Disney's Cruella (May 28, 2021) Live-Action

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Emma Stone in early talks to play villainess Cruella de Vil, in Disney's live-action re-imagining of 101 Dalmatians.

The origin story script by Kelly Marcel, previously worked by Aline Brosh McKenna.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Former Game of Thrones, Trollied star Joel Fry will play Jasper

Unknown.jpeg

DalekbusterTV

I'm still not entirely sure how this film is going to work. How are we supposed to sympathise with someone who skins dogs for fur coats?

Her name is literally 'CRUEL-la', and the way she's holding the dalmatians' leads in that picture only reinforces that. I can see this being poorly received by the critics.

Garrett

I'm still not entirely sure how this film is going to work. How are we supposed to sympathise with someone who skins dogs for fur coats?

Her name is literally 'CRUEL-la', and the way she's holding the dalmatians' leads in that picture only reinforces that. I can see this being poorly received by the critics.
Looks like after she skins them, she feed the rest to her henchman on the left of the picture:rolleyes:

bash

Maybe its a dark comedy in the vein of something like Deadpool? This should have been made 15 rated and gone all out in the shock department. Yeah, I know, it'll make less money blah blah blah

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member

I don't disagree, but I think if Joaquin Phoenix can get plaudits as the Joker, then surely this can also work.

There's the same problem at the heart of the Joker film: tortured outcast Joaquin grows up to be the psychopathic murderer we all know and love. But no-one's talking about it on that thread.

DalekbusterTV

I don't disagree, but I think if Joaquin Phoenix can get plaudits as the Joker, then surely this can also work.

There's the same problem at the heart of the Joker film: tortured outcast Joaquin grows up to be the psychopathic murderer we all know and love. But no-one's talking about it on that thread.
I think the difference with Joker is that you can make the Joker more of a tragic figure. From what I can gather the character's origin in that film is that he's a failed comedian. People are laughing at him rather than with him. I would imagine the point is that his isolation from society leads him to losing his grip on his sanity.

With Cruella I don't really see how you can do that. She has her loyal accomplices in Jasper and Horace so can't really be described as a loner, and society has clearly treated her very well given her love for fur coats. The only possible angle I can see them taking is showing some nasty encounter she had with a dog in the past that led to a psychological scar; some deep-rooted fear of dogs that she never got over, and led to her seeing them as nothing more than a commodity to be exposed for her fashion desires.

Garrett

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett