1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disney to roll out self-destructing DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by steev, May 22, 2003.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the story on HCC. It's not really true to say this is to fight piracy. If it's a standard format DVD, which is has to be to play on all players, you can rip it as easily as a normal one (not that I indulge in illegal copying).

It's more about encouraging people to rent as they don't have to take it back.

Personally I'm against this on environmental grounds even though I've seen elsewhere that they will be taking the expired disks back for recycling. They'd have to charge a refundable deposit to get a decent return rate.

Just my 2p

--
    Steve
    www.bagofspoons.net

2. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that this will achieve will be the final and much anticipated death of the video shop. These things will probably end up alongside the full price release in shops, for a fraction of the price, as well as garages, corner shops etc.

If this is a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know. As Steev says, there will be an awful lot of unusable discs knocking about, perhaps even more so than those AOL ones.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It's just ridiculous.

People will just bin them.

I'd say 48 hours is ample time to run off one mega brilliant copy to be a master copy!

For purposes of piracy, it wouldn't matter much as long as it was a good copy.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What the hell i havent seen HCC anybody got a link to the full story???

5. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They would certainly be giving AOL a run for their money in who can generate the largest corporate landfill.

:thumbsdow

7. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another case of short sighted businesses that are more interested in profit than ensuring the future generations of the human race have a non-toxic eco system to live in.

I know that not everything can be recycled efficiently, and that sine waste is unavoidable, but surely, in these enlightened times, it is obvious that this idea of Disney's is a no-brainer!

Still, it probably costs them less to produce the discs than it does to dispose of them in a safe and environmentally friendly way, so why should they give a damn. After all, there's money to be made!

Altogether now,

It's a small world after all (cos it's full of bloody rubbish)
    It's a small, small world (cos it's full of bloody rubbish)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just had a thought. ( I know my heads is over heating as i type) With these disoposable "DVD's" surley they will cost less. OK so you go out buy one RIp it to a PC Burn it back to a DVD-/+R and hey presto the whole thing lasting for a lot longer and a nice coaster! I wasn't an advocate of priacy but if they launch this i think everyone should pirate them all to give one big up yours to Disney!!!!!
    PS if the darn thing wont play properly ie break up sound drop outs etc and you take it back to the shop what are your chances of a refund? 100% or 0%