Disney+'s Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Final Season TV Show Review & Comments

I was pretty disappointed to find out my Nvidia Shield (not the latest) doesn't currently support Atmos in the Disney+ app. Works otherwise, just Disney+. Shame but I'd rather get the UHD blu-rays anyway. The app is decently made though. The Prime Video one is a joke.

I tried watching first episode of season one but it looks like a PlayStation 2 cutscene, and I don’t think I’m going to get past that. And the fact I’m immediately overwhelmed by the sense I am watching something made exclusively for nine year-olds. Sorry, I think that makes me terrifically shallow. Someone tell me why/how I’m wrong? Is it worth it? Really? For a 45 year-old man?

Last edited:
I tried watching first episode of season one but it looks like a PlayStation 2 cutscene, and I don’t think I’m going to get past that. And the fact I’m immediately overwhelmed by the sense I am watching something made exclusively for nine year-olds. Sorry, I think that makes me terrifically shallow. Someone tell me why/how I’m wrong? Is it worth it? Really? For a 45 year-old man?

Read the review and the two threads; you've already been given our answer. Unless you're trying to imply that we're all morons for liking a kids show?

To be honest I've changed my mind again :laugh: and I'm just going to watch all the key and of course best episodes.

I know some are quite short, but 133 episodes (I believe) to be cracking on with is far too many for me; when I already have about another 133 episodes of other shows to watch!

Been good reading people's thoughts though, and glad many have enjoyed it.

Read the review and the two threads; you've already been given our answer. Unless you're trying to imply that we're all morons for liking a kids show?
Alright grumpy grots. I want to watch this, I was just looking for some social proof that it’s possible to get past my initial problems with it from someone who had those same initial problems but ended up loving it. You know: Yeah, I thought that at first but by episode X it becomes better than sex. Or an arctic roll. That sort of thing.

All I’m getting from the pages you mention is ‘It’s great’, not ‘It’s great and you should stick with it even if it seems like a PS2 cutscene made for nine year-olds — cos it’s not’.

Forget it. I’ll give it another try sometime. Maybe.

Alright grumpy grots. I want to watch this, I was just looking for some social proof that it’s possible to get past my initial problems with it from someone who had those same initial problems but ended up loving it. You know: Yeah, I thought that at first but by episode X it becomes better than sex. Or an arctic roll. That sort of thing.

All I’m getting from the pages you mention is ‘It’s great’, not ‘It’s great and you should stick with it even if it seems like a PS2 cutscene made for nine year-olds — cos it’s not’.

I thought the movie was designed for kids, and it took me a good few episodes to forgive the series for that and believe it could be different.

I agree the animation has improved considerably over the last 12+ years, so the final season is absolutely stunning in DV. I'd say watch a clip / trailer on Disney+ for it but it would be chock full of spoilers so you run the risk of ruining some surprises.

Perhaps watch just a couple from the first season, like episode 10 (Lair of Grievous) and then move on to Season 2, from about episode 8. Watch that through the entire Grievous arc as well and see if that hooks you. If not, come back for more latter season recommendations, and consider just skipping to the final 4 episodes of Season 5 and the final 4 episodes of Season 7, which are almost like a mini-movie tying into the events in Revenge of the Sith...

Sorry for snapping. I haven't seen all of Clone Wars, but there is absolutely a noticeable improvement in quality, tone, visuals, voice acting, and motion capture evident between The Clone Wars tv movie (2008) and the new season. I would argue that the last 4 epsiodes are more adult than what we got in the sequel trilogy.

I'd suggest sticking with the movie, then maybe google 'best espisodes' (which I'll be doing)and watch those. Then watch season 7 which is only 12 episodes. The pay-off will absolutely be worth it.

I'll be on the hunt shortly @Slinkywizard for a best episodes list to watch (kinda like I've got ready for Picard), so I'll post it up when I find it.

Just found these:

and another, but this is more like 50 episodes.

Plenty of other lists too.

The 20 episodes list is solid, but don't read the synopses/reasoning; they spoil future episodes.

I'd agree that watching the early Ahsoka / Bariss episodes is probably a clever tactic though, for the very reasons highlighted.

Edit - the 50 ep list is better for no spoilers although, conversely, it doesn't even bother to describe some of the episodes or why they've been included.

Great lists though.

Last edited:
Perfect stuff.

Started The Mandalorian last night. It has gotten me in the mood for some more Star Wars but I'm not massively impressed after 3 episodes. But we'll see where it goes.

Was having a minor disagreement with a millennial on youtube who was complaining about the Rogue One reference in episode 12, saying it 'defiled' the episode. He was a passionate Disney hater/prequel lover (and a bit of a :censored:) that needed some educating on that film...

But it made me think: the way Rogue One tied into A New Hope, and recaptured that original trilogy childhood magic. That is basically what these last few episodes have done for Revenge of the Sith, and the prequel era.

@MarkusThatch sad? I agree with you! Filoni and Faveau for the win.
Sorry, sad to mean sad that they got it so wrong.

I liked throughout clone wars the little references to the OT, particularly certain phrases Anakin/Vader use.

What a fantastic conclusion to the Clone Wars!

The 4 part final episode was possibly the best treatment of the Star Wars story that I've seen; just edging out The Mandalorian and Rogue One, for now. It makes the latest trilogy's homages look positively ham-fisted.

I waited to watch Season 7 until I'd rewatched Seasons 1-6; having the various characters and sub-plots fresh in my mind, made it easier to pick up on the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) foreshadowing peppered throughout that I no doubt missed the first time around.

Watching the characters, plotlines, artwork and music/audio evolve in a relatively compressed period of time was fascinating. The cinematography and soundscape of that final scene was beautiful and looked more hyper-realistic live action than cartoon animation.

Despite the targetting of this show towards kids, it deals with some very adult issues and is well worth sticking with.

Sadly Star Wars Rebels suffers from the same conflicted messaging, but is also worth persevering with despite some cringeworthy early episodes. There are call-backs to The Clone Wars and some of the early Lucas-Arts PC Games, so if you're still hungry for more of the same, then give it a watch.

Next up, 2 Seaons of Star Wars Resistance, although I might rewatch Star Wars Rebels (again) first.

Dave Filoni for President (of Disney)!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom