Disney+'s Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Final Season TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Something worth mentioning, especially here, is that the Dolby Vision version on Disney+ is, to my uneducated eyes at least, *breathtaking* at times. Every time Ahsoka sparks her blades in the last four episodes is gorgeous and a fantastic use of HDR. The final duel of the series (and no more detail for boy is that deep in spoiler territory!) is possibly the best in the entire franchise aided by the impending sense of dread that builds over everything as you realise where we are in the timeline... The action sequences too are brilliant, taking the best OMG moments from certain games and toning them down just enough to fit in the wider canon.

Yet none of this matters, at all, if we don't care for the characters and here the TV show format really pays off. Using the luxury of time brilliantly well they've let these characters both new and old breathe and grow in a way that's surprisingly seamless with the movies and, if anything, enhances what was already there. In an era of Fantastic Beasts and Hobbits that's no small feat. Ahsoka works as well as she does precisely because they can afford to give you a rather overconfident teenager in the beginning and watch her grow into her place within the universe.

There's also a really nice mirror here between the prequel trilogy focusing on the Jedi bond between Obi and Anakin and the friendship between Ahsoka and Rex. The code of the Jedi and their emotional distancing is, ultimately, what lets Anakin fall into darkness. Ahsoka, after getting colossally dumped on from a great height by the Jedi Order, basically tells them to go do one and finds her own path. Doing so might just be the reason she's the *only* trained Jedi after Order 66 to look at hiding or running and go 'nope, screw that, time to fight back'. Not that we'd expect anything less from her of course!

If you're coming fresh to the series series 1 and 2 can have their ups and downs just as any new show tends to. Stick with it and there's some fantastic material to enjoy and, yes, maybe a fair few tears on the way too. If you don't particularly want to dive into a 7 series show I think you can probably get away with watching the last eight episodes of Series 7 as if they were a couple of movies provided you know the films. There's just about enough recap on Ahsoka to make it work and by the time the final arc kicks in you'll be up to speed to the point it can sweep you along. Either way make the time for this, it just might be some of the best Star Wars ever made.

If you're coming fresh to the series series 1 and 2 can have their ups and downs just as any new show tends to. Stick with it and there's some fantastic material to enjoy and, yes, maybe a fair few tears on the way too. If you don't particularly want to dive into a 7 series show I think you can probably get away with watching the last eight episodes of Series 7 as if they were a couple of movies provided you know the films. There's just about enough recap on Ahsoka to make it work and by the time the final arc kicks in you'll be up to speed to the point it can sweep you along. Either way make the time for this, it just might be some of the best Star Wars ever made.

I'd recommend to anyone watching it from the start (now's the best time!) but if you're going to dive into the end, I'd actually watch the final arc in Season 5 (to see what happened to Ahsoka) before watching the final season, even if that cost you the first arc in the final season.

Agree though, some of the best Star Wars ever made.

Agreed - some of the best Star Wars material out there. Any fan who hasn't seen it owes it to theselves to watch it.
Ahsoka is one of the best characters (possibly THE best) the franchise has ever come up with. Being able to and see what was going on with her during Order 66 and the overal timeline was great to see. So glad Disney came back to finish it off.

Just watched the final and damn to think the show ended and that could have been it then years later we get it awesome proper final which features some of the best content of the whole lot.

I've recently started watching The Clones Wars for the first time. I'm only part way through season 2 but I'm already hooked. I've just watched the Geonosis episodes of s2 and was absolutely gripped. Epic battles and amazingly cinematic.

I don't want to rush through the whole thing too quickly so I'm just watching 1 or 2 episodes per evening. Part of me wishes I started watching it all years ago but another part of me is glad that I didn't as I get to watch it all now for the first time and I don't have to wait years to see the latest season.

Now you're all making me think I should be starting from Season 1..... :laugh:

Now you're all making me think I should be starting from Season 1..... :laugh:

As @Indiana Jones said on the other thread, you may be better off starting with the film. It's not a great start, but it does introduce Ahsoka, which is pretty integral to the subsequent 7 seasons...

Cas, thanks for the review, I've never seen any of these, and since I've just treated myself to a firestick and a disney + sub, i will be starting these from the very beginning...

apparently disney + has give us this narrative as were everything fits into the universe which is useful
1588601354314.png

• Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars Rebels
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars: A New Hope
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
  • The Mandalorian
  • Star Wars Resistance
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

1588601354314.png

Last edited:

Blown away by the last 4 episodes (literally just finished 10 minutes ago) and impressed with the season in general.

While it's perhaps unfair to compare the film trilogy (with its concerns over box office return and wide general audience appeal) to a dedicated tv series aimed squarely at fans; I think its undisputable that this is superior Star Wars.

What did you think of the score? I thought the music during the sequence where
Maul is transported aboard the Venator just before the hammer drops for Order 66
was like something out of Blade Runner 2049. And in fact, the episodes had that same portentious tone. Incredible.

The worst thing about the series is that it left me wanting more!

Blown away by the last 4 episodes (literally just finished 10 minutes ago) and impressed with the season in general.

While it's perhaps unfair to compare the film trilogy (with its concerns over box office return and wide general audience appeal) to a dedicated tv series aimed squarely at fans; I think its undisputable that this is superior Star Wars.

What did you think of the score? I thought the music during the sequence where
Maul is transported aboard the Venator just before the hammer drops for Order 66
was like something out of Blade Runner 2049. And in fact, the episodes had that same portentious tone. Incredible.

The worst thing about the series is that it left me wanting more!

Dammit, I can't believe I forgot to mention that. YES. Pure Blade Runner 2049. Totally. I just wish they'd kept it going for the final episode. Dammit, I'll edit the review now.

And yes, left me wanting more, but this is a perfect opportunity to watch Rebels properly, and then we have her appearance in Mandalorian to look forward to.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have an Ahsoka series in the workings. She's too good a character to leave now, and it'd be interesting to see what happened to her during the OT timeline.

Dammit, I can't believe I forgot to mention that. YES. Pure Blade Runner 2049. Totally. I just wish they'd kept it for the final episode. Dammit, I'll edit the review now.

And yes, left me wanting more, but this is a perfect opportunity to watch Rebels properly, and then we have her appearance in Mandalorian to look forward to.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have an Ahsoka series in the workings. She's too good a character to leave now, and it'd be interesting to see what happened to her during the OT timeline.

I just watched Rise of Skywalker alongside Clone Wars for my May 4th celebration watch. Pretty sure
Ahsoka's was one of the voices that called out to Rey
. I agree, an amazing character I really hope the rumours of
her cameoing in Mando (played by Rosario Dawson)
come to pass.

I just watched Rise of Skywalker alongside Clone Wars for my May 4th celebration watch. Pretty sure
Ahsoka's was one of the voices that called out to Rey
. I agree, an amazing character I really hope the rumours of
her cameoing in Mando (played by Rosario Dawson)
come to pass.

Not only a rumour that she'll be a Mando 2 guest star, but the further rumour that she might get her own spin-off show. I've *very* interested, particularly after this season finale.

Just wish I hadn't seen the Rebels 'reunion' first, as it would have had even more impact after this final season.

Well I guess this awesomeness means I'm starting from Season 1 Episode 1 then as a Clone Wars noobie :D

A fitting end to a series that never shied away from, at times, seriously dark themes. In fact, some of the series had arcing story lines that were so dark; it was hard to believe the show never got cancelled - considering it's intended audience demographic. However, what Filoni proved to be a master of; was adding in elements that could appeal to a wider age group, along with the twisty main story arcs that those with the benefit of increasing years could keenly follow.
The last series felt a bit like what the best story tellers aim for, in that it rounded the circle by concentrating on the clones and then Ahsoka, who got introduced in the movie, whilst leaving you hungry for much more. It though, admittedly, felt odd at times seeing her again in older form and being so strong with the force. The gap from when she chose to up sticks from the Jedi left a significant hole in knowing exactly what happened with her. We only really got tid bits and an ending involving her in Rebels but notably a few scenes with her and Maul and the hunger inducing briefest of scenes with a very new Darth Vader too. Considering how pretty lame Darth Maul was in the Star Wars film, it was a major relief to find what Filoni et al. did with him in the cartoons, voiced superbly with real depth by Sam Witwer.
Ahsoka neither, wouldn't have been so, without Ashley Eckstein's excellent playful, sincere and powerfully presented voicing work for her that first presented a naive near youngling, to a fully fledged character in her own right over the years. One of the things that kept her endearing, was not only her sense of right but also some self doubt at her place in the universe that kept her grounded and not annoyingly worthy.
The clones voiced by a great Dee Bradly Baker, were given some massive story arcs and proved to be a growing unit in character and worth as they weren't just simple automatons. I think a massive difference with a new show, should we be lucky enough to get one, will be that much of the humanity will be stripped from them in the relentless pursuit of Order 66. Whether more Vader could prove too much of a bad thing is also a question point for me - although Ventress was fun. But if they do another and have Ahsoka going after Ezra, what better villain of the piece could you wish for? I just got way ahead of myself. Ah, the hunger game that this has left millions with.

Well I guess this awesomeness means I'm starting from Season 1 Episode 1 then as a Clone Wars noobie :D

Watch a bit of the movie too "The Clone Wars" (also on Disney+) just to *meet* Ahsoka. But you can watch the beginning and end, and then go to the series. It's not unwatchable, but it's a lot more generic than the show.

Watch a bit of the movie too "The Clone Wars" (also on Disney+) just to *meet* Ahsoka. But you can watch the beginning and end, and then go to the series. It's not unwatchable, but it's a lot more generic than the show.

Is it not the "Rebels" thing I need to watch then; or both?

Won't lie, getting a bit lost now (doesn't take much :laugh: )

Is it not the "Rebels" thing I need to watch then; or both?

Won't lie, getting a bit lost now (doesn't take much :laugh: )

The timeline @golden phoenix posted above perfectly sums it up.

Basically watch Phantom Menace / Attack of the Clones (or skip through them), then watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars, an animated movie on Disney Plus (or skip through it and catch the most important parts - like the intro to Ahsoka), then watch the 7 seasons of The Clone Wars properly itself.

Don't worry about Rebels until after you've done all that. But yes, that comes next, in about 133 episodes' time...

I watched the final 4 episodes of Clone Wars and Rise of Skywalker yesterday for my May 4th thing.

Don't want to turn this into another sequel-bash, but its very telling how differently the two approach the same moral problem: the humanisation of Stormtroopers. Essentially, Rise of Skywalker doesn't deal with it at all. Clone Wars handles it beautifully.

I know I am putting myself up for public ridicule here but honestly thought this was a kids show! I now feel like I've totally missed out on something here! On the plus side we've got Disney+ so looks like I have 7 seasons to catch up on.

Not only a rumour that she'll be a Mando 2 guest star, but the further rumour that she might get her own spin-off show. I've *very* interested, particularly after this season finale.

Just wish I hadn't seen the Rebels 'reunion' first, as it would have had even more impact after this final season.
Thinking about this I'm pretty sure if Rebels doesn't exist we don't get that specific ending. Or, to be more accurate, I think we get a few more minutes of ending to deliver the traditional 'hope spot'. Baby Luke under the twin suns, watching the Falcon leave to find Han, Rey having the Jedi texts... it's kind of a thing now and frankly rightly so. This is, after all, supposed to be family entertainment and you don't want that audience feeling like they just binged Torchwood Children of Earth. As Rebels is not only out there but about five clicks away once you finish this episode they can go with a real gut punch ending instead knowing that those needing cheering up are about forty minutes away from "Kid, I'm about to let everyone in on the secret".

I know I am putting myself up for public ridicule here but honestly thought this was a kids show! I now feel like I've totally missed out on something here! On the plus side we've got Disney+ so looks like I have 7 seasons to catch up on.

It's not ridiculous. The first movie was definitely geared up for kids (even had a cinema release which I doubt many adults would have attended without being accompanied by their kids), but over the seasons it soon showed its teeth, and after 12 years even the original 'kids' would be grown up by now, so it's unsurprising that it stuck to a more mature tone, as commendable as that dedication is.

The last 4 episodes alone trump anything we've seen in the modern SW universe bar Rogue One.

Can only echo (no pun!) what has been said above. The last 4 episodes of series 7 are absolutely incredible, top tier star wars no question about it. Just give Filoni and Favreau the keys to star wars and let them get on with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom