films. Any thoughts?
I think that's a generous take. I thought the effects and sets were great. But the Burggs walk was a bit PS3 for sure.

sirbadger

I spent a long time researching and asking questions here, then trying and failing to pay for this piece of content. Couldn't get it to work. So I went the easy route. Bloody crazy really.
I believe they were having service issues at times, might be worth giving it another go at some point. It is annoying that we have to wait in the UK to get it, but I understand that's due to licencing.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I believe they were having service issues at times, might be worth giving it another go at some point. It is annoying that we have to wait in the UK to get it, but I understand that's due to licencing.
It's the US itunes account I can't setup. I don't have any other apple devices other than the ATV. That seems to be the issue. Anyway, I've given up on it now. Disney will get my money as soon as they launch in April so it's an IOU until then.

scrowe

Just checked the Disney+ thread. Too many hoops for me. I’d settled with the 4-5 month wait, but all the online and social media hype hit me twitchy, and @Casimir Harlow ruined me with this review, Bah!

Thing that pisses me off is that the reason I am happy to pay is that I also wanted to watch the Clone Wars and animated sequels, never seen them before.The excuse on UK delay is rumoured to be tied to Sky’s UK distribution rights, but I can’t get any of the animated shows on-demand from Sky as it stands either.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Just checked the Disney+ thread. Too many hoops for me. I’d settled with the 4-5 month wait, but all the online and social media hype hit me twitchy, and @Casimir Harlow ruined me with this review, Bah!

Thing that pisses me off is that the reason I am happy to pay is that I also wanted to watch the Clone Wars and animated sequels, never seen them before.The excuse on UK delay is rumoured to be tied to Sky’s UK distribution rights, but I can’t get any of the animated shows on-demand from Sky as it stands either.
I'd guess if they launched with just the content they could it would have received very poor press from uneducated mainstream reviewers as having a tiny library. So they're taking the hit with the inevitable rampant piracy, banking on high uptake when they do launch. I can see why they did it.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
It's the US itunes account I can't setup. I don't have any other apple devices other than the ATV. That seems to be the issue. Anyway, I've given up on it now. Disney will get my money as soon as they launch in April so it's an IOU until then.
Do you have a ps4 or Xbox? There's Disney+ apps for those out in the US so you could maybe access it through that?

sirbadger

Ok, I created my account on apple.com (set to US), then you need to complete your setup on a device by purchasing something from the store. It can be a free item. I finished it on an iPad but worth trying on the ATV?

richp007

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas.

Will be trying the VPN route myself, but waiting till closer to Xmas and there's 4 or 5 ready to watch.

I doubt anyone is surprised about the piracy element as mentioned in the other thread. That's what you get when you delay a release in a region for so long. People won't wait and I don't blame them. A few weeks, a month, maybe. I'd have been happy with that.

Matson

Distinguished Member
Yeah it's a bit confusing and it's going to mislead people in thinking the whole season is available. Should of just called it episode 1 review as that's what it is.

Evinger

Going to wait for a full season binge. Will do the "One Month Free" to achieve it.

scrowe

Ok, I created my account on apple.com (set to US), then you need to complete your setup on a device by purchasing something from the store. It can be a free item. I finished it on an iPad but worth trying on the ATV?
In the middle of this now. I installed iTunes on a Windows PC. Logged onto my existing account. Changed region to US , cancelled next dialogue box, signed out. Then browsed the iTunes music store, to verify purchases in dollars, then just clicked on the 'Purchased' menu item on the right, and it invited me to create a new US account. Waiting for an iTunes gift card now to arrive in email from amazon.com.